90210 Forums

The CW (ended 2013)

Comparing "90210" to "Beverly Hills, 90210"

yuhuibc

[1]Feb 19, 2011
    • level: 10

So, we've had 3 years of "90210", and I wanted to share this thought publicly:

When "Beverly Hills, 90210" first started, I recall that it dealt with a lot of social issues. That's what really got me hooked on that show (yes, I'm *that* old!) because it showed how people of my age (back then) dealt with real world, grown-up problems. But after a while, mainly when everyone started sleeping around with everyone, it became a teen angst melodrama.

With "90210", it seems like the producers have just decided to focus on the teen melodrama part. Which I guess is fine, but I'd also like to see some pressing social issues being presented to show how today's teens deal with them.

So far, there have been 2 issues that I thought were/are being dealt with seriously:

- Silver's bipolar disorder

- Teddy's homosexuality

Adrianna's teen pregnancy seems to have been relegated into the "melodrama" category recently, with her using it to score a role in a reality show.

I hope I'm not alone in wishing for the producers to make the show more relevant for its discerning audience.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

txgirl75

[2]Feb 19, 2011
    • level: 23
    no your not alone at all. The first season was great they dealt with issues. They got a new writer this Rebecca person and it's like she gets a storyline going and then don't know how to finish it so it's dropped. She has so many characters on the show she don't know what to do with half of them. They have made Ade and Navid and Silver so unlikeable right now. I feel like this show may get better I had high hopes for this show but it just something to watch on Monday nights for me. I am looking forward to seeing the prom and the gradiuation, Another thing that makes me mad at this Rebecca she got rid of the parents killed off Jackie and got rid of Kelly so now when Silver and the gang graduate it won't be a real graduation because no family will be there. She gets rid of the important characters and brings in new one that are pretty useless to the show. I think this show just kind of turning into a joke really.

stellarchick86

[3]Feb 19, 2011
    • level: 32
    I dont mean this to come across rude or apathetic to the original poster or the show in general, but Im fine with it not being about social issues. While I really enjoyed Teddys homosexuality and Silvers BPD storylines, I dont tune in every week for social issues. Looking back now, I find the original 90210s first season really corny, even though at the time Im sure it was quite controversial and intriguing. To me this show just turned into another OC or something along those lines and Im fine with that. Im not 90210s core demographic Im sure, Im 24 years old, and I dont care what these characters think about sex or drugs or something because Im old enough to make up my own mind. My parents dont have to sit back and wonder what Im going to do regarding these issues because a character on a tv show did it lol. As long as they bring drama every week that makes sense and is interesting to watch, Im not looking for this show to be anything more than that. If I wanted a show that just pressed on social issues, I can watch Degrassi or something along those lines. I never expected much out of 90210, Gossip Girl or any other CW shows.

SillySophie

[4]Feb 19, 2011
    • level: 9
    I'm actually enjoying this much more as the seasons go on. Season one wasn't very interesting, and I agreed with that Rebecca writer that they were relying too much on the original 90210-ers for viewers rather than try to make a show that stood on its own. (They SHOULD NOT have ruined Jackie Taylor and then killed her though. That decision sucked.)

The main difference difference between BH90210 and 90210 for me is that I haven't developed an attachment to any of the characters from the new show. It has been 2 1/2 seasons and I still don't remember some of their last names.

Canogaparkcindy

[5]Feb 21, 2011
    • level: 49
    Well when I compare season 3 to season 1 of this show, I think the story lines are way different. Season 3 - the story lines are a little more far fetched (i.e. reality show, fall from stardom) and it season 3 focuses a lot on love triangles. Also the characters hard to get attached too because they're all bi-polar. They change, I mean compare season 1 Adrianna to season 3. It's like a completely diff. person.

stellarchick86

[6]Feb 22, 2011
    Canogaparkcindy wrote:
    Well when I compare season 3 to season 1 of this show, I think the story lines are way different. Season 3 - the story lines are a little more far fetched (i.e. reality show, fall from stardom) and it season 3 focuses a lot on love triangles. Also the characters hard to get attached too because they're all bi-polar. They change, I mean compare season 1 Adrianna to season 3. It's like a completely diff. person.

I completely agree. Naomi is different for the most part, Annie is totally different, Adriannas different, Silvers different for the most part...the guys (sans Liam) are the only ones who stayed the same. The SLs are also farfetched but Im used to it with teen shows because of One Tree Hill (and that was even more farfetched LOL). The love triangles are whats getting to me though, especially since I could care less about the couples involved.

Canogaparkcindy

[8]Feb 22, 2011
    • level: 49
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    Canogaparkcindy wrote:

I completely agree. Naomi is different for the most part, Annie is totally different, Adriannas different, Silvers different for the most part...the guys (sans Liam) are the only ones who stayed the same. The SLs are also farfetched but Im used to it with teen shows because of One Tree Hill (and that was even more farfetched LOL). The love triangles are whats getting to me though, especially since I could care less about the couples involved.
    Couldn't agree with you more except Liam definitely has changed from S1. He was a dark mysterious brooding teen that became an Ethan replica as the show progressed. Also the couples on this show are uninteresting as you said. Like I really could care less about Adrianna/Silver/Navid, the last interesting triangle was Naomi/Annie/Liam and that was at the beginning of S2. But yeah. Agreed.

stellarchick86

[9]Feb 23, 2011
    ^LOL. Glad you agree, I do too. You probably just misread, and thats okay, but I said that the guys remained the same EXCEPT for Liam. They still kind of try to make him this broody bad boy, like with Annie last season (or was that Naomi, cant remember?) when he had that boat in the house and he was getting kicked out and stuff but for the most part he changed, hes a lot more..mainstream? and not as lonerish and stuff lol.

txgirl75

[10]Feb 24, 2011
    • level: 23
    I also wanted state that with the original 90210 the cast were likeable and even a lot of guest stars were likeable. the new 90210 it's hard to really like half of them Ivy she bores me to tears. Got to many it's hard to like half of them and then ruin half of them.

CarloHarvey

[11]Nov 3, 2012
    • level: 1

I love Beverly Hills 90210 for being realistic in every people's lives especially on teenagers. This show really showed a lot of experiences in every relationship and a lot of issues facing during teenage years. I really do miss watching this show that's why I recently ordered a copy of it at http://www.fmpet.com. Fast shipping and reliable seller. My discs arrived in mint condition, each discs played very well with the video or audio quality on this set, the levels of the audio is very clear and it has a very watchable video. Certainly, good quality DVDs. It was really nice to reminisce the good all days!