90210 Forums

The CW (ended 2013)

PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION- new showrunners!

stellarchick86

[21]May 24, 2012
    • level: 32
    ^Yeah, maybe. I thought I read somewhere that Annalynne was very skeptical about being Naomi, for whatever the reason. I think it mightve been IMDb actually. So maybe she just never warmed up to the character, hence not warming up to the show, and just looks at it like a job. Sad, considering she gets to play a FUN character (not like Ivy or someone) who has basically been the lead since s2.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

johnmarlena422

[22]May 24, 2012
    • level: 16
    Yeah, it is sad. Though, I still don't think her acting has always been that bad. I thought she did really well S1 and then during her rape SL I thought she did great as well.

stellarchick86

[23]May 25, 2012
    ^Yeah. I dont know, I go back and forth with her on this show. I do agree that she was good from what I saw on N/T though. *shrugs*
    Edited on 05/25/2012 5:03am

johnmarlena422

[24]May 25, 2012
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    ^Yeah. I dont know, I go back and forth with her on this show. I do agree that she was good from what I saw on N/T though. *shrugs*

Yeah, I think she's just one of those actresses that play bad better. S1 was good because she was a lot more villainous but then when they softened her her acting got weaker Imo.

thec0mebackman

[25]May 28, 2012
    • level: 15
    johnmarlena422 wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:

Comeback, Ive seen some scenes of her on Niptuck that JohMarlena showed me and I thought she was pretty good and I wasnt that thrilled with McCord on this show either so I wasnt just being a fanboy *shrugs*

Yeah, I do think she used to be much better on this show though..I think she's just bored lol

yeah i do agree i think that McCord is bored of 90210. you can tell by someone's acting and effort on the show. yet they still make it the Naomi show despite her being the weakest link out of all the girls. since we're talking about acting... Nina from TVD has never truly impressed me. i mean i'm a hardcore fan of Degrassi, i've watched it since day one 11 years ago and stopped when the older cast left the show so i've followed Shenae, Nina, and Cassie (Abbie from Complex) with their other projects because i'm a big fan. Shenae and Cassie are hugely talented, Nina on the otherhand, i don't know. maybe it's just me but she bores me with her acting. thank god that girl is eyecandy or else i'd be falling asleep. she has this robot-like type of acting and i sense no real emotion from her. i feel bad for even writing this about her lol but it's true. she does a great job at playing Katherine but she still has a lot of work. in a recent interview Nina says that season 4 will be a challenge for her and that she is upset about what they've done with Elena. coming from a Degrassi fan she sounds totally lazy and doesn't want to push herself.

thec0mebackman

[26]May 28, 2012
    • level: 15
    johnmarlena422 wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:

Yeah, I think she's just one of those actresses that play bad better. S1 was good because she was a lot more villainous but then when they softened her her acting got weaker Imo.

yessss DEFINITELY. this is what has happened to her.

stellarchick86

[27]May 28, 2012

Re: Annalynne- Idk, I go back and fourth a lot, like I said. I think she was pretty good in s1, being the villain, but I also remember laughing a lot at the scene where she confronts her mom about her father's affair. But in general I guess she does mean a lot better.

Re: Nina- She hasnt done anything to really 'wow' me, but I also dont think shes awful either. She plays Katherine pretty well. Elenas boring though so maybe the poor girl is just bored! LOL

johnmarlena422

[28]May 28, 2012
    Agreed. I think both girls are probably getting a little bored with the material they're given. With AnnaLynne, I hate to say this because I do like her but I really feel like she's just not even trying at all anymore because I've seen her other work and I've seen her acting when she does try and this is not it lol I mean she's not as good as the other girls obviously but still, she's better than this. I hate to even use the "weakest link" reference because I feel like it implies that she's a terrible actress which she's not, it's just that in comparison to the others she's simply not on their level. Lowndes has been singing/acting since she was a toddler so she's pretty much been at this her whole life, Grimes used to suck quite royally but she's gotten 100 times better now that she's got more substantial experience, Stroup I make a point of ignoring due to my disdain for her character but from what I recall she's a pretty decent actress as well, or at least she was when I actually paid attention to her lol So that only leaves Mccord and she simply can't compare to what she's up against but If she had reservations about playing "Naomi" from the get go, I really wish she had just turned the part down because now at this point she is Naomi to me and regardless of her acting chops, I simply can't imagine Naomi being played by anyone else.

Nina on the other hand is completely different for me because I do think she has the talent and the potential and is deserving of being where she's at and the part wasn't just handed to her on a silver platter like with Mccord, Nina really had to work for it and she has to keep working 4 it just to keep it. She rocks it as Katherine every time and she may not be wowing us as Elena but I mean cmon what does Elena give for Nina to really wow us with?? lol Honestly, I think it says more about the way the character of Elena is being written than it does about Nina's abilities as an actress - She's in character so she has no choice to act accordingly with the material she's given, she's gotta act like Elena and there simply hasn't been anything "wow" about Elena as of yet lol So do I think she's getting a wee bit bored with her?? Well if I am then she must be lol But do I think she's just being lazy?? No, I think she's probably just a little overwhelmed and I can't say that I blame the girl - She's the star of the CW's #1 hit show which means the success of it rests in large part on her ability to play the part and that alone is a lot of pressure but then you add in the fact that she has to play 2 different characters and set them apart with every little look and mannerism and quirk in each characters demeanor being clear to the audience that these are in fact two different people and both the execs and Nina have spoken out on the difficulties of the whole set up. The execs just simply stated that playing more than one character she has to work twice as hard as everyone else and when interviewed Nina went into detail about how hard it is to pull of because both Katherine and Elena scenes are usually filmed back to back so that it's extremely difficult for her to keep all the little subtleties and traits that distinguish each character in check when taping back and forth without getting mixed up and having to start all over again..That can't be easy but she manages to pull it off and I give her a lot of credit for that but still it's a lot of work and now on top of all of that, she now has to play both as vampires and somehow still maintain the seperate identities of the two?? Even us viewers have been a tad concerned because we know turning Elena is gonna make her a lot more Katherine-like so I can only imagine how much pressure Nina must be under to pull it off and it's not gonna be easy so I don't really see that concern as being lazy, I think she just doesn't wanna let the show or the fans down which is understandable but personally, I think she'll rise to the occasion. She's just been doing the best she can with what she has but we shall see come season 4. Besides, Ian has also joked about how he prefers playing the villain because then he doesn't have to deal with all those emotional scenes but that hasn't stopped him from giving 110% in every one of them. Okay sorry for the rant guys, I just think some don't realize just how hard Nina really does work, I know I didn't before I saw that interview where she explains the process of it all so she really shouldn't be held responsible for Elena's lack of character development so we'll see how Nina works it once Elena is a bit more developed but I think she might surprise ya Comeback lol

johnmarlena422

[29]May 28, 2012
    Also forgot to add..I know I know what could I have possibly left out right?? LOL Well it was rumored a while back that Nina did try to shake things up a bit while in character as Elena and that JP told her she needed to tone it down because they didn't want the lines to get blurred between the two dopplegangers and I remember it because there was one scene in particular that Elena was coming off a bit more Katherine-ish..Less uptight/more confidant and it was subtle but definitely noticeable but then in the next scene she was in in that very same episode it was like a complete 180 and whatever was going on before was gone with that stick in the mud we've all grown to know and love hibernating up in Elena's ass once again...So if that was true then I'm hoping turning Elena is their way of loosening the leash a bit and letting her show them what she can do as Elena *fingers crossed* lol

stellarchick86

[30]May 28, 2012

Re: Annalynne-- Yeah, I pretty much agree with you. The only other thing Ive seen her in is Nip/Tuck but I think she did a good job there. I also kind of agree about the weakest link thing because with Shenae, I at least think she does dark really well. I cant remember how Annalynne was during the dark rape stuff in s3. But I thought she was pretty good from what I can remember. Though if we really want to count everyone for the weakest link, itd be Ivy/Gillian. LOL

Re: Nina-- I completely agree. On IMDb there was a thread about why Nina is so bland acting as Elena and everyone was like "...because Elena is bland" LOL Then someone mentioned how book Elena was more Katherine-ish? I dont know. So maybe they make her less Katherine-ish so that people can tell who is who more or something? Although if it were Katherine, she would have to have curled hair anyway LOL *grins*. I always kind of thought that Elena and Katherine shouldve switched personalities anyway. For back in the 1800s, Id imagine girls were more like Elena anyway; smart, docile, more lady-like for a lack of a better word. So I can see how both Salvatore brothers would want someone like her because they may have been thinking about having a wife/a family with a woman they can trust. When they have Katherine come back as a chick with leather and smoky eyeliner, it just seemed a bit..off to me. With Elena, I can understand them liking her if she were more like Katherine because they would be seeing this girl who looks exactly like Katherine but also has a bit more sex appeal, so she would have to catch their eye in a big way after 150 years of not finding the "right girl". Plus considering that Elena is supposed to be popular and fit in with the jocks/cheerleaders, Id imagine her to be more Katherine-ish to begin with, unless Im just using stereotypes. Does that make sense or is it just me?

johnmarlena422

[31]May 29, 2012
    stellarchick86 wrote:

Re: Annalynne-- Yeah, I pretty much agree with you. The only other thing Ive seen her in is Nip/Tuck but I think she did a good job there. I also kind of agree about the weakest link thing because with Shenae, I at least think she does dark really well. I cant remember how Annalynne was during the dark rape stuff in s3. But I thought she was pretty good from what I can remember. Though if we really want to count everyone for the weakest link, itd be Ivy/Gillian. LOL

Re: Nina-- I completely agree. On IMDb there was a thread about why Nina is so bland acting as Elena and everyone was like "...because Elena is bland" LOL Then someone mentioned how book Elena was more Katherine-ish? I dont know. So maybe they make her less Katherine-ish so that people can tell who is who more or something? Although if it were Katherine, she would have to have curled hair anyway LOL *grins*. I always kind of thought that Elena and Katherine shouldve switched personalities anyway. For back in the 1800s, Id imagine girls were more like Elena anyway; smart, docile, more lady-like for a lack of a better word. So I can see how both Salvatore brothers would want someone like her because they may have been thinking about having a wife/a family with a woman they can trust. When they have Katherine come back as a chick with leather and smoky eyeliner, it just seemed a bit..off to me. With Elena, I can understand them liking her if she were more like Katherine because they would be seeing this girl who looks exactly like Katherine but also has a bit more sex appeal, so she would have to catch their eye in a big way after 150 years of not finding the "right girl". Plus considering that Elena is supposed to be popular and fit in with the jocks/cheerleaders, Id imagine her to be more Katherine-ish to begin with, unless Im just using stereotypes. Does that make sense or is it just me?

AnnaLynne: I actually thought she did really well during her rape SL, the only time her acting was ever a bit of an issue during that time for me was when Cannon held her hostage. It was terrible as a whole but there were a few moments here and there where she looked like she wasn't sure what emotion she was supposed to be showing which lead to the generic look of constipation lol but the actual rape Mccord was amazing on as well as in the aftermath of it and throughout that whole process. At least that's how it was for me lol

Nina: Completely agree and as far Elena/Kat goes basically book-Elena is like TV-Katherine and book-Katherine is ..Well, let's just say to call her a deranged psychopath would be putting it kindly lol It's funny because in the books Katherine kinda chooses Damon in a way because when she comes back to town it's not because she loves Stefan and wants him back but more so because she caught wind of his "moving on" with Elena. She literally hated Stefan for moving on and came back for revenge on both of them but at the end asks Damon to help her kill Stelena so they can run away together lol She was clearly playing him but still that was different lol Also, it's Elena who pursues Stefan in the books because at first he tries to keep his distance because of the unsettling resemblance between her and Kitty Kat lol as well as the danger he poses to her as a vampire so while he is drawn to her he makes a point of stearing clear which drives book-Elena crazy because she's that girl that gets everything she wants with a "no one says no to me" kind of attitude about her so the difference was pretty hilarious. Also, completely agree about the roles between Kat and Elena and the different timelines, probably would've made more sense that way and I get them wanting a distinction between the two but I still believe that Elena is very much like Katherine but just like Damon's words to Elena referencing her only seeing the "Reign it in Stefan, I believe what we've seen so far has been the "Reign it in Elena" but the question is how much longer will Elena be able to "Reign it in" now that she's gonna be a vampire?? At least that's the hope lol Because these writers have put so much focus and effort on making Elena the "Anti-Katherine" that they've really just made her nothing much at all LOL As for the popularity thing, I know Elena is supposed to be popular but for me it always came off more like Caroline was in that "queen bee" kind of role but Idk maybe that's just because she was always so involved in the school functions and whatnot where as Elena was usually off getting herself nearly killed and then of course saved lol I guess you could say she's popular in a whole other kinda way because them vamps can't seem to get enough LOL

stellarchick86

[32]May 30, 2012

Lol thats kind of what I went by popular LOL And with Caroline, yeah she was popular but I kind of looked at it differently. You remember on One Tree Hill where Brooke ran against Erica Marsh for student body president? I would kind of look at Caroline as Erica, except people liked her LOL, and Elena as Brooke. But instead their amount of "popularity" hasnt really been that distinct. They focus so much on the vampire stuff that they dont really get into the teen stuff that much. Maybe Im just thinking too much about it, IDK. As for the book/show differences, it sounds like the book wouldve been really awesome then because the differences are kind of what I was hoping for lol And it wouldve been awesome to see Katherine as a psycho but I guess they thought itd be too much for a teen show. As for Annalynne, I agree, she was good in general, but the hostage scene was a bit much. I need to re-watch s3 at some point though to see so maybe Im just not remembering correctly

johnmarlena422

[33]May 30, 2012
    Yeah, I don't really see Caroline as Erica but I can see the popularity thing being somewhat similar.

stellarchick86

[34]May 30, 2012
    Because they were both sort of the smart/perky/goody-goody types who are deep down insecure and unsure of themselves. Its just that Caroline isnt annoying LOL

johnmarlena422

[35]May 31, 2012
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    Because they were both sort of the smart/perky/goody-goody types who are deep down insecure and unsure of themselves. Its just that Caroline isnt annoying LOL

Yeah, I think for me it's just because Erica has always struck me as a bit of an odd ball..Very socially awkward, despite her being a face of popularity, she was still rather strange in the way she behaved around others and I don't really see Caroline as being like that but I don't really see Elena as being queen bee either lol Maybe she once was but since her parents died it always seemed like she walked away from all that. Idk, none of it has ever really been that clear because of the lack of focus on the high school scene of the show

stellarchick86

[36]May 31, 2012
    True about them not establishing it. And I just meant that that was the best example I could come up with. There would be differences between them. I always got the impression that Caroline was a lot more awkward than was given to us in the show. And that Elena was more popular pre-parents death than given too. I cant speak for the books though but it sounds like it is really different than the books anyway.

johnmarlena422

[37]May 31, 2012
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    True about them not establishing it. And I just meant that that was the best example I could come up with. There would be differences between them. I always got the impression that Caroline was a lot more awkward than was given to us in the show. And that Elena was more popular pre-parents death than given too. I cant speak for the books though but it sounds like it is really different than the books anyway.

Oh yeah, I know what ya mean and I agree about the popularity thing, it's just much more clear in the books but yeah the show vs the books are very different. The writers made a point of not following the books very closely which I think is a smart move SL wise but as far as certain characters personalities I think would've been more interesting if followed the books at least a little bit. Funny thing is in the books Elena and Caroline were frenemies at best but more rivals than anything else

stellarchick86

[38]Jun 1, 2012
    ^Ahh I see. I always wondered if there was supposed to be a frenemie kind of thing since Elena always said that Bonnie was her best friend, not Caroline, and since Caroline always seemed jealous of Elena. And it would make more sense, in a way, with Caroline agreeing to what Katherine wanted since Katherine doesnt want Elena around. So much they couldve done with that.

johnmarlena422

[39]Jun 1, 2012
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    ^Ahh I see. I always wondered if there was supposed to be a frenemie kind of thing since Elena always said that Bonnie was her best friend, not Caroline, and since Caroline always seemed jealous of Elena. And it would make more sense, in a way, with Caroline agreeing to what Katherine wanted since Katherine doesnt want Elena around. So much they couldve done with that.

Yeah, I mean the jealousy is still there with the whole "Elena's always the one" but on the show Caroline just kind of accepts it where as in the books she's more of a "I'll get you my pretty and your little dog too" type lol but very villainous towards Elena in general.

stellarchick86

[40]Jun 2, 2012
    ^True. That wouldve been very interesting to see. But on the other hand, they already sort of have a rival for her, Katherine, so I guess they figure maybe its good to have more of a passive-aggressive type of rival for her? I dont really know. But actually thinking about it some more, Caroline reminds me more of Taylor from The OC. I know you havent seen the show so its hard for you to see the similarities so I will include a clip hehe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QDhiwpD18s. People say Elena is sort of like Marissa as well. Dont think Summer is that much like Bonnie though.