7th Heaven

Honor Thy Mother

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Apr 25, 2005 on The CW

• Mothers Know Best

Well after watching this episode again last night, I decided to write my first review.

To begin, this episode was by far not my favorite, however there were definitely some highlights (and some disappointments) to this episode. As my title suggests, "A Mother Knows Best" is a perfect reflection to this episode. Let's break it down:

ANNIE: Wow, finally one Annie-centered episode! I'm very happy for that. Annie Camden is such an underused character these days. Well basically it's understandable about her wanting to have a family dinner in honor of her deceased mother, Jenny. I almost wish we could hear more about her mother more often, and it was quite a disappointment that Alice Hirson didn't appear in this episode in a flashback or something. But overall, I can't complain with this storyline. Annie had every right to be upset about Ruthie lying to her and going out with Vincent, after she specifically told her not to. It was a very touching storyline, and I hope they will continue to use Annie's character more as we progress into 7th Heaven's 10th season.

ERIC: Finally, we get to see an episode with Eric back at work! After watching earlier episodes from Season 9, I've realized that we don't get to see him counseling people as much as we used too. A little disappointing. This storyline didn't do too much for me, but it was decent. Louise Fletcher and Melissa Gilbert did a good job portraying a single woman trying to take care of her elderly mother. I wish they hadn't brought in the subject of adoption - do they HAVE to mention that every couple of episodes? But other than that, I can't complain too much about this storyline. A little different from what we're used to, yet it fit perfectly with the title, and this week's episode.

LUCY/KEVIN/BEN: Okay this was the least interesting storyline to me. Lucy was actually sane in this episode! That was nice. But aside from that, I can't find anything positive to say about this storyline, except why do they insist on calling Bo Derek, "Kevin's mom"? A little lame, huh? And Ben...wow that was just random. Of course now that I'm writing this review AFTER I've seen the episodes that follow, I know what happens, but still...wow. Ben, get over yourself. I can't stand your character - it seems that when you're not eating, you're watching TV, and when you're not doing either of the above - you're chasing Mary. How pathetic. This is beyond creepy, man. You need to move on with your life. And the whole back and forth time discussing the film was lame too.

As for the whole Kevin/Mom storyline, what another complete waste of air time. Either you want to see your granddaughter or you don't! Don't bring Frank into this, I couldn't stand their dialogue. So very pointless and annoying. Again, I could have done without this storyline. Why couldn't we have just focused on Lucy, whom I actually liked in this episode, without bringing in the Kinkirk family? Oh - and Kevin, the whole line about Savannah never dating, and you picking out her boyfriends was disturbing.

RUTHIE: This storyline didn't do too much for me either, except I suppose it was appropriate. I wasn't wild about Mackenzie's attempt at crying, nor was I wild about Thomas Dekker's lousy acting. I can't stand the character of Vincent. What a jerk. I mean, Ruthie was also a jerk to just disobey her mom like that, but Vincent...dude, you don't break up with a girl then just stick around afterwards. Wow. I can't stand him anymore, and I couldn't stand him even more after this episode. Except I don't see how Ruthie ran straight to Kevin; she didn't even know he was going to be there in the first place. Also, I really hated Ruthie's outfit. Not that it's relevant in any way. The end with Ruthie and Annie was very touching.

OTHERS: The twins weren't too bad in this episode, but still not good enough for my liking.

Now I still have some problems with this episode though. First of all - Simon. The guy was scared to death of having an STD and then what...we just forget about him? After waiting so long, I remember how big of a disappointment this was, after watching this episode. No one even mentioned him for crying out loud. Nice continuity, writers.

The second issue: Mary and Carlos. So now Mary is supposed to not be happy about leaving Carlos and Charlie? Well I'm really confused because of the way the season finale turned out, but just focusing on this episode, I think Ben's a creep and I have NO idea why Mary called him instead of her own family. She better not end up with Ben, or I seriously will stop watching this show.

Finally - Martin and Mac. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm almost 100% positive that both (or at least Mac) confessed some kind of feeling towards Ruthie, and now we are back to nothing? No Martin? No Mac? Where was Tyler Hoechlin and Kyle Searles in this episode? Did they not have time to film it? Or was this "family" episode meant not to include them? I'm very confused by this, since there was a big cliffhanger and I waited so long to see what would happen, and what do you know? Ruthie is still with Vincent. Very disappointing.

So this episode gets a 7. While I liked Lucy for once, and even Annie (amazing!), I hated the Kinkirks role in this episode; I never enjoy seeing Ben pay a visit to the Camden family; and this episode seemed very slow to me. It was nice to have Melissa Gilbert and Louise Fletcher, but their lines were not the best. A little too slow for my liking. Although the whole episode about honoring thy mother, the scene with Annie and Ruthie was very touching, and the end was great. Except that rude glance after Ben mentioned Mary. I hated that. So this episode was just a filler, in my opinion. Nothing exciting, nothing new, but certainly nothing bad for once.

QUOTE: "To mothers and daughters everywhere - even Mary" (Ben)

NOTES AND TIDBITS:
    - Why wasn't Tyler Hoechlin in this episode? I mean, sure Martin's not "technically" family, but still...

- I really enjoyed Lucy in this episode. Could we possibly get her to stay like this for a little while?

- Must we continue to hear about an invisible Mary? I enjoy the storylines, but the fact is Jessica Biel will not be back. Let's not focus on it.

- I loved the theme of this episode, even if it wasn't the best.