7th Heaven

Leaps of Faith

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM May 09, 2005 on The CW

• Is Simon in the clear?. Can Eric help his latest clients?. All this and Peter returns!.

"Leaps Of Faith" was a decent episode in the last stretch of season 9. Not great, but not bad. A harmless episode just filling time as season 9 heads to it's conclusion.

Eric - Eric's latest mission is helping a single mother who is raising two daughters who both have sickle cell. It's a disease in the red blood cells which can be found, most often, in African Americans. It's a nice topic for the show to tackle, and they do it rather well here. Many of Eric's clients in the last few years(with the exception of the kids in "Go Ask Alice")haven't been too memorable. But this one is written nicely to present the disease, and to give information on what, where, and who can treat it. It's also nice because the actors who play the parents are the first guest stars in a long time who actually do a nice job. It might not be the best or most memorable mission of Eric's, but it was decently done and written.

Lucy and Kevin - Lucy is contemplating going back to work and she seems to think that the care of baby Savannah should fall into the hands of none other than Annie. While it may seem obvious to Lucy, Kevin has a harder time of accepting that. And Annie too. While it isn't out of the ordinary to have your mother watch your baby(as my mother has done with three of her six grandkids, but babysitting is her job also), it was asking too much of Annie who still has two young boys and a big house to look after herself. Kevin says that they can trade off while each other is at work, and proves to Lucy that he can be a responsible father and look after the baby on his own. It was a decent little storyline, showing some more of the responsibilities that come with having a baby, and when the parents both work. Plus, it will give Kevin the chance to spend quality time with the baby and hone his parenting skills.

Ruthie is having more boyfriend trouble when ex Peter shows up on the Camden doorstep. I must thank Peter for taking the plutonium out of his hair. I can actually look at him straight on now without using my industrial strength sunglasses. Anyways, current boyfriend Vincent gets upset that Ruthie seems to need to know how Peter still feels about her and wether or not he has a girlfriend and moved on. It's not a relationship storyline for a couple until an ex shows back up in the picture to cause some trouble. While the trouble here is pretty slight, it would of been more interesting if they played into it a bit more. Maybe given a multi arc storyline. Could of been somewhat interesting. And along with Peter is mom Paris and dad Vic, who want Eric to marry them as Paris is now pregnant. It isn't a 7th Heaven season until someone gets a married. And I am not sure how I feel about a Vic offspring being released into the world.

Simon is home for a short time and is anxiously awaiting the call from the doctor to see if he is STD free or not. Of course, it takes this little scare to get Simon to re-think his actions and not have sex until he's married. As Simon has been having the "sex" issue all season long, one has to think that Brenda and the writers aren't being a little one sided and preachy. It's not as bad as "Brotherly Love" was in that department, but what is it saying?. Have pre-marital sex and you can die?. Have sex before you get married and you'll get punished?. What exactly is going on here?. Obstain from sex until you get married and you'll be safe?. Whatever the writers' intention was with this, it does raise some questions that aren't answered or explained thoroughly. As much as I thought it was a great idea to begin with, I can't wait for this issue to be settled and over. But it is nice to see Simon more upbeat and happy towards the end, instead of always acting depressed and whatnot.

A smaller storyline throughout the show involves Martin going out all night with Zoe(and Katie Cassidy gets prettier with each passing episode)for a school assignment. Afriad to tell Eric, he sneaks out with Simon covering for him. It's pretty much a storyline that was nothing more than filler. The episode had more than enough going for it and this side storyline didn't seem to need to exist, except for the calls from his father and the surprise at the end. They could of just had the calls and skipped the whole staying out with Zoe thing.

"Leaps Of Faith" was nothing special, but it was easy to watch and everything pretty much geled. 7th, for most of it's seasons anyway, has always had a hard time ending it's seasons. It seems that they save the best episodes for earlier to mid parts of the season, and fill most of the second halfs with filler episodes. Some seasons might be an exception to the rule, but it's been that way for the last three seasons. While I have said that I didn't mind this one, I do wish that we could get more important episodes to wrap the seasons up. And I am in no hurry to see Vic again anytime soon.