A Different World

NBC (ended 1993)

TrickMeNot

A Different World Fan Reviews page 2 of 2

• One of my fave shows of all time.

I had nothing in common with this show at all but yet it was and has remained one of my faves! It was so funny and original. Even though it was started to be a spin-off of Cosby show, it started to become something completely different. I wish they would start showing reruns of it, I would watch every episode over and over!
  • College life from the Black prospective filled me with understanding our young students and shedules of academic and relationships. Serious, humorous and educational experiences all rolled up into one fantastic show. Many of todays present stars made appe

College life from the Black prospective filled me with understanding our young students and shedules of academic and relationships. Serious, humorous and educational experiences all rolled up into one fantastic show. Many of todays present stars made appearances on the show as it thrieved through the 90's. Great TV show.
  • This show is the reason I went to college

Even knowing that Hillman wasn't a real school I wanted to go there so bad. My friends and I used to play games and we were all a character. I think this show put a differnt spend on college for African Americans and how it is a cool thing to do and you can go and have a great time and do some amazing things while you there. Such discover your path in life, meet you mate, meet you life-long friends, ect.
  • one of the best african american sitcoms ever made

this was one of the best shows ever made. it had a lot of comedy and drama. i didn't really like season one as much as the others. it focused too much on denise. it got a lot better after she left. dwayne made the whole show. he had more going on in his life than anyone else. mr. gaynes always brought the comic relief. whitley was the perfect frama queen. jilesa was the motherly type. the show gave a lot of african american actors a chance to be seen. the show was the best thing i've seen some of the actors act in. jasmine guy's had one role that was better than whitley and that was her role in the movie the feast of all saints. i think they should have a reunion special.
  • A Great Series

This show is definitely one of my favorite series from back in the '80s era. Along with its parent series, "The Cosby Show," the series became a staple hit on NBC's Thursday Night Must-See-TV line-up. It displayed life at a predominately African-American college and also discussed the hottest topics that were going on in that time period.

The first season started out with ex-"Cosby Show" star Lisa Bonet as the wild child Denise Huxtable entering her parents alma mater Hillman College. She rooms with the opinionated 26-year-old student Jaleesa and talkative Maggie. Also, the nerdy Dwayne Wayne and snobbish Whitley Gilbert provided comical moments as well. The first season, in my opinion, was very bland and rather boring. Denise (a favorite of mine from "The Cosby Show") was so boring. The only thing that kept me from ignoring the series was the fact that other "Cosby Show" characters appeared on the show to provide continuity. And as the first season progressed, I became a fan of Whitley and Jaleesa and no longer cared for Denise.

When season two premiered, the series made some drastic changes and was heavily retooled (THANK GOD). Lisa Bonet was fired from the show (but later appeared on "The Cosby Show" for character background) and Marissa Tomei was let go as well. New cast members joined the cast as the show focused more on Jasmine Guy's "Whitley" and Kadeem Hardison's "Dwayne". It was as if the show had became a whole different show.

I love this series and the frequent musical guests, guest stars and I hope the series will be released on DVD soon.
  • Intended spinoff for Lisa Bonet, ADW, in the end is best known for influencing a generation of kids to go to Black colleges and not just accept a average status quo in life. Unfortunately, after cancellation, the thug culture took over, threatening to er

With Lisa Bonet and familiar faces from Spike Lee's feature, SCHOOL DAZE (Kadeem, Darryl, Jasmine), ADW got off to strange start. The jokes were often lame for this to be a sitcom, though the characters were likable.
    Once Debbie Allen took over the reins and brought over extras from her days on FAME, suddenly, the show had some meat to it, balancing drama with comedy and musical flavoring that gave a accurate depiction of what young people hoped an all Black college campus would be like.
    Cancelled too soon, like HAPPY DAYS before it, "lost" episodes aired after the final goodbye and are still jumbled in syndication today. But the lasting messages of education vs "keeping it real", the challenge of staying on task, fear of unwanted pregancy, AIDs, Dessert Storm and so many more make this show more relevant than any other African American helmed sitcom that came after (with the exception of "Roc", "South Central", "Cosby" and maybe a hand full of rare exceptions).
    Some special guests on ADW: Jada Pinkett Smith, Tupac, The Wayans Family, Marques Houston, Halle Berry, Tisha Campbell, Whoopi Goldberg, Raven Symone, Rev. Jesse Jackson, Heavy D, Richard Roundtree, Ron O'Neal, Diahnn Carroll, Patti Labelle, Aries Spears, En Vogue, Lena Horne.
  • An influential show about life at a black college!

One of my favorite shows. I'm was so happy with the changes they made after the first season though! It showed what college life is like and it showed a lot of the pressure and issues that you come face to face with. It tackled serious issues and was still soooo funny!!
  • A Different World has been one of the few shows that I have remained a faithful devotee over the year. I appreciated its honesty in showing people about college life and the lives of African American youth.

A Different World has been one of the few shows that I have remained a faithful devotee over the year. I appreciated its honesty in showing people about college life and the lives of African American youth. I truly wish that more attention would be given to such an important show, like reunion shows or recaps from programs like the E! True Hollywood Story.
  • This is probably one of those rare shows that truly centers around the college life of African-Americans. It tackles a lot of issues from AIDS to domestic violence and even the Apartheid in South Africa.

I watch all the reruns on Oxygen and I must say that I love all the episodes. It is definitely funny and the characters are very real. It is a show that you can relate to, especially if you are in college as I am. It sure does make college looks 20 times fun. I love Freddie, because I can relate to her. I think she was the craziest but yet she learned the most. I also wish there were more Dwaynes out there. Even though he was kind of geeky he was always really sweet and deep down really love Whitley from the beginning.
    One more thing, the first season is kind of a waste of time. sorry, if I offended anyone.
  • This is a show that I could watch 24/7/365. I never grow tired of it.

ADW allows you to grow and mature. As you watch it, you are able to think about how you handled things or how you will handle things that come about in day to day living. There need to be more shows like it today. My son, who is 8, enjoys it as well. When certain situations arise, I am able to take the time to explain things so that he will not make some of the same mistakes that I did at that age.
  • A Different World indeed. As a young girl watching this show, the impact of the social issues taken on by the daring writers was lost. As an adult, however, I am in awe that these writers and characters could tackle such weighty topics.

It's a comedy, it's a romance, it's a drama. But most of all, it was a moving commentary of the world's status, in every essence.

My first real crush when I was five was on Kadeem Hardison. I always wanted a pair of flip-up sunglasses like Dwayne Wayne, and I always wanted clothes like Whitley. As a young, white female, the importance of the show's message was lost on me. The fact that an ensemble of African-American young adults could have a show like this on network television, no less, and still reach a five-year-old white girl... that's power. That speaks highly of the time frame of this show.

In the first season, it appeared that this was nothing more than a bit-of-fluff spin-off of the highly successful Cosby Show. By the second season, however, it was clear that this show meant business. From pregnancy scares to racial equality to academic pressures and romance, no matter what color the characters were or where they were from, these were issues we all had to deal with.

The vital heart of this show is the awesome relationship among the cast members, mostly the chemistry between the two great actors, Jasmine Guy and Kadeem Hardison, as Whitley and Dwayne. Few romances in sitcom history were so achingly real.

The people who look down their nose at this show, or say they can't really relate, should take the time and revisit the Hillman campus, and maybe they'll find that it's not such a Different World than where they come from.
1 2 >