We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

7th Heaven Forums

The CW (ended 2007)

Mary and Corey

GilmoreFan86

[1]Jan 24, 2011
    • level: 18

I am sure this has probably been discussed and there may be a topic for it already, but I didn't feel like searching through all the topics to find what I wanted.

So, now that I have all the seasons on DVD I am re-watching the series. I am on season 4 and just finished "Sin... " ".....and Expiation". We all know what happened in those episodes but in case you forgot that is when Mary and some of her friends trash the school gym in response to the team lockout. Now my problem isn't entirely that they trashed the gym. Its that it seems a bit of a reach for Mary and Corey to go that far. Especially when two episodes before Mary and Corey were being honored for their excellence in sports and academics. Also, with Corey being a mom, getting accepted to 3 Ivy League schools, and graduating with honors it seems a little bit much for her to make a complete change and be one of the students with falling grades and trashed the gym. And as for Mary. Yeah she skipped classes and got detention a few times, but to do something so bad as to trash the school gym seems a bit much. This was basically the beginning of her downward spiral. I don't think she ever would have done the things she did later if she hadn't made this one bad choice. But I guess I just don't get how she got to this choice. She was always so responsible and never did anything seriously wrong. It doesn't make sense to me.

How do good kids like Mary and Corey go from doing so well in school to barely passing? How do responsible kids like Mary and Corey go from "I'm really mad at the coach" to "Let's trash the gym"?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sallenj

[2]Jan 27, 2011
    • level: 16

I have to agree that there's a bit of dissonance there, especially when you are first watching it. I think they tried to foreshadow it, with Mary's class cutting (Isn't that what led to her being suspended for a game, and working concessions instead?), and such. I think it was also supposed to be one of those stories that snuck up on you, where there is the initial shock of "What happened to the Mary we all knew and loved?", but then, when you looked back, you could see the signs that pointed to it. The problem is, I don't think the show laid out enough bread crumbs that you could look back and actually see the trail, before just hitting us with the gym trashing incident. So, yeah, I see your point. I think they tried, but just didn't get it done.

That said, I think they did a pretty good job on following things up with Mary's "downward spiral" through the next couple of seasons.

leigh28

[3]Aug 17, 2011
    • level: 4

Well really Mary started doing things she wouldn't normally do when she stole that glass in season one.

sallenj

[4]Aug 17, 2011
    • level: 16

leigh28 wrote:

Well really Mary started doing things she wouldn't normally do when she stole that glass in season one.

That's an interesting point, leigh. Although, if her behavior goes all the way back to season 1, then wouldn't that mean that it wasn't a change, just a permanent part of her character, that got more pronounced as she got older?

Somehow, that doesn't comport with my ideas of "early Mary" character.

Edited on 08/17/2011 8:34am