Wide Awake and Dreaming

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Sep 23, 2008 on The CW

7.4
  • Some things I like, some things I don't like, and some things that just don't make any sense. The episode was fun but the ending got a little strange, and things happened that just seemed like lazy writing.

Dad's worries about his daughter are well-founded. Every highly privileged good looking guy (at least the ones on TV) seem to think they can score with a relatively innocent young girl. That said, I'm glad that Dad didn't overplay (did he even say it?) the whole "I trust you, I just don't trust him". Instead, he admits that the reason he's worried is because HE made mistakes in HIS past. Way to go, Dad. (I just can't seem to remember the names of the parents! My fault, or the writers?)

Adrianna. Gotta hate her, right? I'll still hate her after this episode; hopefully I will, anyways. I have no sympathy for her. Yes, she's under pressure, but she's just like any of these teenage star brats who get full of themselves. Sure, mom pushed her over the edge, but for God's sake that doesn't mean she has no option but to take drugs. I have noooo respect for people who willingly take drugs to "solve" their problems, and I hope the writers reinforce that--by having Adrianna receive punishment--as a message to kids with problems.

The thing about this episode that I really didn't like though, in terms of plotting/exposition is the Annie/Ty/Adrianna triangle. When Adrianna opened the door in the towel, saying Ty was "rinsing off", where was Ty? We never got to see from him again. It makes no sense why he'd have just let crazy drug addict stay in his hotel room while he left---why not just kick her out? I understand that the writers needed some way to convince Annie not to have sex with Ty, but, /that/ was just didn't work. Kudos, though, for putting Annie on the fence about it. If she'd have been all "no, no, I'm too good" or "heck yes I'll go for it, no questions" it would have been, I don't know, out of character. I was skeptical of the Dixon/Silver thing at first since they don't really seem to have much in common, but it's growing on me. I still don't think there was much there to /start/ a relationship in the first place, but the actors have good chemistry with each other, so whatever.