A Different World

NBC (ended 1993)

TrickMeNot

A Different World Fan Reviews page 2 of 2

• College life from the Black prospective filled me with understanding our young students and shedules of academic and relationships. Serious, humorous and educational experiences all rolled up into one fantastic show. Many of todays present stars made appe

College life from the Black prospective filled me with understanding our young students and shedules of academic and relationships. Serious, humorous and educational experiences all rolled up into one fantastic show. Many of todays present stars made appearances on the show as it thrieved through the 90's. Great TV show.
  • This show will always be a classic. It had some amazing actors and actress. It was a funny show!

One of a classic. It had a Acmedy Award Winner Marrisa Tomei. I thought it was as great as The Cosby Show. I thought teh characters where always funny, and could make you laugh alot. Denise was a great character, and i wish she would had never left the show, but she married a guy, and helped raised his child. Thsi show can be seen on Nickledon. I love this show and I think it is a classic show. Make sure you watch this great, funny, show, you will laugh so hard your head will come off. Kidding! Watch this show!
  • So this is what college life is like at an all black college?

This show is a favorite of mine from the 1990's. It was a great way to show how life in an all black college was.
    I loved it even more when Denise (Lisa Bonet) left the show. It was well written and it didn't get too political until it's last season. When it started to get preachy I left it.
    This did wonders for people to see how dorm life was and how you can interact with people and it also touched on social issues. I liked the fact that they had the unbelivable pairings which made it even more awesome. I really wish it hadn't ended, but all good things must come to an end.
  • A Different World: College Truly Is

A Different World was an American television sitcom. It dealt with the life of students at Hillman College, a fictional historically Black college in Virginia, and ran for six seasons on NBC. A spin-off series from The Cosby Show, it was originally centered around Denise Huxtable (Lisa Bonet). Later seasons focused on Dwayne Wayne (Kadeem Hardison) and Whitley Gilbert (Jasmine Guy). While it was a spin-off from the Cosby Show, A Different World addressed issues that the largely apolitical Cosby Show avoided, such as race and class relations, and the Equal Rights Amendment. The success and popularity of A Different World is often said to be largely responsible for the increased enrollment at historically Black colleges and universities during the late 1980s and early 1990s.
  • Continues to be a favorite!

After watching many of the reruns, I now remember why I loved this show. From it's portrayal of the Historically Black College, to it's portrayal of college life, it was absolutely dead on. It did an awesome job of showing how people grow up from an immature teen to a responsible adult. I love every minute of this show!!
  • A wonderful & wacky bunch of girls and guys trying to get through college together.

What started out as a spin-off show of The Cosby Show for actress Lisa Bonet - ended up being the Whitley & Dwayne show. Not that I'm complaining. I loved this couple. The geeky, lower class boy and the upper class snob - a definate case of opposites attract that worked really well. I love the ending of season 5 where Dwayne interupts the wedding, reminding me of "The Graduate", and I was cheering for them so loudly that my mom came into the room and told me to be quiet. This is still one of those shows that when I see that episodes are playing on tv, I will tape them to watch later (because of course they are on either really early in the morning or late at night or during the day when I am at work. One day I will have all the seasons on DVD, until then, long live the reruns.
  • I only discovered this show months ago, but it's a great program! If I had known about this show sooner, I definitely would have tuned in or bought the DVD's.

Looking for people you can relate to? Looking for people who may have similar lives as you? Well, look no further; A Different World is here! This is definitely one of the better college programs that I've seen.

This is a spin-off of The Cosby Show, and Denise Huxtable was one of the main characters during the run of the first season. She left the show after that, and I thought the whole show was going to fall apart right there, since most shows do when a character leaves. But luckily, they were able to bring in new characters for the later seasons, and they too, were great! I was amazed at how much I could relate to some of them. My favorite character was Dwayne Wayne, since I'm a lot like him when it comes to getting good grades in school. And yet, he still manages to have a good time with all of his best friends.

So overall, I would rate this program 8/10. If you haven't seen it yet, I'd recommend that you watch Season 1 first (that's what I did, and it definitely made the show more interesting for me).
  • It was a little cheesy and not quite as good as the cosby show, but it was worth watching.

7.6
    I did like this show, and even watched it later on in re-runs. It was better later because I was older and appreciated it a litle more. This show was kind of cheesy, but not Saved by the Bell cheesy. It was entertaining for the half hour it was on. The end of the show when they kept adding characters it wasnt as smooth as it was on the Cosby show, and that might have hurt the show a little. They had to add people because it was college and people did have to graduate. They seemed to struggle with writing at times, but overall it was a pretty good show.
  • Originally a spinoff of the cosby show in 1987 where denise huxtable was going to study at the fictional hillman college where her parents claire and cliff attended.

A pretty good show that lasted 6 seasons on nbc from 1987 to 1993,it starred lisa bonet(first season)jasmine guy,dawnn lewis,kardeem hardison to name a few.It ran on nbc on mondays right after the cosby show.It was a pretty funny show and I liked it alot.A bit under appreciated,still great reruns.
  • Lame in one word!

3.9
    Ok now to start this lets just say if you have seen The Cosby Show then you have basically seen everything from A Different World. To help you out the producers decided to revisit the well again so if you missed A Different World and The Cosby Show go ahead and watch Cosby and you will see the same exact storylines again. Just different character additions in different locations, now that should have been the name of the show but hey where would we all be if Growing Pains in its waining years hadn't picked up Leo what would we all have done instead of watching Titanic??
  • This Show Should Be Better Than The Cosby Show, But It Isn't... It's Just As Bad:

...which is kinda funny, because the title says "A Different World", but it is the same as "The Cosby Show" ( and NOT Cosby, which is a different show, so please stop calling The Cosby Show "COSBY". And COSBY is much better than The Cosby Show..

Too bad that Lisa Bonet didn't star in many shows or anything... Because it's disapointing that The Cosby Show is the only thing she starred in.... and this show is about the college she goes to.... so why does she leave after the 1st season.... and without bothering to guest star?!

She has to leave, so they really mess up her character by marrying a Navy officer and he is never home, and usually leaves the country, and takes his family with him. No wonder his first wife decided to divorce him and go to college. But they made it all look like her fault, when it actually is his fault.

There is no more Denise in the 1st season, and so far I have not seen her in the show after that. But maybe The Huxtables will stop guest starring if Denise isn't there.

And this is another show where not one character stars in every episode for the entire show. And what is with that guy?! There is this annoying guy with these stupid glasses and these stupid hinged sunglasses or whatever, and he allways has this dorky expression, and he gets on anybody's nerves. He is exactly like Will Smith. Don't they ever tell this kid to shut up?!
1 2 >