A Double Shot at Love

MTV - Music Television (ended 2009)

JusticeLeaguer

A Double Shot at Love Fan Reviews (3)

7.2
  • A temporary guilty pleasure, I'm certainly not proud of that, but it's exactly what you'd expect

5.5
    This show was airing at 3:30am on Sunday mornings, so when I inadvertently left the TV on one night after SNL, I discovered this – A Double Shot at Love with the Ikki Twins (the bisexual girls being named Rikki and Vikki respectively).
    I'd seen a little of the Tila Tequila version, so I knew what to expect. My first defense is that yes, I'm a twenty-something male, and the twins spend an exorbitant amount of time in skintight dresses or clothing that otherwise leaves so little to the imagination – easy reason to watch. Anybody who knows me, however, would instantly call the hypocrite card, because I believe that fundamentally, all reality television is a complete waste of time, for everyone involved – audience, cast, crew, producers. It's just not worth it. It's money that didn't have to be spent.
    But I watched. I watched this show through to the end. I like to think that the reason I did is because deep down, we all have this somewhat morbid fascination with the emotional trauma of others, the 'schadenfreude' sensation of needing to see someone else emotionally devastated to be able to take comfort in one's own emotional state. And you do. You want to watch the elimination to see if somebody cries, to see if somebody snaps, and it's because the reality approach completely trivializes the relationship concept. You can't spend one day with someone before deciding "I don't love you, that's final." How you feel about someone is a relationship you have to craft over time, and a lot of time is needed. Not to mention competitive projects aren't a measure of love. They're a measure of your ability to compete at camp gaming. Watching the contestants who've supposedly poured their hearts out to the girls get eliminated with a simple flippant catch-phrase makes you feel better about the two hour talk that ended your last relationship. I definitely felt the end of the show could have gone differently. But I also think that if the twins weren't such primp-and-polish California girls, if could have quite realistically been a flawless happy-ever-after. What I also know about reality TV is that you rarely see it released on DVD, so I think you're pretty much stuck to watching this on its parent network MTV, or just downloading it. Even then, you'll watch it but you won't keep it.