7th Heaven

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Jan 06, 2003 on The CW

• Sundays are a day of rest!

Simon and Cecilia think that they are ready for sex. Eric writes a novel about intimacy. Roxanne goes out with Chandler. Ruthie and Peter make a volcano for school, which erupts. Lucy writes the sermon for Sunday evening. It's about how Sundays used to be a day of rest, but now they are busy and stressful. I like Roxanne and Chandler together! They are really good! Peter is a great friend to Ruthie! Lucy's sermon was excellent! I find it strange that Eric would write a novel like that. Simon and Cecilia weren't smart in choosing to do it, but at least they told their parents! This episode gets a 10 out of 10!
  • Women are just moods. People should not fill Sundays with inappropriate unfulfulling sex, nor do their homework on Sundays. Can this get more ludicrous?

0.1
    Eric is still in the throes of his loss of faith, which means he doesn\'t want to help anybody any more, because apparently that is what ministers do. Not what fathers do, or any decent ordinary person. Actually I thought ministers were spiritual guides, who study theology of a specific faith and make it meaningful to everyday life. Not social workers or supermen.

The first scene of this episode is Eric teaching the twins to fake being sick as an excuse for him not going to church. Why could he not just say - I don\'t want to go to church. Does he have to teach his toddler twins to lie?

Lucy wants to go for a walk because she wants to spy on Chandler and Roxanne\'s date. Why? She was jealous of Roxanne because she was afraid that Kevin would like her - and now that Roxanne is interested in Chandler she should be relieved. But no, apparently you get better ratings by showing childish spite and jealousy in a student minister. Go figure.

Ruthie does her homework on a Sunday. As divine retribution, her science project blows up.

Eric is writing an erotic novel. Stephen Collins does in real life, so maybe this is a way to explain why smutty-minded Collins can still play a minister on TV. But the minister he plays is so far removed from what any real minister would ever be like, it seems a moot point.

Simon and Cecilia decide to have sex, but choose for some incredibly stupid reason to tell their parents about it. Before the act. It doesn\'t go over very well.

Oh, and Eric spends his time making fun and deriding his wife and daughters for being women, aka walking mood swings. And this is coming from a self-indulgent, lying, self-pitying whiner.

At the end Lucy gives a sermon on the importance of Sundays. Why she includes unfulfilling sex, I am not sure. But since these people act unkind, spiteful, selfish and jealous all week long, I don\'t think Sundays would help them very much.
  • Sunday, Lazy Sunday...

5.5
    Season seven of the show was a misguided affair that had more hits than misses. And believe me, there were very few "hits" this season. With the exception of "I Love Lucy", "Life And Death 2", and "We Do", season seven was a major disappointment. Even "We Do" was flawed and was not the episode it could of been. As I have stated in other season seven reviews, the episodes of this particular season were just not hitting the mark. For the first six seasons, the show was usually well written and well done, but not only did the cast change with the start of season seven, but the writing did too. It went downhill so fast, it was shocking. It wasn't as apparent at first viewing, but going back over these episodes, you realize how shockingly downhill the writing got. There have been times where I am just scratching my head wondering what planet they are living on. While the show tried to improve in season nine, problems persist. Season seven of 7th Heaven saw a show in turmoil. Things were different, and not for the good. This was a show who seemed to lose it's identity. Episodes like this one are not going to help either. Yes, this ep does contain Lucy's wonderful sermon at the end, but that's one scene. And try as it might, one scene is not going to make up for an entire episode. Watching that scene, and hearing those words, you wonder why the writers can't write everything that good?. How about taking that and putting it on the rest of the episode as well?. I know I have been pretty hard on season seven, and I know that the writers must of had a hard time adjusting to the new situations and the loss some of the exiting characters and cast members must of put them in. But still. I thought "Bowling For Eric" was bad, but this ep just may be the worst episode of season seven. So, what exactly happened?...

Annie thinks Eric is going to go back to the church, and thinks he has been working on his return sermon. Well, Annie is in for a surprise when she finds out that not only has Eric NOT been working on his return sermon, but he has instead been writing a novel. And not just any kind of novel. An erotic, adult novel. Say wha..?!. Elsewhere, Simon and Cecelia think about having sex and they, for some reason, go to their parents to talk about it first. Again, say wha...?!. And the least of the three storylines here has Lucy spying on Chandler and Roxanne's first date. Why you ask?. You got me. Lucy's logic does not go together with sane, realistic earth logic.

Shall we start with the inane first?. Lucy. there has always been mixed feelings towards our little Lucy. She had outbursts since the start of the show, but her little ways have grown more irritating, aggravating, and out of control as she has gotten older. A lot of people have a love/hate thing for Lucy. She can be the sweetest thing this side of freshly baked apple pie one second, and a crazy loon who has the motor going but there's no one behind the wheel the next. Why would Lucy have any reason or desire to spy on Chandler and Roxanne's first date?. What business is it of hers?. She barely knows these people, and now she wants to know what goes on. Lucy had a moment earlier in the season with Chandler, so does this make her think she has the right?. Does she secretly like Chandler?. Is she jealous?. There was a part of me that liked Lucy and Chandler. When she went to talk with him after seeing Kevin dancing with Roxanne in "Lost Souls", I thought these two were pretty good together. Maybe something will happen with Kevin and these two will get together. I can't be the only one here. So, maybe Lucy thought so too?. Anyways, this was a pointless and needless C storyline that didn't need to exist at all. Lucy should act more mature and respectful, and mind her own business.

From one crazy storyline to another. Simon and Cecelia have been talking and thinking about sex. Should they do it or not?. They get the brilliant idea that it would be best to talk to their parents about it first. Ooookay. Cecelia's father, George, gets wind of this and well, things don't go as planned. Simon and Cecelia's history has been kind of shakey. She likes him but he isn't sure, he likes her but she wants to be just friends. Yada yada yada. As we have seen with Simon in season 9, sex is a big thing. And in the Camden household, it's looked at as if it's bigger than the second coming. On one hand, you have to at least applaud the two young kids for thinking about it. For thinking it would be a good idea to talk about it first, and that they showed some kind of responsibility. On the other hand, did they really think that this was going to work?. That these parents would let their kids who are 16 or 17 sleep together?. That what we have seen in season nine, that the Camdens would condeon pre-marital sex?. It was an odd choice Simon and Cecelia made. Almost as odd as the time Mary and Lucy asked Eric and Annie to pick out hopeful boyfriends for them in "Lost" back in season six.

The big story all season long was Eric's surgery, and his subsequent recovery. I like the fact that Eric got such a big story, and I like the fact that it's more of an arc than most of the stories on this show. By this time, Annie is more than ready for Eric to finally go back to work. Who wouldn't be?. Eric has been through a lot here lately, and a lot of stress. He is having some me time now. A book is one thing, but an erotic book?. Our Eric has grown up!. Stephen Collins has written some adult thrillers in real life, so he knows the stuff. The response Annie gives in finding out is pretty good. This storyline is the only worthwhile one in the entir episode. Eric's ongoing arc is the only one of the season with any real meat. Lucy is giving her first sermon, and Eric doesn't even know if he will go with them to hear it. At this time, you don't understand Eric, and wonder why he would not go to hear his daughter's first sermon at his church. I understand that Eric is going through some stuff, and that he must have some mixed emotions at the time, but thinking he might not even go was surprising from Eric. In the end, he does go, but slips in quietly and slips back out quietly. The last few minutes of this episode are really good. Well written and well acted. Lucy's sermon is wonderful and well written, and Beverly Mitchell did a good job in delivering it. After watching it, frustration sets in as you wonder why the rest of the episode wasn't as well written.

In the end, "Sunday" was a weak and "file and forget it" episode. If it wasn't for the great scene at the end, this episode would be all but forgotten.
  • This epesode was not amaizing.

It had ok story lines ruthie and peter, siomon and cecelia planning on havinng sex, lucy wanting to spy on roxanne, ect. I love watching annie read erics book, acting was so informative. the part i love was lucy's sermon (her first ever!). not only did i love the sermon i loved the way she ended up having to give it. it was not only a great sermon but a great conclution to the epesode. the sermon mentioned most of the storyline and was inspireing. way to go brenda.