A Different World Forums

NBC (ended 1993)

When Did Dwayne Start Teaching Classes?

Leonard150

[1]Mar 30, 2010
    • level: 1

Hi guys when did Dwayne start teaching classes? I can't understand how the school let him start teaching without having an undergraduate degree let alone a PHD which is a requirement for most Professors. Also after Dwayne graduated how many more years of school did he have after he enrolled in his PHD program?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

telvisnostic

[2]Mar 30, 2010
    • level: 52
    It was the start of the 5th season.

Leonard150

[3]Mar 31, 2010
    I thought during season 4 he was also teaching classes while he was still an undergraduate student as I remember Dwayne and Col Taylor discussing whether or not he should take the job offer or attend graduate school.

telvisnostic

[4]Mar 31, 2010
    • level: 52
    I think he did, but he was probably just a T.A. In Season 5 is when he really had his own stuff and then the students got upset at him and tried to get rid of him. Lena, Jada Pinkett's character was the one who started the revolt I think.

qcsgrho

[5]May 24, 2011

Sorry this post is so long, but I wanted to respond because I love, love, love the show.

There are two things here: The show and the realities of teaching on the college level.

I think you may be over thinking things here. On the show, Dwayne was a graduate teaching assistant after graduating with his undergraduate degree (Col. Taylor was his teaching mentor, which is shown from time to time). In reality, which is where I think you are grounding your questions, you can teach at a four-year university or two-year institution with a masters degree. As long as you have 18 hours of graduate coursework in the subject area you are teaching, you can do so usually as an adjunct faculty member, not as full time faculty. So it is possible...I know because I did it myself.

I think we have to remember the creative license allowed to keep Dwayne Wayne and Whitley Gilbert Wayne (as well as other older cast) on campus and connected to Hillman and the storyline. Believe it or not, it is not too far fetched. If he were a graduate TA, that would explain the reason they had little to no money, struggled, and thus would make sense. It is also not too hard to believe the connection and rehiring of HBCU graduates by their respective alma maters.

Again, don't over analyze but enjoy how the show not only encouraged young high school students (like me during the show's run) to attend college, but also encouraged us (HBCU alumni) to give back to our institutions in various ways. FYI...I, like Dwayne Wayne, eventually went back to teach at my undergraduate alma mater, as an adjunct with a masters degree, while working on my Ph.D at another institution. Some of my colleagues, who attended the institution as undergrads, continued graduate studies and taught there as GTAs while working on master degrees, eventually continuing after they graduated. It was difficult to see and denote the transition at their school from undergraduate student to formal professor...which is what happened on the show. So it is possible.

Again, didn't mean to over analyze things myself and make the post so long. Just my two cents..