90210 Forums

The CW (ended 2013)

Season 5 News

stellarchick86

[101]Jul 14, 2012
    • level: 32
    Hahahaha. What an awesome story!! Doesnt surprise me in the slightest. And yeah, I agree, I can understand why Comebackman would be annoyed at the lack of Shenae. I would be too, really. Im just saying that I wonder if thats what happened and if it is, why Im not surprised that it happened. I mean like even with Melrose Place, for ex, having never seen it, I knew that there was a Jane and Allison character, but couldnt tell you what they looked like. But I knew about Amanda, Sydney, Brooke and Kimberly before the show started because the actors were so famous (before the show started and even before the spinoff/reboot). And they arent really main characters like Jane and Allison are, he11, most of them were added in way after the show started where as Jane and Allison were there from the start. So my point is, over time, shows become about stuff that they totally werent from the start of it and unfortunately for him, it happened here. Actually, it is unfortunate for all of us LOL because Id much rather see the Wilson family than the on-going Silver drama and other crap.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

johnmarlena422

[102]Jul 14, 2012
    • level: 16

stellarchick86 wrote:
    Hahahaha. What an awesome story!! Doesnt surprise me in the slightest. And yeah, I agree, I can understand why Comebackman would be annoyed at the lack of Shenae. I would be too, really. Im just saying that I wonder if thats what happened and if it is, why Im not surprised that it happened. I mean like even with Melrose Place, for ex, having never seen it, I knew that there was a Jane and Allison character, but couldnt tell you what they looked like. But I knew about Amanda, Sydney, Brooke and Kimberly before the show started because the actors were so famous (before the show started and even before the spinoff/reboot). And they arent really main characters like Jane and Allison are, he11, most of them were added in way after the show started where as Jane and Allison were there from the start. So my point is, over time, shows become about stuff that they totally werent from the start of it and unfortunately for him, it happened here. Actually, it is unfortunate for all of us LOL because Id much rather see the Wilson family than the on-going Silver drama and other crap.

I could not agree more. It's funny you should mention the MP actresses that were already well known because I was thinking about that the other day in terms of 90210 and the whole AnnaLynne/Shenae lead spot and was wondering if it's in part because AnnaLynne is a more seasoned actress?? I don't mean better or more talented but just more experienced therefore more well known. Idk Shenae's background as far as what she's been on as an actress but I thought I had remembered someone saying during the "S1 Shenae's acting sucks" debate that she acted that way because she had only been on Degrassi so she was rather inexperienced and if that's the case then I could see why they'd go with AnnaLynne who had been on several different shows/movies so she'd stand out a lot more than a newer actress that the audience is less likely to recognize. Idk, I really don't know much about Shenae and even less about Degrassi so I could be wrong lol

ETA: Definitely an awesome story, even better to see it go down first hand haha too bad Idk where that kinda footage would be laying around because if you actually saw for yourself, you'd probably be on the floor like I was lmao

Edited on 07/14/2012 8:00pm

stellarchick86

[103]Jul 14, 2012
    Hehehe. As for Shenae/Annalynne, I honestly have no idea. Ive only seen Annalynne on a 2 minute role in The OC before this show and she wasnt really that good, meanwhile Shenae was on Degrassi for quite a long time. So I just figured that Shenae was more seasoned. I know Annalynne was in that movie 'Fired Up' but I thought that came out after this show started. I could be wrong. Other than that, I have no idea what either of them have been on previous to this show in order to warrent the attention that they get.

johnmarlena422

[104]Jul 15, 2012
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    Hehehe. As for Shenae/Annalynne, I honestly have no idea. Ive only seen Annalynne on a 2 minute role in The OC before this show and she wasnt really that good, meanwhile Shenae was on Degrassi for quite a long time. So I just figured that Shenae was more seasoned. I know Annalynne was in that movie 'Fired Up' but I thought that came out after this show started. I could be wrong. Other than that, I have no idea what either of them have been on previous to this show in order to warrent the attention that they get.

Well, I definitely think that Shenae is the better actress but AnnaLynne has been on a shit load of things such as: The Middle Of Nowhere, Transporter 2, Cold Case, CSI:Miami, Ugly Betty, American Heiress, Greek, Day of the Dead, Nip/Tuck,The Haunting of Molly Hartley (which JL had a tiny part in as well) and those are just the gigs before her debut on 90210 and not even all of them at that lol so it just makes me curious if Degrassi was Shenae's first gig because in comparison it makes sense why AnnaLynne is so much more recognizable regardless of her actual talent or lack there of lol

johnmarlena422

[105]Jul 15, 2012
    Okay I got curious and looked up Shenae and my theory could be a little off as it seems she actually had plenty of gigs before 90210 the only real difference is they seem to have all been small roles with her first big one being landed on Degrassi so Idk lol AnnaLynne did have more lead roles than her under her belt when 90210 started but Shenae did still have close to the same amount of roles but I think AnnaLynne just kinda lucked out and landed roles on well known higher profile shows that ensured her the kind of publicity that would have everyone take notice and plus, AnnaLynne has always been a bit of a spotlight/attention whore so who knows maybe people recognize her more from her real life than from any role she's played anyway lmao

stellarchick86

[106]Jul 15, 2012
    ^Good point, I forgot about her being on NipTuck and all that as well, so maybe its just a higher profile thing, like you said. Ive seen Annalynne on a few talk shows here and there, yet I dont think Ive ever really seen any of the other ones on many talk shows at all. Even when that 'Vampires Suck' movie came out, I dont remember too many talk shows featuring Matt Lanter. It could just be me though. But on the other hand, Shenae was on 'Punkd' but Annalynne was not, so she obviously has some sort of clout to warrent being Punk'd I guess? I really dont know...

johnmarlena422

[107]Jul 15, 2012
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    ^Good point, I forgot about her being on NipTuck and all that as well, so maybe its just a higher profile thing, like you said. Ive seen Annalynne on a few talk shows here and there, yet I dont think Ive ever really seen any of the other ones on many talk shows at all. Even when that 'Vampires Suck' movie came out, I dont remember too many talk shows featuring Matt Lanter. It could just be me though. But on the other hand, Shenae was on 'Punkd' but Annalynne was not, so she obviously has some sort of clout to warrent being Punk'd I guess? I really dont know...

Yeah, I've never seen AnnaLynne on any talk shows..Don't really watch much of those, I've just seen her on drama shows and a few movies but I was actually pretty impressed with Shenae's background, I had no idea she had been on so many different shows before coming to this one. I guess I just assumed when people said she was just starting out with her role on Degrassi that that meant it was her first real gig as an actress. Most of the shows I had never even heard of but still she's a lot more seasoned of an actress than I was under the impression of which is kinda cool because it shows that she actually worked to get where she's at rather than just being handed undeserved lead roles with shoes she couldn't fill, if that makes any sense lol

stellarchick86

[108]Jul 15, 2012
    Yep, couldnt agree more

thec0mebackman

[109]Jul 16, 2012
    • level: 15
    johnmarlena422 wrote:

I don't think the above factors excuse it, I just think that's their reasoning behind it. Doing what all the networks do which is going with what they believe is gonna sell the most and keep the show successful the longest. If it's any comfort, I think referring to the current status of the show a success is a total joke lol Sadly, it's not about the talent of each actor/actress but more so a popularity contest and love her or hate her, Naomi just stands out, always has, always will which is why she's seen as the face of 90210. I will say, as much as I hated S4, Annie was really the silver lining of it all. She was the only one of the girls that wasn't either degraded, regressed, or completely assassinated and actually developed as a character rather than running full steam into the past or just standing still. As much as I love Nae/Ade, they were both reduced to disappointing shells of their former selves to an almost unrecognizable degree so Annie's growth of depth was just such a breath of fresh air. I know many think S4 totally screwed Annie but I still think it worked wonders for her character in all honesty

yeah totally, it really is a popularity contest. my friends and sis who watch it LOVE Nae and i'm over there sitting down on the couch thinking *hmph where's all the Annie love?!? haha but my sis loves Shenae as well, although Nae is her fave. (not surprising) i remember in season 1, Nae was never really a fave of mine. i just thought oh here's a pretty blonde, acting is a little sour but it'll do. then season two premieres and all of a sudden McCord looks ten times better for some reason. she embraced her sexual appeal and it was more apparent in season two. and yeah Annie in S4 saved the season. i wish they did that to her in season 1 instead of that annoying nun-like character.

johnmarlena422 wrote:

I actually completely agree for the most part. I understand why AnnaLynne was put in the forefront and kept there but that doesn't mean I'd be opposed to a different setup in the least. I wish they would shake things up a bit. I'd never ever want Nae backburned the way my poor Ade has been but I'd be okay with them taking some of the shine off of her just as long as she wasn't taking Ade's place in the corner lol I'm all for balance and there's a reason season one was the best of the series and they should have never strayed from the core values they started with Imho.

yeah exactly! i'm all for fair treatment, i just wish the screentime / formula was just like season one. i really wish they'd spice it up a bit instead of this whole Naomi show....it is sad though that this show has gone through so many showrunners. talk about neglected. personally i prefered those two guys who initially ran this show. yeah i'm definitely putting my season 1 DVD soon lol

thec0mebackman

[110]Jul 16, 2012
    stellarchick86 wrote:

Comeback, I understand why you'd be mad/annoyed at the lack of Shenae/Annie and putting Annalynne/Naomi more in the forefront. So many teen shows do that nowadays. The original 90210 started out like that; about the 2 siblings and their family living in a new town. And then the daughter left, then the parents, then the son...and somewhere along the way, it became more about Kelly and Jennie Garth became the face of the show. I guess its because she was pretty and they knew she had more potential to become a big star where as Shannen was seen more as the partier? IDK. The OC, kind of the same thing; about a poor boy who comes into this new world of wealth and luxury and tries to adapt to life with a brother, and then it became about Marissa and her problems, probably because they kept pushing Mischa Barton as this new star. Same with OTH being about 2 brothers and then Brooke got more and more screentime, because of Sophia Bush. So I think with Annalynne, that they are kind of doing the same thing. Idk, not saying its wrong or right, but that it happens.

thanks for understanding, Stellar! lol yeah it's a bit hard containing all this anger and bitterness haha but i've learned to accept it. i never knew that about the OG 90210 and certainly for OC. wow....i always thought the OC revolved around Mischa Barton, not a boy. that's very very interesting. with OTH, i thought the lead was Chad. i never knew this haha with Degrassi, the lead was always the lead but they gave others the spotlight as well. the girl who plays Abby on Complex was actual the second lead of Degrassi. but they gave her so much screentime. she was the school slut who got her queen bee status back but then she becomes the school whore once more and once again reclaims her throne as queen come senior year lol i wish you girls would give Degrassi a chance (at least only the first seven seasons) because i know you'd love it. 90210 may have become all about Nae/McCord but i've learned to just take it for what it is. i'll never get over it haha

thec0mebackman

[111]Jul 17, 2012
    johnmarlena422 wrote:
    Okay I got curious and looked up Shenae and my theory could be a little off as it seems she actually had plenty of gigs before 90210 the only real difference is they seem to have all been small roles with her first big one being landed on Degrassi so Idk lol AnnaLynne did have more lead roles than her under her belt when 90210 started but Shenae did still have close to the same amount of roles but I think AnnaLynne just kinda lucked out and landed roles on well known higher profile shows that ensured her the kind of publicity that would have everyone take notice and plus, AnnaLynne has always been a bit of a spotlight/attention whore so who knows maybe people recognize her more from her real life than from any role she's played anyway lmao

sorry i'm like triple posting but you girls are always keeping me busy on here haha
    i'm glad you looked her up, Marlena! yes she did numerous gigs (very small parts) before she did Degrassi. Degrassi was the real beginning of her journey. Cassie Steele (girl who plays Abby on Complex) and Lauren Collins were the girls that everybody expected to become break-out stars after Degrassi. little did we know, Shenae would be that girl. the Degrassi community was shocked but so thrilled and happy for Shenae.....(besides Drake) Shenae was the first ever to land a huge spot outside of Degrassi and then the following year, Nina landed one so we were all extremely stoked and years later, we see Abby on Complex lol so they say Degrassi girls are bound for the CW Network.

stellarchick86

[112]Jul 17, 2012

thec0mebackman wrote:
    wow....i always thought the OC revolved around Mischa Barton, not a boy. that's very very interesting.
    My point exactly lol But on a sidenote, it seems like teenshows can never be about a female lead. They always have to revolve around a man and then the lead female always has to be "saved" from said lead male. Though I guess you can argue that this show has a female lead, rather than a male, since Dixon has a lesser role on this show than Annie or Naomi. But The OC- male, OTH- male (yes Chad Michael Murray was the lead but it eventually became about the females), BH90210- male (Brandon), etc. Though maybe its just a marketing thing, if they make it about a male and the ratings start to slump, they then make it about a female in order to get more males to watch it because of the sex appeal, meanwhile the females still watch it because of the SLs, plus with the female lead they feel like they can relate to the main character more ? IDK. Sorry, I tend to over-analyze. Its the psych major in me! Wink

Edited on 07/17/2012 12:55am

johnmarlena422

[113]Jul 18, 2012
    thec0mebackman wrote:

yeah totally, it really is a popularity contest. my friends and sis who watch it LOVE Nae and i'm over there sitting down on the couch thinking *hmph where's all the Annie love?!? haha but my sis loves Shenae as well, although Nae is her fave. (not surprising) i remember in season 1, Nae was never really a fave of mine. i just thought oh here's a pretty blonde, acting is a little sour but it'll do. then season two premieres and all of a sudden McCord looks ten times better for some reason. she embraced her sexual appeal and it was more apparent in season two. and yeah Annie in S4 saved the season. i wish they did that to her in season 1 instead of that annoying nun-like character.

I actually loved Naomi the most in the first season then any other season but then again I loved all the girls besides Annie the most in season one lol

thec0mebackman wrote:

yeah exactly! i'm all for fair treatment, i just wish the screentime / formula was just like season one. i really wish they'd spice it up a bit instead of this whole Naomi show....it is sad though that this show has gone through so many showrunners. talk about neglected. personally i prefered those two guys who initially ran this show. yeah i'm definitely putting my season 1 DVD soon lol

Agreed. I think if we could just get the season one show runners back, it might have a fighting chance of redemption before it hits the point of no return.

johnmarlena422

[114]Jul 18, 2012

thec0mebackman wrote:
    johnmarlena422 wrote:
    sorry i'm like triple posting but you girls are always keeping me busy on here haha i'm glad you looked her up, Marlena! yes she did numerous gigs (very small parts) before she did Degrassi. Degrassi was the real beginning of her journey. Cassie Steele (girl who plays Abby on Complex) and Lauren Collins were the girls that everybody expected to become break-out stars after Degrassi. little did we know, Shenae would be that girl. the Degrassi community was shocked but so thrilled and happy for Shenae.....(besides Drake) Shenae was the first ever to land a huge spot outside of Degrassi and then the following year, Nina landed one so we were all extremely stoked and years later, we see Abby on Complex lol so they say Degrassi girls are bound for the CW Network.

Yeah, I still can't believe that Hilary Duff was supposed to be Annie but declined the part. God, I would've wanted to kill Annie lmao

Edited on 07/18/2012 3:14am

stellarchick86

[115]Jul 18, 2012
    Ugh. HD wouldve been awful! So glad she didnt either. Not to mention, she was pregnant IRL about what, a year ago? So they prob. wouldve tried to add it into the SL..and yuck! LOL

johnmarlena422

[116]Jul 18, 2012
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    Ugh. HD wouldve been awful! So glad she didnt either. Not to mention, she was pregnant IRL about what, a year ago? So they prob. wouldve tried to add it into the SL..and yuck! LOL

Lol yeah it's really hard for me to take her being pregnant seriously because I'll always see her as this little kid..Kinda like with the Olsen twins haha

stellarchick86

[117]Jul 20, 2012
    Heh yeah. I just cant take her seriously anyway. I remember on Chelsea Lately she was saying how HD was caught in a picture with a cig in her hand, but she issued a statement saying like "oh sorry! I was holding it for a friend! Cigs are not cool, kids!" Its like...okay.. LOL

johnmarlena422

[118]Jul 20, 2012
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    Heh yeah. I just cant take her seriously anyway. I remember on Chelsea Lately she was saying how HD was caught in a picture with a cig in her hand, but she issued a statement saying like "oh sorry! I was holding it for a friend! Cigs are not cool, kids!" Its like...okay.. LOL

Lmao yeah I was never really a fan of hers..Or any of the Disney actors for that matter but still lol

stellarchick86

[119]Jul 20, 2012
    Yeah. I was a bit too old when those types of shows were popular, so. I think Selena Gomez is kind of adorable though haha.

johnmarlena422

[120]Jul 21, 2012
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    Yeah. I was a bit too old when those types of shows were popular, so. I think Selena Gomez is kind of adorable though haha.

Same here. If I was younger when they were on, I might have liked them more but I wasn't so not so much lol