A for Andromeda Forums

BBC (ended 1961)

A for Andromeda: the new production

TheOldBill

[1]Mar 23, 2006
    • level: 94
    A new production of A for Andromeda comes to BBC Four on 27 March 2006.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

smsinstaller

[2]Mar 31, 2006
    • level: 1
    I've been a fan of Science Fiction for about the last forty years (Dr. Who as a child was my favourite), so I was looking forward to this new adapted version of A for Andromeda. I watched the whole thing through, but there were many moments when I just felt like turning it off and going to bed.

On the whole this was a truly poor viewing. It looked like the script had only partly been updated for 2006, there were parts where the direction and the script felt loosely tacked together and not part of a cohesive whole. Other than Tom Hardy none of the cast was even slightly believable. Jane Asher normally a competent actress just wandered around delivering lines but almost without any passion. Kelly Reilly was the weakest link in the whole sorry enterprise. Her acting was some of the worst I've ever seen, at no point did she look like a mathematician, she seemed to find it hard to walk across the set without doing Jim Carey like posturing. Only as the wooden biological robot Andromeda did she partly redeem herself.

The production values were so low that I can only think of Blake’s 7 as a point of comparison. The alien supercomputer looked like a cheap lampshade and I'm sure that I only saw three soldiers in the whole super secret complex. Please BBC, if you want to do Sci fi, spend more money, get much better writers, do a better job, because this is not acceptable. I advise all Sci fi lovers to avoid this production like the plague.

TheOldBill

[3]Apr 6, 2006
    • level: 94
    Harsh! The production was less than perfect, but I rather enjoyed it, actually.

Ethandune

[4]Aug 18, 2006
    • level: 54
    All BBC sci-fi is low budget, if not all BBC drama. It's no good to expect movie-quality sets or even photography, or else you'll be disappointed in everything. Blake's 7 and Doctor Who have all the same faults, if they are faults.
    Edited on 08/18/2006 11:00pm