A Pup Named Scooby-Doo

ABC (ended 1991)

A Pup Named Scooby-Doo Fan Reviews (47)

7.9
  • Like Mystery Solving Rugrats

Various ep (03)
  • Show is BAD

The show does`nt dit with the original cast. How do I know? If the humans in the group were high schoolers and this was the early days of Scooby, he would be way older than he was or dead. Plus, the kids are to smart for their age, making them unconvincing.
  • You must be pretty crazy if you saw this as a kid and did not like it.

I still like to watch A Pup Named Scooby-Doo even though I am not a child any longer. I grew up watching A Pup named Scooby-Doo, I even watched it at the age of 3. Granted, the series is not better than the original Scooby-Doo series or any other series but it is really cool. As a kid I really enjoyed this show. It is funny and there is always really good plots and stories. The monsters were always great and I remember them as much as I do Fred, Daphne, Velma, Scooby, and Shaggy. If you like 80's cartoons or just like Scooby-Doo then I recomend this series to you. Be warned that it is clearly aimed at kids so if you an older person it may be hard to get into.
  • This show sux !

1.5
    How come people like this show? I really hate this show, the original was amazing, this one was bad, and what's new scooby-doo was okay but this is one of my worst scooby-doo adapatation i think it has something to do with the characters being kids or pre-teens I don't remember if they said they were kids or pre-teens but some of them like Velma looks younger and shorter than a pre-teen but I think they said they were all preteens or (tweens) well, however, I just really hate this show even when I was little girl I use to always cry when this show came on and when my sister was about like 4 or 5, she was real addicted to this show and she still really loves it when she's now only 8 years old now so she's been watching it for years and years and I'm getting so sick and fed up with that. This is one of my worst shows ever ahead of the little mermaid series.
  • Scooby and the gang are itty bitty cute kids and puppy

As a kid show this is just too cute and oddly entertaining. Every show has a catchy song a little ones can dance to...I did when I was little. Freddie is a dummy, Daphne is vain, Velma is quietly a genius, and Shaggy and Scooby are...Shaggy and Scooby.

The show is more silly than the others so it's better for a younger audience. There is also another character named Red Harring who Fred always suspects to be the baddie but never is. Reds just a bully. However the kitty-ness of the show is what makes it an 8.5 instead of a 10. The animation is pretty good but the fact that it is targeted at a much younger audience and tends to give you a headache if you watch too many episodes at once.
  • I\'s scooby do but younger...........hugh?

Good: uuuuummmmmmm can i get back to you on this one?

bad: crapy acting dumb, humor, sucky storys, bad personality changes the list goes on and on

Dear lord this show is bad. Some of the charactors have very diffrent personalitys. I mean fready is a consperisy freak and dafny is a spoiled brat. Shagy and velma get very little show time. And scooby do has about 3 jokes for the entire show. And why make them kids? Probably just a ploy by the makers to get more money. Crapy humor, bad bad acting
    and repenitave story lines equil A Pup Named Scooby-Doo.
  • My favorite of all the Scooby Doo shows

this is one of my favorite cartoons growing up, it was real corny and cheesy but it was very funny and entertaining nonetheless. It shows the Mystery Gang as kids, which was a good thing for this show. I liked the recurrence of Red Herring, he was a funny character and I laughed every time he came up in an episode. Overall, this is why i like the show, because yes it is corny, but it is also very funny with original plots that have not been done before. My grade is an A- because it could have been better
  • A really good show, of when scooby and the gang were younger

Since i watched the new sccoby doo movie: mystery begins. It appears they only met when they were teenagers and shaggy is older than all of them because he got held back twice, wich is why he drives the mystery machine. But overall GOOOD, as much as it was GOOD, i think scooby was really cute when he was a puppy. Im sure most people would agree that some of the characters bios are off, but now for the good things... The story line is better for kids to follow and is even suitable for all ages, im sure youll agree again when i saw that this show is more for kids though!
  • I watch this in the morning.

It's another Scooby Doo show. So you must know a little bit about it, right? If you've watched the original and What's New Scooby Doo? then you'll like this one too. Instead of them all grown up, they're just kids solving mysteries. I do admit it's a bit repetitive, that you watch one episode you have already saw "all the episodes". So, here's how it usually goes: one person is having some sort of trouble, so the "gang" is there. They would listen to that person then set off to look for clues. The ghost, monster, whatever it is shows up probably once they found a clue. They run and hide, maybe act like a different person. That happens several times in the episode. A person shows up, which would be added as a suspect. Fast forward to the end, they gained all the clues, set up a trap (that probably won't work), then the people who hired them comes in. Fred accuses Red Herring, and Velma says who the suspect is and unmask the guy. Simple, right? Way too long for a "review".
  • Scooby-Dooby

For more than a decade, it looked as if this would be the final weekly Scooby Doo series. Following the unsuccessful run of The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo, the creators went back to the drawing board and turned the original "Mystery Inc." characters into small children, who now worked under the title of "The Scooby Doo Detective Agency." Gone were the days of a pup named Scrappy-Doo, this series ushered in the age of a pup named Scooby-Doo! Although they would have been this age in the '50s or '60s, the kids were far more like kids of the '80s, with computers, skateboards, and gadgets that were popularized far later. As in the original series, the villains of this series were always bad guys in rubber masks, a concept that they had gotten away from when Scrappy entered the show and the ghosts became real. More cartoonish than the rest of the shows, the characters seemed to nod back to the old Warner Bros. cartoons -- complete with bugging eyes, gaping jaws, and a myriad of hijinks and sound effects that were unlike previous Scooby-Doo entries.

One of the biggest running gags dealt with Freddy's nemesis, Red Herring, who was always accused of committing the crime, though he was never the perpetrator (except once). Other gags included Velma's catch-phrase "Jinkies" -- every time she uttered that phrase, it meant she had found a clue. Daphne became far more of a spoiled brat, whose butler, Jenkins, would come to her rescue anytime she called (which was often). Every episode had a chase scene that was underscored with a new song (much like the second season of Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!, during which time the stars would usually stop for a moment to dance. And episodes always wrapped with someone saying the villain would've gotten away with it if it weren't for "You lousy kids and a Pup Named Scooby-Doo!" It also started Freddie's phrase, "Let's split up gang".

The show played for a few years on ABC's Saturday morning schedule and then vanished without a trace until it surfaced several years later on Cartoon Network, where it's had a home ever since.

Theme Song Lyrics:

(Scooby-Dooby,

Scooby-Dooby,

Scooby-Dooby-Doo!)

There's a mystery in town,

So call the coolest pup around,

Call Scooby,

A pup named Scooby-Doo!

Join Shaggy, and the crew,

Daphne, Freddie, Velma too!

And Scooby!

A pup named Scooby-Doo!

(Scooby-Doobity-Doo, Scooby-Doo!)

When the ghostly ghoul attacks,

Scooby eats a Scooby Snack!

(Jinkies!)

(Scooby-Dooby,

Scooby-Dooby,

Scooby-Dooby-Doo!)

So come on, it's mystery time,

You can help us solve the crime,

With Scooby, a pup named Scooby,

Scooby, a pup named Scooby-Doo!

(Scooby-Doobity-Doo, Scooby-Doo!)

Scooby-Doo, where are you?

Scooby-Doo!
  • very good, overall

7.7
    over all the consept of a pup named scooby doo was great, i enjoyed there playfull school boy detective agincy, and there nighbehood mysteries, very good for the 80s. Very good for the smaller chuldren to enjoy, and very funey and amusing which is what we want in scooby doo. Ashame they had to cancel it, but all good things come to an end. But it was not perfect, it was a bit too childish even for chuldren, also they could have exspanded there settings, to mor than the nighbehood

Overall i give a 7.7, for a splendid show to are history of scooby doo.
  • Okay so... Maybe I enjoy this scooby doo series more than the others. I think they have more peril than screaming like in the other series. So Read this review and AGREE!

Okay so... Maybe I enjoy this scooby doo series more than the others. I think they have more peril than screaming like in the other series. I guess I just think that these are clever brilliant monster ideas. I know it sounds silly but really I wish this was the one that was on the most because this was just Peril related is what I like to watch mostly. I will however do enjoy all Scooby-doo series just I want more episodes. That means we need a new season on Cartoon Network so I can at least see more episodes. I guess I want another season for more monsterly peril. I wish this was still containing episodes. Do you??? Do your friends, etc??????
  • A pup named scooby doo has nothing new to the Franchise. The Only Differnece is that they made the Chracthers Younger.

6.7
    My 46th review after the Worst Nelvana cartoon of all time: Maggie and the Ferocious Beast. This cartoon Did not make any new things. it's the same old plot, same Scripts, and same Chrcathers. The music is Terrible, Lacky and Annoying. They had to sing Scooby dooby doo!!! 100,000 times on the dang SONG!!!!!!!! I rather get ran over by a Bullet Train down the Tokyo Subway, and get dragged over by the Train Wire, up to 500,000 Miles! rather then listening to the music! The Music SUCKS DOG BUTT!!!!! but the whole cartoon isn't that Bad. This cartoon will get a C-. Here the Results:

Voice-acting: C 6.0/10.0 There is nothing new in the Voice-acting to the Franchise. it's just the Same.

Animation: D 4.0/10.0 The Animation is Poorly drawn and it has Ugly Washed-up Bright Colors.

Graphics: D 4.0/10.0 The Graphics Stink too. That's what makes the cartoon so Ugly.

Sound: F 2.0/10.0 The sound effects are good, while the theme song and the chase song is Terrible! It's lacky and it's Annoying like I said before!

Dialouge: C-- 5.0/10.0 Nothing new still.

Lasting Appeal: B+ 7.8/10.0 The cartoon may be ugly but it can still be decent and a bit fun to watch.

Overall: C- 6.7/10.0 This is one of the few Hanna-Barbera Rip-offs in younger forms. There are others like: Tom and Jerry kids, The Filnstones Kids, Even This! This cartoon is not all that good. This is just a Rip-off. Do Not watch it if you don't like it.
  • I used to love this show so much!

Wow, a pup named scooby-doo. It was never as good as the original series, but i used to love this show when i was about seven. I used to plan my day around it and everything! I also like the fact it is on Cartoon Network now, but rarely. So, about the show itself, it was cool, but the monsters were a little lame... at least now that I look back. Whenever A Pup Named Scooby-doo comes on, im like, OMG! A pup named scooby-doo, no way! I dont know, though... i just feel like I liked it more when I was a kid but i will always like this show!
  • A cute adorable scooby doo.... but still not as good as the original.

A pup named scooby doo is the mysteries that Fred, Daphane, Velma, Shaggy, and Scooby Doo solved before they were all grown up. While the show is good it lacks a lot of the suspense and comedy that the original offers. Yet still it makes a great show for almost any age. The characters in a younger age are nothing like what lead up to be when they grow up. Fred is a bit of a gullible magazine believer who is always blaming the monster on the bully Red Hering. Daphane is a rich, spoiled snob who really doesn't believe in ghosts, and worries way to much about how clean she is. Velma is pretty much the same, but a little more electronic and nerdy. Shaggy and Scooby are pretty much the same, but they are HUGE comic book geeks. All in all if you don't want much of a mystery, but a goofy bunch of kids trying to solve one then a Pup Named Scooby Doo is for you.
  • Nothing can be the Scooby-Doo Series

This show in which i grew up with is great. I loved it when i was a Kid, and still do. Even though this is "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo" which is my favorite in the series...Is classic Its gotten better and Plus More the Mysteries Now and days, i watch this on Boomarang. Me and my brother Love it...Its funny, and a classic. Scooby-doo pretty much got me into Drawing, You see I'm a Artist

Without scooby-doo, Would i be able to draw today?
    Many people Love Scooby-doo for the fact that its a Fun show to watch, Scooby-doo Will last forever...

It gets a Lickin' 10/10
  • Great Show

Puppy Scooby-Do and his four young friends have a knack for getting involved in mysteries ranging from bicycle theft to bank robbery. Never mind that Scooby-Doo's gang is barely old enough to enroll in elementary school! Fred takes an enthusiastic lead with his often far-fetched theories, while Daphne is most concerned about getting messy. Shaggy is laid-back and easily spooked and Velma, though a tyke of few words, exhibits a very busy intellect. Scooby-Do, who bears almost no resemblance to the often-annoying Scrappy-Doo some viewers may be familiar with, performs for Scooby Snacks. What's unique to the A Pup Named Scooby-Doo series is that the ghosts and monsters are slightly less scary, the clues are more obvious, and Velma walks young viewers through the process of figuring out the identities of the thieves just prior to their revealing.
  • I loved this show when I was little.

A Pup named Scooby-Doo came out a few years before I was born but but I first seen it on Cartoonnetwork about in 1998 or 1999 and I loved it I would watch it every day during the summer time I loved how Fred Velma and Daphne had diffrent persnalites when they were little kids and of course Shaggy and Scooby always acted the same way since they were kids in the show I also liked how they has new characeters in the show like Red hairing and they showed Shaggy's parents and everyonce in awhile his little sister Shauggy I think they called her I would still watch A Pup named Scooby-Doo! whenever I see it on I will rate A Pup named Scooby-Doo! a 9.9!
  • Not as good as the regular scooby doo, but it still great.

I thought that this was a decent show even though I don't think it was as great as the original scooby doo. I thinkthe original had some very thick and more orginized plots than this scooby doo. This is still a great show even though the original is much better. BUt most people don't think thisshow is great just probably because they thought the original is better, but its not comparing to a different show, this is comparing to just the show its self.
    Yeah this is still a great show that I wish would come back so it can bring joy to kids!
  • I loved it!

This was a great spinoff from Scooby-Doo. It was cool seeing Scooby and the gang as kids. Their mysteries weren't as exciting or mysterious, but they were still fun to watch! The monsters/ghosts/aliens/things were more kid-friendly and goofy. Their intentions were also kiddish (if that's a word). I enjoyed the series very much. They kept their personal traits for example, Daphne was still fashionable and rich, Velma was still smart and nerdy, Shaggy was laid back and afraid of everything, Freddy was still a leader, and Scooby-Doo was, well, Scooby! A Pup Named Scooby-Doo was a great show, so I give it a 9.
  • There are 4 kids and a talking dog that live in just a little town and are all friends. They call themselves mystery inc. because they solve the mysteries that pop up in their town.

This show is very inlightening and i think that it has a moral at the end that u have to look for to find. The characters are all very intresting in their own way. Velma is very intresting because she is like a genious for her age and she always seems to catch on to things that the rest of the team overlooks. Fred is like the leader of the team. He is the studd and he loves Daffnie. He always splits them up gives out the orders and has the plan. Daffnie loves fred. She is the little rich girl that when she calls for him her butler comes to do whatever she says. Shaggy is Scooby's owner. They are always hungry and always really scared. ALL characters ALWAYS where the same clothes.
  • Extremely dorky

7.1
    A scooby-doo counterpart made for kids, the show is extremely cheesy and dorky. Its really fun to watch, (actually, its kinda embarassing). A Pup Named Scooby-Doo is one of those shows that you would only watch as an absolute complete resort when absolutely nothing is on. The show itself is more annoying than entertaining.
  • A pup Named Scooby Doo is GREAT!!!

This show is just like the old Scooby Doo but they are kids!. IT is a very good and funny show over all if you like the old Scooby Doo show. Fred is a bit annying but still very like able. This show has some very cool songs as well and the beggining of the show is just amazing with how cool it is! I used to wacht this show every dat when the show first came out. Every now and then you come arcoss one that is not to good but it is like that with just about anything. I hope you guys enjoy this show!
  • great show

A Pup Named Scooby Doo is great. I loved watching that cartoon when I was little and I have been trying to find a collection of all 30 episodes on DVD but it is practically impossible. This show was great for kids to watch it could make kids want to explore the world so to speak. I know it made me want to. I really loved that cartoon it was humorous and I loved it. I wish that was still making it. Then they were kids and a pup and it was more of a kids cartoon now the Original Scooby Doo it is great but I would prefer the A Pup Named Scooby Doo over the original any day. It really upsets me that i never get to watch it.
  • Mixing the aura of Scooby Doo with the make-'em-younger conceit of Muppet Babies with the outrageous animation and irreverance of Bakshi's Mighty Mouse just doesn't click.

5.3
    Since 1969, the interchangeable storylines of the many versions of Scooby Doo has been the stuff of cartoon legendm for better or worse. There had been eleven separate Scooby shows from 1969 to the debut of A Pup Named Scooby Doo and the format remained unchanged.

Only here, producer Scott Jeralds chose to change the design to resemble what Ralph Bakshi did a year earlier with Mighty Mouse, which on CBS was a critical hit but not a ratings hit. He made Scooby a pup and the gang elementary-school age, and the resulting alchemy just doesn't produce gold. (I digress, it was nominated for an Emmy that season.) Bakshi's writers took chances with situations, animation and dialogue that hadn't been seen on Saturday morning since George Of The Jungle (ABC, 1967-70), and with Mighty Mouse it worked since he worked with the character before in the early 1960s. It's difficult to peg such outrageous graphics to a series whose ground rules were set in stone such as Scooby Doo. The forgettable songs and accompanying dance scenes don't help.

If there's anything to note that's truly positive, it's how well fleshed out the relationship of the gang is. Scooby is obedient to Fred and Daphne and best friends with Shaggy, but he adores Velma. And who couldn't? Here Velma is quiet, pragmatic, and very endearing. She gets as many "wet puppy kisses" from Scooby as Shaggy does.

Among the pantheon of Scooby shows that ABC has run (after getting it from CBS), A Pup Named Scooby Doo wasn't a classic show, but in an era where TV cartoons were mainly created by network committee, it wasn't a flop, either.
  • This is just adorable!

I absolutely love this show! If you\'ve watched Scooby Doo, you can\'t go wrong with a pup named Scooby Doo! This series is terrific. It has better songs than the original Scooby and Scooby is absolutely adorable as a puppy! Congratulations, Hanna Barbara. You\'ve made a keeper!

They also brought in some interesting characters. this series introduces Velma\'s mom, a bully named Red Herring and a creature named Stinkweed! I guess the only problem is that Velma looks worse as a kid and that she hardly ever talks now. I mean, the only thing she ever says is \"Jinkies\", which is rather biased when you think about it. Other than that, this series has potential.
  • Great Show!

When I was little, I would always set aside time to watch this show...I found it hilarious when Fred would always accuse the evil men from his comics or red herring every time...and I liked how scooby's dog house was more like an actual mansion instead of a house...ahhh good times...I wish this show was still on...:-( it's never on boomerang either...wait I stand corrected...anyhow, this is a wonderful show!
  • Scooby Doo The younger years

A pup named scooby doo, is about Mystery Inc. then called the scooby doo detective agency, as kids. its a pretty good show, one of the show's running gags is Fred always blaming Red Harring... the neighboring bullie for everything. and shaggy and scooby the scaredy cats that they always are. None of them are really any different then in the older shows, its weird seeing them as kids.
  • Childhood Years

As much as I love to be a kid again, we all got to see Scooby-Doo and the Mystery Gang as children. Shaggy and Scooby has the same voice actors. Daphne doesn't believe in ghosts. Fred constantly thinks Red Herring is up to no good. Velma doesn't speak much, however she does say "Jinkies!" That's the way to tell she has found a clue. This Scooby-Doo series is better than the other ones. (I still like the one that features Scrappy-Doo).
  • A young version of Scooby and Mystery Inc. solve mysteries in a city called Coolsville.

This series is rather interesting. Though there have been kid versions of plenty of popular shows (Looney Toons and Tom and Jerry are the other two on Cartoon Network). Though unlike in Scooby Doo, Where are you? In which they just seem to plop out a random solution, in this series they give out clues to the criminal. As far-fetched as the answers may be. The monsters range from a weredog who is supposed to be Scooby when it is the fullmoon to a ghost of a librarian who is mad at Scooby and Shaggy for not returning a book. The ghosts are always people in masks like they were in Scooby Doo, Where are you? However, the addition of the interactivity gives it a 7/10 instead of a much lower grade.