7th Heaven Forums

The CW (ended 2007)

The Downfall of Ruthie Camden's character?

3333Joshua

[1]Aug 10, 2012
    • level: 1

Would anybody agree that Season 8 of 7th Heaven was the start of Ruthie Camden's character going downhill or which season of 7th Heaven do think she started to become unbearable?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ChipsTheButler

[2]Aug 11, 2012
    • level: 9
    It was when she shot JR

sallenj

[3]Aug 15, 2012
    • level: 16

Pay no attention to Chip. He's just posting to get a quick rise. Personally, I would date the beginning of Ruthie's decline to Season 9. She was still good in Seasons 9 and 10, though. In fact, my first exposure to the show, and to Ruthie, was first run episodes of Season 10, and Ruthie was my favorite character. Even having watched the rest of the series now, she retains that spot.

She really didn't become unbearable, in my opinion, untill Season 11, when the character fell off a cliff, and never really fully recovered.

mercygirl

[4]Aug 19, 2012
    • level: 2

By "fall off a cliff" you don't mean Ruthie literally fell off a cliff, right? I haven't seen any of Season 11, but I assume you're speaking figuratively by saying "fell off a cliff." Cause after reading the summeries, she didn't fall of a cliff in any of them. I'm sure I'm sounding pretty stupid but when I first read that, I really thought she fell of a cliff and almost died or something. Okay, I'm going to shut up now...but just tell me that I'm right, that you were speaking figuratively so that I knowI understand.

sallenj

[5]Aug 20, 2012
    • level: 16

mercygirl wrote:

By "fall off a cliff" you don't mean Ruthie literally fell off a cliff, right? I haven't seen any of Season 11, but I assume you're speaking figuratively by saying "fell off a cliff." Cause after reading the summeries, she didn't fall of a cliff in any of them. I'm sure I'm sounding pretty stupid but when I first read that, I really thought she fell of a cliff and almost died or something. Okay, I'm going to shut up now...but just tell me that I'm right, that you were speaking figuratively so that I knowI understand.

MG,

I hope you are pulling my leg. No, Ruthie didn't really fall off a cliff. I meant, in terms of what made her an appealing character, she really lost a lot of herself, and became someone the younger Ruthie wouldn't have recognized.

For instance, the younger Ruthie was sharp as a tack. 11th Season Ruthie was usually dumb as a post, especially when it came to people. Ruthie wasknown for being able to accurately guage a situation, and take the best advantage of it. 11th Season Ruthieblundered blindly from one dead end to another, and took T-Bone and family along for the ride. I mean, at one point,Lucyhad to school her in reality.Can you imagine Lucy schooling the real Ruthie in anything, much less the realities of life? I mean, I love Lucy, but really?

By the same token, Ruthie was also known for being extremely loyal to her family, and her siblings, and for normally having a pretty drama free outlook on life. 11th Season Ruthie was selfish, and only in it for Ruthie. And she was one drama storm after another.

The writers did bring her back around toward her old self by the time the season ended--a little bit anyway--but it wasn't enough. So, that's what I meant when I said that, as a character, she"fell off a cliff, and never really recovered." I didn't mean that she actually went cliff diving.

txgirl75

[6]Nov 30, 2012
    • level: 23
    I liked her better as a teenager. When she was little she was cute but annoying. When she got older she became a know it all and then hit season 8 or so she started getting good story lines.