7th Heaven

Wayne's World

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Nov 29, 2004 on The CW

• Bad attitudes everywhere!

Lucy is on bed rest and she hates it. Everyone has been getting a small amount of sleep. Martin's attitude is really bad and he is getting bad grades and getting into fights. Ruthie finds out that his dad's tour got extended. Kevin helps Lucy finish her term paper to graduate from college. Wayne Newton comes to talk to Martin about his father. Lucy graduates!

This was a great episode! It was cool seeing Wayne Newton! I'm glad Lucy graduated from college! I hated Martin's attitude, but it was good drama. This episode gets a perfect 10 out of 10!
  • At least he didn't sing Danke Schõn

When I wrote the summary for this episode, I couldn't help but think of how non-political it was, especially after the somewhat controversial "Vote" episode. At the time, the casualty rate was pretty high and since then it has gotten even higher. The real surprise was Wayne Newton, who did NOT sing "Danke Schõn" -- which may have disappointed some, but it would have distracted away from the good work he does for the USO as well as the point he was trying to make; that a lot of families are homebound and they should not be stigmatized for a decision they did't make; nor the political decisions that have sent their loved ones overseas. This had to be my favourite episode from all of Season 9.
  • An episode that makes you go, "What?" at the end

Well I've just finished rewatching this episode. I'm not crazy about titles that are in different languages, although the Spanish ones I actually like. This particular German translation (Thank You) didn't even relate to the episode, or at least if it did, I must have missed it. After "Gratitude" which I thoroughly enjoyed, this episode was a big disappointment. Let's break it down:

LUCY/KEVIN: I will be ranting a lot about Lucy and Kevin, so if you're a big fan of theirs, don't read any further. Maybe it's because I'm not a girl, but I don't see why Lucy was acting so negative, cold, and demanding toward her family, the only people that cared enough to act like her servants and do everything for her. Now Beverley Mitchell did a wonderful job in "Gratitude", but in this episode, I found her acting not even above decent. Her dialogue with George in the beginning didn't seem very convincing at all, and I am no actor but I do know good acting when I see it, and her lines with George were repetitive on the writer's part. I think after the first couple of lines, the audience got the fact that Lucy was angry with Kevin, and angry to be on bed rest. And of course, Kevin (and no one else) knows how she feels. So I really don't see the need to go into much further detail, because that's the basic plot right there between the two soon-to-be parents.

As always, George seems to amaze me with how little talent he actually has, in fact, he says his lines so fast in some parts of the episode that you almost wonder if she's just tired and wants to get off the set. I really wish they would limit George's screen time; I really can't stand the guy. Nothing personal, just his acting makes the show worse somehow.

So anyway, now that I've critiqued the actors, let's just talk about this storyline. The bed rest storyline was actually a good idea. But for some reason, the storyline just fell apart. They were trying to do too much, I think. The graduation ceremony was completely unnecessary; yes, Lucy wanted to graduate before the baby came, but it was rushed, and rather than see Lucy going crazy in bed, we got this whole other storyline on the side that she didn't finish her term paper. To me, it was just more and more unnecessary material. Wait and save Lucy's graduation from college for another episode. This one should have focused more on Kevin trying to help Lucy through her bed rest situation. The graduation was also completely unrealistic. I would have much preferred that if they chosen to keep this storyline, that they had made Lucy wait till June to graduate.

As for Kevin, I wasn't wild about him criticizing Lucy in Eric and Annie's presence the entire time, and then having them agree with everything he said, like she was crazy and he needed to 'talk some sense into his wife'. If my son-in-law said that about my spouse, I would be understandably upset. Again, I know this is just at TV show, but it makes me hate Kevin's character somewhat more, the way he thinks he's perfect, but even his wife is senseless.

In conclusion, I liked the storyline just fine, but the overall acting that I saw in the episode was definitely not great.

MARTIN: Well I must praise Tyler Hoechlin for (what I thought) was a great job acting in this episode. Sure I can't say he was much better than George or Bev, but at least he seemed somewhat convincing in his lines. Basically, this storyline was pointless, even if Tyler did a good job portraying an angry, upset, and tired Martin. I loved the amount of screen time Tyler got, it felt more like he was part of the cast and not just some guy on the side. Adam LaVorgna got lots of screen time in the 5th and 6th seasons, so I was glad to see Tyler getting some too.

Now onto this storyline, I hated it. Must we always hear about Martin's father in Iraq? Kill him off, that would make for a great episode, and not only that, but then we wouldn't hear Martin complain about his father all the time. Yes, I realize how hard it must be to grow up without your biological parent, but come on...he always yells at the Camdens, especially Eric and Annie, and then apologizes 10 minutes later. Come on writers...is this how it's going to be from now on?? Can't we think of ANYTHING original?

Martin's dad's tour being extended was a fine storyline. It was Wayne Newton, whom was brought on randomly; and the mention of Iraq that bugged me. We just heard about the Marines and the hardships children of Marine soldiers go through in "Regret to Inform", must we hear about it again, four episodes later? I'm tired of hearing about this, and hearing Martin complain and act so moody. Actually even if the 'bad mood' was acceptable, I'm just tired of this storyline already. I liked Robbie's reason for living at the Camden household so much more, he was actually thankful to live there. Martin is not. The Camdens feed him, give him shelter, and let him be a part of their family, and he's still not grateful. The whole thing just irritates me.

However, like I said, it was good acting, even if Martin was way out of line, especially to Ruthie and Mac. Mac was just trying to be a loyal friend, and Ruthie was just trying to be the caring person that she (usually) is. But Wayne Newton?? What the hell? Is 7th Heaven that desperate to have a special guest star appear for 5 minutes during the November sweeps? I mean, first Aaron Carter, now Wayne Newton?? I have nothing against the guy personally, but there was no reason for him to be in this episode. I think I would have been much more pleased if it had just ended with Martin apologizing himself without Wayne's advice, or else just end it with everyone in a bad mood...these episodes don't always need to end on a good note, you know. But just the reason Wayne Newton was there didn't make any sense to me. So because of him, even this storyline, where Martin actually acted somewhat interesting and teenager-like for once, was boring.

OTHERS: Well Eric and Annie had little to do in this episode, which is a shame. And Ruthie was just in a couple of scenes this week. I know Ruthie had good intentions, but she might have had better luck telling Eric in private, not in front of Mac. And again, Mac was just trying to be a loyal friend (for once), even if that punch Martin gave was the fakest thing I've ever seen. I'm glad Kyle Searles guest-starred in this episode, it helped bring out his character, as well as Martin's. And the twins...well nothing new with them either, I suppose.

So, to end, I thought this episode had the potential to be good, but that was lost with lousy acting and Wayne Newton. Writers, if you're this desperate for a guest-star, it may be time to consider retiring from the writing staff. Especially Brenda Hampton.

QUOTE: "What are you - his girlfriend? This isn't your business, so butt out!" (Nick to Mac)

NOTES AND TIDBITS:

- This episode really showed how bad it can get now that Jessica Biel, Barry Watson, and David Gallagher are only part-time cast members, or as in Jessica's case, off the show.

- Ruthie's advice for the twins to put the pillow over their heads was hilarious to me. Is she trying to kill them??

- Neither titles for this episode was really appropriate. I would have thought "Anger Management" or something like that, but "Wayne's World" isn't meaningful, as Wayne Newton only appeared for 5 minutes at most, and "Danke Schon" (Thank You) really had nothing to do with this episode either, as no one seemed thankful for anything.

- PLEASE...no more Iraq storylines. I love the Martin character, and I like Tyler Hoechlin as an actor, but the war storylines are getting old and redundant. We get the point that Martin misses his father, but it's getting to the point that Martin isn't making the best of a hard situation, which is what lots of families have to do now in real life. So please...give it a rest.
  • In this episode we see a whole new side of Martin, Ruthie's old sneaky ways, Lucy use her family as servants, and a very, very tan Wayne Newton...

7.1
    Although this episode wasn't a classic, it did have some good and memorable moments. We got to see
    *Lucy order Annie around, including yelling at her for retrieving last month's OPRAH.
    *We got to see Martin actually get a bad grade. OOO Martin you got a D! You're so bad.
    *We got to see Martin punch someone. Nice one!
    *And we got to see a very tan and very shiny Wayne Newton offer to sing Danke Schön to the Cam Rents. Wow that's scary.

Lucy & her servants~ Lucy seemed to have a hard time in this episode. She was told to spend the rest of her pregnancy on bedrest, which really sucks by the way, and she was obviously enjoying it. Yes, I said ENJOYING IT. She got to order her parents and Kevin around, while conviently not having to write her paper (sweet!) Well, atleast I would have enjoyed it, but Lucy seemed to actually want to do her paper. Strange. Anyway, this storyline was cute. I liked hearing Lucy whine about getting last month's Oprah. It was quite amusing.

Martin & Ruthie~ Now, I think it was unfair of Martin to be angry at Ruthie, when she was just rying to help. Yeah, she shouldn't have actually sat down and read the darn e-mail, but I'm sure she couldn't help herslef. I would read it too. Us brunettes, we're nosy like that(j/k, I'm not insulting anyone).

Martin's mean ways~ I must admit that I actually liked seeing Martin with a bit of an edge. He's such a goody-goody all the time, that it was nice to see him yell at people. When Martin and that kid slammed into each other on the baseball field and Martin was yelling how he was the best player on the team I was thinking to myself "Hey Martin, concieted much?". Oh and then there was the best part of the whole entire episode...THE punch. When Martin punched that kid on his baseball team (a.k.a. Topher on Everwood), I was literally jumping up and down screaming "You Go Martin! Yes! Punch Him again! Show him who's boss Brewer! Yeah!". My mother came into my room and gave me the weirdest look, before turning around and walking out again. I thought the punch was so hot. I thought it was mean of Martin, but I think it's good Martin is communicating with someone other than Mac, even if it is a miscommunication....By the way, poor Mac. I wouldn't mind being called Martin's girlfriend, but when you're Mac, that would be embarrassing. Poor baby, you should get together with Ruthie so Martin will get jealous and I can watch.

Wayne Newton~ Wow...I never thought I would see Wayne Newton on 7th Heaven...I never actually wanted to. I do think it's a good thing that he does for people and I respect him for that. I thought it was so nice of him to give a message to Martin from his father. He gave us the old, nice Martin back1 Yay! Danke Schön Wayne Newton!

I give this episode a 7.1/10

ODDS 'N ENDS:

*I take German in school, so I actually know what Danke Schön means! Thank you!

*Is it just me or did Wayne Newton look really shiny and really tan in this episode? I actually screamed when I saw him come through the door. It was part shock that I was seeing Wayne Newton on 7th Heaven, and part I didn't remember him being so dark. He must have gone tanning.

• Well the last episode of November Sweeps has passed us, however not leaving any mini-cliffhangers like most shows do. For people who read spoilers, we do know that in the episode coming back from Winter Hiatus is when Lucy has her baby, so that's really s

Well the last episode of November Sweeps has passed us once again, however not leaving any mini-cliffhangers like most shows do. For people who read spoilers, we do know that in the episode coming back from Winter Hiatus (Jan. 17) is when Lucy has her baby, so that's really something to look forward to. Anyway, as for the this episode, it wasn't that great. It was basically just a filler episode with filler plots, especially the Martin storyline which was kind of weird---but I'll get to that later on. The Lucy being on bedrest was also pretty much filler and just a continuation from last week's episode. Nevertheless, despite it lacking Matt, Simon, and Mary, the episode was still pretty enjoyable.

Lucy and Family: Well Lucy was at her craziest in this episode, not only driving Kevin (and the viewers) crazy but also her entire Camden family as well. The teaser for this episode was quite funny and delightfully light-hearted like the old season episodes were. Lucy was keeping everyone up because she had been in bed for so long and couldn't sleep, plus she was fighting with Kevin when she woke him up as well. Lucy was also waking everyone up because for her and Kevin were now sleeping in the house instead of their Garage Apartment (so the Camdens could more easily weigh on her hand and foot during the day). It was funny when Kevin caught Eric, Annie, Ruthie, and the twins sleeping in his Garage Apartment bed because that's the only place where they could sleep---and then watching as Eric saw Kevin, woke the others up, and they all running downstairs. It was also pretty funny to see Eric and Kevin falling asleep at their jobs, especially what Cpt. Michaels did to Kevin in front of everyone. But for once Lucy was totally in the right to be crazy---try spending all day in bed and you'd be crazy too. Lastly about the ending with the "graduation ceremony", I thought that was way too cheesy even for 7th Heaven standards. Not to mention unrealistic. How does Lucy go far having a teacher tell her she's gonna fail his class to being able to graduate that day? Not only that, but I've never heard of a college holding a "practice" and early graduation ceremony just for one person---and in their backyard for that matter. It was just incredibly cheesy for my tastes. Sorry. Anyway, wasn't too much to this storyline except for it building-up to Lucy going into labor in January. Can't wait for that to happen.

Martin and Ruthie: This is the second time Martin and Ruthie haven't gotten along at all in an episode. The first being in Dropping Trou when Ruthie was being a jerk and pantsed Martin at school. This time Martin was being the jerk---perhaps to get back at Ruthie (kidding...)? So as I said before, this storyline with Martin was kind of odd and out-of-character. I know Martin has yelled at Eric before and gotten really pissed before, but it's hard to believe that kind of e-mail from his dad would make him in THAT bad of a mood to the point where he punches people, gets kickwd off the team, yells at Eric, is so cruel to Ruthie, etc. I can perfectly more than understand if his dad had gotten killed, but the e-mail just said that his tour had gotten extended. He should be upset, sure, but to for it to make him that rude and mean is unbelievable. It was touching to have Wayne Newton himself give Martin that speech and lead to a quite emotional scene---plus it was great seeing Wayne Newton on a show like this. And I'm glad Martin redeemed himself by apologizing to everyone, and I was glad his coach understood his situation. For once Eric wasn't the one to fix the problem in the episode, which was kind of nice. Ruthie in this episode was kind of being a brat to Martin, eventhough he did deserve it. I mean what happened to "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" that the Camden kids were always teached? Besides it didn't seem like Ruthie to be mean like that---again though, I'm glad she was redeemed after knowing the reason for Martin's behavior. Anyway this storyline was okay for being in a bland episode.

Two storylines, both being filler pretty much makes for a pretty boring episode. However, surprisingly I did find myself enjoying it for some reason. Can't put my finger on it, but for three Camdens absent it did have that classic 7th Heaven feeling when the episodes were light-hearted with a touch of drama. I don't know. I just can't wait until the January episodes when Lucy becomes a mom. And I can't believe we have to wait six weeks. Well we will have each other in the forums during this long hiatus.

Other Thoughts:

*Mac is really growing on me, I'm liking his presence in the episodes as Martin's friend now. Plus his character has grown since last season as being the insensitive jerk. He has really pulled through for Martin and showed he's a true friend this season, especially in this episode. Now only if we can get Ruthie some female friends.

*Writers, please start giving Catherine Hicks (Annie) MORE screen time so she can work more than TWO days a week! Man, no wonder she was thinking about leaving during season 8.

*Those twins are also growing on me, as they're continuing to act quite good---especially the tall one. If the show goes to a season 10, hopefully the writers will give the twins some scenes at school or with friends. I think they're ready.

*Kevin really is a "saint of a husband" for dealing with Lucy's craziness, though I did feel sorry for her in this episode. As she said, first she almost lost her baby and now she's being treated like one. Aww, cheer up---you're gonna be a mom!
  • For a concluding episode of November this was pretty satisfying enough and great with mainly the Martin and surprisingly welcoming Wayne Newton storyline...and then there\'s Lucy... There. Are. No. Words. (But I\'m gonna try)

Well, we are now at the eleventh episode of the ninth season. This is the last new episode of November and we all know what that means...many, many, many reruns ahead for us fans and my last review for awhile until January. For a concluding episode of November this was pretty satisfying enough and great with mainly the Martin and surprisingly welcoming Wayne Newton storyline...and then there\'s Lucy... There. Are. No. Words. (But I\'m gonna try)

Let\'s break it down...

Martin and Company: We see a lot of Martin (Tyler Hoechlin) in this episode as he\'s pretty much in a bad mood for the majority of it... but he sure has been in a bad mood a lot this season hasn\'t he? Either way, it was for a good reason this time around as well as before. As the story unfolds Martin gets into a pissy fight with basically anyone who says a word to him which leads with bad confrontations with Ruthie, his coach, teammates Nick and Mac and other Camden\'s. Why is it that I got some pleasure when he slammed the door in Ruthie\'s face? Anyway, later on Ruthie stumbles on Martin\'s e-mail in his room by \"accident\" and reads his mail without his permission and finds out why he\'s been so mean lately. His dad had sent him an e-mail saying that his stay in Iraq has been extended longer than expected. Ruthie, being who she is tells her father and anyone in sight (well, sans Kevin). Even Mac (Kyle Searles) is into his noisiness more than usual as he\'s also desperate to find out what is wrong with his best friend and what he can do to help.

When on the baseball field Martin gets into a fight with his teammate Nick and his Coach (Kevin Dunn) and it escalates even further when in the locker room as his coach informs him that his bad attitude has got him kicked off the team. This then leads into an altercation with Nick that ends up with him being punched in the face and on the floor---and Martin looking like an idiot by his anger. As a side note, when a frustrated Nick was yelling at Mac asking him What are you, his girlfriend?\" I thought that was a great shout out. I guess the writers do notice the way they are writing the Mac character as Martin\'s bitch. I\'m sorry for the language, but that really is the best I can clarify Mac\'s character in this episode. He was just all up in Martin\'s business as his guardian teenage angel. As much as Coach Terry (Kevin Dunn) may have felt sorry for Martin when he finally found out that his dad\'s stay in Iraq would be extended as the reason for Martin\'s anger, it still was a bad move by the coach to lift his punishment all together and to put him back on the team without any consequences. No matter what, it still was not justified when Martin hit that kid Nick in the face, and his suspension on the team should\'ve stayed as is. It\'s not doing any favors for Martin or his other teammates when Martin can easily make it back on the team no matter what the circumstances are. I hope the writers do address this in future episodes that Martin is now starting to get away with things that he shouldn\'t.

Now onto Wayne Newton. When finding out that he was going to appear in this episode I automatically thought it was a typical sweeps stunt by getting a semi-famous person on the show for November sweeps for no real reason but ratings. But surprisingly he did have a purpose in this episode that did intertwine with Martin\'s storyline. He comes to Glen Oak as himself paying Martin a visit when just meeting his father in Iraq where he actually does do in real life to cheer up soldiers. He\'s here to help his father after he received Martin\'s angry e-mail response back on him staying in Iraq longer. Although I doubt he visits every soldiers family he met, but for this being a TV show I can accept it. Plus, for being mainly a lounge singer he did do a great job acting wise in the scene with Martin when talking.

As fine and as stellar as the storyline was, I hope that in future episodes that the writers do go further with the Martin character and give storylines not involving or referencing to his father being in the Iraq war. I know that\'s why the character is there but it\'s starting to limit the storyline potential for the actor and character. There\'s more that can be done with the Martin character if the writers would just open up more with him.

Lucy and Company: Lucy\'s pregnancy storyline continues, as for anyone who saw in the last week\'s episode that Lucy (Beverley Mitchell) suffered a lapse in her pregnancy as she was rushed to the hospital by Matt (Barry Watson) and was treated for pains and other life threatening symptoms and also to stop her early contractions. Now, this week she is put on bed rest for the rest of her pregnancy. For all the sympathy I (as well as probably other fans) felt for Lucy last week when she almost lost her baby, it has all gone away and has now turn to irritation. Only the 7th Heaven writers can make fans feel sorry for Lucy in one episode and dreadful in the next. For most people, bed rest is usually good and completely refreshing for the average person who can lay down and read, watch TV all day, make reasonable requests to family members who are in helping duty and even write ONE fricken paper for college. But what I\'ve learned is that Lucy Camden is not an average person. Wow, where do I begin...

Lucy was beyond unbearable than usual in this episode. For someone who has proclaimed for many weeks that she can be a minister, wife, mother, counselor all at the same time...the fact that she couldn\'t get one paper done because she\'s pigheaded makes me wonder how she got so far in divinity school and that she\'s this close to graduation. It was shocking that the family kept the baby monitor on to hear Lucy for as long as they did and that no one had to nerve to snap at her. There\'s only so much you can be abused and taken advantaged of by a family member.

And Lucy was beyond annoying in this episode, again I say--because that\'s how irritating she was that I have to repeat it, even for the most dedicated 7th Heaven fans. The ending scenes of this episode with Kevin bringing Lucy\'s graduation to her (literally) was just too cheesy and clumsy written, even for this show, because nothing like that would ever happen in real life. And also, for a whiny Lucy in the majority of the episode who could barely finish a paper, did she really deserve it? There needed to be some more semi-realism in that part of the storyline to identify and there wasn\'t.

The Others and Lucy: Besides the Martin and VERY irritating Lucy storyline everyone else in this episode was filler, mainly being involved in the two main storylines. It\'s so sad how much Annie (Catherine Hicks) and Eric (Stephen Collins) will take of their daughter\'s BS and her whinneness as she is on bed rest. Pregnant, or not pregnant there is a limit that you can go when irritating members who are more than willing to do what they can while you unable to, and Lucy takes full advantage of that with her mouth and attitude. For a divinity student to soon turn minister it\'s just sad on her immature behavior. You can only blame so much on her emotions while she\'s pregnant. Wasn\'t it only last week she said she\'d be more mature for the sake of her daughter and not being about her anymore? I guess that only lasted for a week. Geez, writers!

Anyway, the twins were pretty much non-existant in this episode than usual. I\'m not even gonna bring up Happy the Dog.

Overall, this episode was descent enough. It wasn\'t as great as the last two episodes (i.e Thanksgiving and Gratitude) but still a great episode especially when not even Barry Watson and David Gallagher appeared it was still good. I don\'t even mention Jessica anymore because she really has moved on without a look back when it comes to the show. But this episode was quite good still to conclude a rather strong November for the series. This is it until January though. The less we think about it the faster it\'ll go by with reruns. Till January my friends...

Grade: **7 out of 10**

Rants and Bits:
    *Seriously WB, it\'s really mean-spirited and awful of you guys to air promos of this episode where it looks like David Gallagher and Barry Watson appear in this episode when they actually don\'t. Stop lying to your viewers!

*As much as I loved Wayne Newton in this episode, please Wayne, calm it down on the plastic surgery and teeth bleaching. It was kind of overwhelming.

*Thank you writers for not letting Wayne Newton sing. I like what he does in helping the troops but I\'m not fan of the Las Vegas circuit of Danke Schoen.

*Was anyone elsed irked a little when Ruthie told her little brothers it was a good idea to put pillows over their faces to help stop hearing all the noise Lucy was making? Trying to intentionally sufficate your brothers, eh, Ruthie?

*For minute there I thought Martin was doing something else in front of his computer with his hands in his lap when Ruthie walked in without knocking...(wink, wink).

Even though most of us can agree that Lucy is quite crazy I still don\'t like it when the Kevin character acknowledges that about his wife---especially to her parents. Even worse, they agree and take no offense what he says about their daughter. Even though it\'s true, still, have some respect.

*It\'s kind of surprising that someone Ruthie\'s age knows who Wayne Newton is. I\'m 19 and I barely know who is.