A Different World

A Rock, a River, a Lena

Aired Unknown Jul 08, 1993 on NBC

• A lovely episode - why show it so late?

I will never understand why this episode aired after the real series finale, when few people were likely to watch it. It features much of what was best about the show ... fun, insight, character exploration, and a commitment to making connections with the Black American Experience (caps required). The tribute to Lena Horne is fabulous (especially the line about Ava Gardner), as is the interaction with Mr. Gaines. Kim's part in the story is especially good and in keeping with her character's personality in every way -- her scenes with Mr. Gaines, Ms. Horne, and Whitley are all "dead on."

As is sometimes typical of the show and particularly the last season, there are some bits that are "over the top." The Dean Davenport (Dr. "On My List") character makes another tiresome appearance, and much of the material for Whitley -- outside of the Mr. Gaines/Lena Horne interactions -- is tired, such as her interaction with her middle-school students. We also get hit over the head a bit with the demonstrations of Whitley's impatience with Mr. Gaines, though it is in character.