7th Heaven

Turn, Turn, Turn

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Sep 25, 2006 on The CW

• Although Lucy's priceless "drama queen" ways were in top form, the episode showed some true potential

I think it's safe to say that everyone was shocked when, after a highly publicized 10th season finale told us that "7th Heaven" had taken its final bow, the actors and writers resurrected themselves mid-summer to take a stab at a historical Season 11. As positive and meaningful as the show's general message has been throughout the years, it still seemed strange to me that it was deemed worthy enough to pull out of cancellation at the last second, but I guess that when you have a cast like this--a cast that clearly feels passionate about the series and would gladly go 20 more years if they could--this course of action was almost a little bit expected.

In any case, the beginning of Season 11 indicated that the year was going to be packed with unprecedented drama, starting with Lucy's miscarriage and moving right along with Eric's allegedly life-threatening health problems. I do feel that the season ended up falling flat and losing out on some real opportunities to hit hard with the emotion. That's not to say that it was all just a complete flop, but in retrospect, it could have been better.

Getting back to this season premiere episode, any fan who has followed 7th Heaven could probably instantly guess Lucy's reaction to the miscarriage of the twin boys that she and Kevin eagerly announced in the 10th season finale. Of course, Lucy Camden has met with some other trying times ever since Season 1, and through all of them, she has always managed to be overdramatic, self-pitying, and altogether irritating as she withdraws from the family and acts as if she is the only one who has ever felt these difficult things. Now, this may sound like a whole lot of bashing from a classic "Lucy hater," but actually, I don't have much against Lucy. She was always a good, sweet, and well-intentioned character, but her tendency to constantly throw herself a little pity party was definitely her most unattractive quality, and it really shined in this episode as she separated herself from her loved ones and went so far as to publicly blame them in front of the whole Church. On the other hand, I have absolutely no idea what a woman goes through when she miscarries one child, let alone two, so perhaps Lucy's behavior was at least partially justified, but regardless of any of that, it's the same old Lucy that you remember from day one. Another reviewer on here said that she was out of character in this episode, but to me, she was the same over-the-top emotional girl that she always, always was.

Season 11 also opened with some other significant story arcs for the rest of the Camden family. Before Eric's heart problems kicked in, he got a stunning proposition from the twins' third grade teacher, which was a bit silly, but hey, Eric's methods of handling it were a pretty good example for people who meet with the same kinds of temptations today. There are definitely a LOT of married people in the real world who need to realize that just because you get an offer like that doesn't mean you have to take it. Like Eric said, we all have a choice about the things we do, and when we allow ourselves to think about what's right and wrong, appropriate and inappropriate, we can let that knowledge be represented in our actions and choose other feelings instead of going with the "feel good now" approach. That is a great, great message--exactly what "7th Heaven" is all about, and I appreciated seeing that. All in all, this episode marked what was to come for these characters, and even if they didn't flesh out quite as well as we may have liked to see, the potential was right there, and for the most part, the final season was enjoyable for longtime viewers.