7th Heaven

The Last Call for Aunt Julie

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Nov 25, 1996 on The CW

• Quite possibly the best episode ever of '7th Heaven.'

Wow. What an amazing episode! First off, let me just say that Deborah Raffin did a wonderful job portraying the reverend's alcoholic sister. In fact, everyone did an almost-perfect job. The emotions were real and intense. Let's break it down.

Ruthie and Simon--The scene with Aunt Julie attacking Simon to get the key to the liquor cabinet was, I thought, very well done. If I were Simon, I would have been scared too! But that bit at the end with Simon backing up with a terrified look on his face was pretty laughable and overdone. Ruthie didn't have too much to do except stand around and act cute, which she did very well.

Lucy--She did wonderful, as always, being the sensitive one. She was just so overwhelmed by the situation... It was Thanksgiving and Grandma was dead; Grandpa wouldn't be visiting them for the holiday; and now Aunt Julie had become an alcoholic and had attacked Simon. Beverly always does well with crying scenes, and I really felt sorry for her.

Mary--Ack, Mary! She was so self-centered. "Oh, boo hoo, poor me, I really looked up to Aunt Julie, *whine* *whine*"... Well, Mary, you're not the one who is destroying your life because you can't stop drinking! You're not the one who lost your job and boyfriend and whose life is crumbling apart before your eyes! I was cheering along with Matt when he kept scolding her. Anywho, at least she came through in the end, and Jessica Biel did a good job acting the part.

Matt--Poor Matt. He had an almost-crying scene. I can imagine how tough it would be to have someone you care about scream at you that they hated you. Good job, Barry... Despite your goofy hair, you can do an emotional scene.

Eric and Annie--Both wonderful, as usual. Eric was great as a concerned, protective older brother and Annie as a concerned, protective mother. I thought both of their reactions were very believable and could totally picture my own parents acting the same way if they were placed in the same situation.

Julie--As I said before, she was amazing. She played the part so well, delivering intense emotional scenes. She also played the part of the fun aunt at the beginning well; she seemed like someone you would love to have in your family.

All in all, very memorable episode! It's the best one of the whole series, in my opinion--much better than the soap opera stuff of the final seasons. A wonderful example of '7th Heaven' at its finest, addressing real and serious issues of life. Well done, everyone!
  • Aunt Julie Debrah Raffin comes for Thanks Giving and I'm very happy that they chose Debrah for the chrachter i thought she did a fantastic job in this episode we learn that aunt Julie has a dangerous secret

i thought this episode was absoutely fantastic and amazing the acting between David Gallger and Debroah were fantastic is was absoutely amazing everytime i watch this episode i think of my father alot now bc my dad was an alcoholic and he died in november of 06 he had a heart attack playing tennis. but this episode was just absoutely fantastic flat out 10.0 in my book =) Stephan Collins is just absoutely amazing you can hear the desperation in his voice as he is talking to Annie about keeping his sister at the house and Annie is totally against and i would be to if they were my kids. this whole episode is a flat out 10 just absoutely amazing ... loved it
  • See what drinking can do?

Aunt Julie, Eric's sister, comes for a visit. The Camdens learn of her secret, alcoholism. She hurts Simon, yells at Matt, scares Lucy and Ruthie, and causes Mary to hate her. Eric is determined to help her by making her stay in his and Annie's bedroom. Annie is hesitant becaue she wants to protect the kids. Matt, Mary, and Lucy must cancel their Thanksgiving plans. Julie realizes that she does need help and apologizes.

This was an amazing episode! It was also very sad. It was hard watching Julie hurt Simon and slap Eric. The acting was great though! This episode shows what drinking can do and I want to stay far away. This was a great episode and I give it a 10!
  • Another wonderful episode!

I love this episode! It is very well written, and the acting was pheonominal. It was extremely dramatic; especially the scene where Julie fights Simon for the key to the liquor cabinet. It was so sudden and unexpected, it literally made me jump out of my seat. The scenes where Eric is trying to help Julie at home are just so emotional. One minute she's violent, the next she couldn't hurt a fly; and all Eric can do is try to calm her down. Annie, on the other hand, wants to keep Julie out of the house; not only because she attacked Simon, but because it's had an effect on the rest of the family (Lucy spends most of her time crying). Hopefully this will tell people that alchoholism is a very serious thing that affects not only the alchoholic, but their friends and family as well.
  • 7th Heaven's premiere season brings memories of this wonderful episode about love, family, and the redemption that ties them together.

Those who have followed this show know well the story of Aunt Julie and how the Camdens came to worry for her health and safety for many enduring years. This introductory episodes provides insight into the person Julie was before her alcoholism struck and before her family saw her anything except a strong-willed, self-controlled adult. With ten full seasons under its belt and a landmark 11th year on the way, long-time fans can take great pleasure in revisiting the show's humble beginnings, when the characters were fresh and the writing was at its strongest. By the time we see the first episode of the 11th season, Lucy will be the very last original Camden kid standing (this does not count the the twins; the other four have all moved on, including Ruthie). We all remember when the kids were little and all running around the house, and it is truly a joy to remember those days. This episode is undoubtedly a standout in the series; strongly plotted, brilliantly acted, and highly recommended for a deep dose of drama and a message of underlying family love.
  • Not to be missed!

Back in the early days, 7th Heaven was a bit more gutsy in terms of its content, and this is an example of that: a powerful, no-holds barred look at how alcholism can ravage a family.

Aunt Julie visits the Camdens and all are glad to see her. However, she soon attacks Simon and soon spirals into alcholism. Eric offers to detox her in the house (to the others' dismay) and then find her a rehab center. The detox session is long and painful, full of heartache, suspense, and tension, but ultimately, in the end, there is hope for all.

10/10!
  • Who could ever forget the episode where Aunt Julie is first introduced: as a terrifying and pathetic alcohlic? It has the season 1 feel, a bit too much of the classic family innocence, but an overall morality.(Ruthie also brings this episode up again in t

Who could ever forget the episode where Aunt Julie is first introduced: as a terrifying and pathetic alcohlic? It has the season 1 feel, a bit too much of the classic family innocence, but an overall morality.(Ruthie also brings this episode up again in the season 4 episode "Liar, Liar".)

I enjoy this episode- and would even go so far as to pick it in my top 10 episodes. Let's see... what are my favorite "7th Heaven" episodes? (I've seen up through "Soup's On" in season 10.)

1. Season 3's "Johnny Get Your Gun"
    2. Season 1's "No Funerals and a Wedding"
    3. Season 6's "I Really Did"
    4. Season 3's "Let's Talk About Sex"
    5. Season 6's "Lip Service"
    6. Season 6's "I Really Do"
    7. Season 4's "Who Nose"
    8. Season 1's "The Last Call for Aunt Julie"
    9. Season 8's "Simon's Home Video"
    10. Season 7's "I Love Lucy"
    11. Season 7's "Life and Death (2)"
    12. Season 1's "Anything You Want"
    13. Season 10's "Mama's Gonna Buy You a Diamond Ring"

1. Season 3's "Johnny Get Your Gun"
    2. Season 1's "No Funerals and a Wedding"
    3. Season 6's "I Really Did"
    4. Season 3's "Let's Talk About Sex"
    5. Season 6's "Lip Service"
    6. Season 6's "I Really Do"
    7. Season 4's "Who Nose"
    8. Season 1's "The Last Call for Aunt Julie"
    9. Season 8's "Simon's Home Video"
    10. Season 7's "I Love Lucy"
    11. Season 7's "Life and Death (2)"
    12. Season 1's "Anything You Want"
    13. Season 10's "Mama's Gonna Buy You a Diamond `````````````````Ring"
  • This wans' hard to watch becasue it was bad , but more so becasue it was sad for someone to have to go through.

WHen the three oldest children all make plans for Thanksgiving away from home Annie is upset , but after Julie Erics sister arrives the plans change in an instant. After Julie painful habit of heavy grinking is discovered, that whiole family is envolved. After eric finds out he wants to help her himmself and not seek mediacal help from a professional. Annie is uncomfortablwe with this becasue Julie hit Simon , but copes with it any way she can.