Aaahh!!! Real Monsters

Nickelodeon (ended 1997)

Aaahh!!! Real Monsters Fan Reviews (56)

• AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH These monsters are hilarious! LOL hilarious!

My only problem with it is that it rips off Monster Inc.
  • Top Shows (of the 90s)

Most to all ep (96-10)
  • Aaahh! Real Great Cartoons!

Aaahh! Real Monsters! Need I explain more? I was really excited to see another show from Klasky Csupo, the geniuses who made Rugrats. In my opinion, this is just as good as that show. Each character in the show had a different appeal and they were unique from one another, and in each episode there were new, more hilarious jokes. Man, Nickelodeon made such great cartoons back in the 90s, now instead of cartoons they're acting like their sister channel TeenNick. I don't know if this is the president's doing or not, but hopefully one day I can return to the channel. If Nick had a heart they would at least play reruns of this.
  • A good show from the company that brought us Rugrats

Thanks to the magic of Netflix, I was able to rediscover this show. I can distinctly remember being scared of this show when it was originally on Nickelodeon, but it was more because of all the screaming than the actual monsters. Now that I'm older and more mature...well, older anyway, I was able to see this show in a new light. And I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by just how good it is.

Basically, "AAAHH!!! Real Monsters" is a show about monsters living in the same world as humans. In order to exist, monsters must regularly scare humans. The main characters are Ickis, Krumm, and Oblina, three young monsters attending school on how to scare humans.

Each main character is distinct in their own way: Ickis feels that he needs to live up to the legacy his father (a very successful scarer) has made, leaving him very insecure; Oblina is the top student at school, as opposed to her two more laid-back friends, so she sometimes comes off as a know-it-alll; and Krumm...is a happy-go-lucky, smelly guy who holds his eyeballs in his hands.

Despite the fact that these three characters are so drastically different, they're best friends. At the end of the day, they'll do anything for each other. That's what I like about the show; beneath all the over-the-top scary faces and screaming, it's a show about three friends who aren't perfect, but are willing to do anything each other when the going got tough. Even the Gromble, the trio's sadistic teacher, has moments that show that he wants his students to succeed, even though he also revels in making them miserable. Of course, it also helps that the Gromble is one of those characters inspired by the Blue Meanies from "Yellow Submarine." ^_^

So, in case you haven't figured it out yet, "AAAHH!!! Real Monsters" is one of those rare shows that has managed to rub me the right way. I give it a thumbs-up.
  • A great show about an academy for monsters.

Aaahh!!! Real Monsters was another great Nick Toon that was fun to watch. To me it was also Klasky Csupo's very best cartoon. It was often quite invetive and all the characters had their own unique personalities, much like Monsters Inc. It's just a shame that Nick no longer make great shows like this. They've really went right downhill and now have garbage like "Fairly Odd Parents" and a show by the same creator, "Danny Phantom". For me neither of these shows are that great and are overrated by fans. I will forever miss Retro Nick. Anyway, that concludes my review. Peace!!
  • Another same show.

There are many shows that I think is fine,but I don't like them.I got Kablam,Rocko's Modern Life,Action League Now and Hey Arnold.This one is one of them.I like Ickis.He is my favorite character on this show.Well,Nick has put on a bunch of shows like the ones I just explainded to you earlier.Krumm is maybe fine,but Oliva or whatever her name is is pretty much ugly like her eyes.Ickis scare with his eyes turning red is great and this show is pretty great too.I grade this show a B because it's like my other fine shows on Nickelodeon that are not one of my favorites.
  • TERRIBLE!

This show is terrible! I hate it! Glad it's gone. I think half these shows from 5 years ago stunk! I don't wanna carry on how much this stinks, but I need 100 words. Gag! This is just plain terrible and ashamed it was made. Jeez! Still not 100 words, that's why it stinks. I can't explain how bad it is in 100 words since it stinks too much!
  • one of my favs...

man, i miss this show! it was really cool! it's a shame that it lasted for a mere 3 years=[ ahhh! real monsters is such an underrated show that was on nick. animation:9/10 really good animation

plots:10/10 awsome!!

characters:10/10 ickis is funny! i luv oblina & krumm too!

jokes:10/10:hilarious jokes

i definately recommend ahh! real monsters to this generation's kids. you wont regret watchin this classic nick show. i could watch show forever & not get tired of it. luv it! luv it! luv it! luv it! luv it! luv it! luv it! luv it! luv it! luv it! luv it! luv it! bye!
  • A show about monsters to be the best at scaring school.

I remember watching this show when I was really young and it's about three monsters tring to scare humans and they always go on crazy adventures, the characters are good and I mostly like The Gromble he is one hilarous monster and one funny teacher. Ickis Oblina and Krumm are cool too. Another classic Nicktoon that was fun to watch.
  • ah yes this was a brillant show but degusting

5.9
    this show was on since i was born it was an ok show but brings laugther to everyone but when we grew older we started hating the show because it was childish and full with main ideas we dont like to seee for insents the characther was eyes hanging on his head and that girl who looks like an umberlla and that other i just dont know it just degusting show but its kinda of cool my freinds seem to enjoy and so do everyone else poeple say it an 8. something but im glad thhose ugly monsters got a good rating so thats it
  • I grew up with this show & still love it!

Oh wow, this is definately one of the shows that made me really happy when I was little. I still can't beleive that it's gone. It was airing on Nicktoons Network for a little while & that was great, but now it seems that they have also removed the classic cartoon for some stupid shows they beleive are great. *coughkappamikeycough* well Nick can start doing what mtv dose, make a new channle that they **** up (sorry)
    I got a little off topic didn't I?
    anyway it's a show about monsters who are still learning how to be champion scarers. they are basically in a boarding school, & the three main monsters (Oblina, Ickis, Krumm) are not exactly the most popular students or the best at scareing. so it shows random days & adventures that these 3 and some of the other students have. I say Nick should bring it back... NOW
  • This is a show about a group of monsters that go to school and learn how to scare away humans.

OMG OMG I used to absolutely love this show. It wasn't scary and it wasn't on for very long. It's so much better than the rubbish new Nick shows. I'd get up extra early in the morning every day just to watch this show, or I'd have my dad record it for me. It was so funny and such a shame that it had to be taken off the air. I know these creatures are weird-looking and ugly, but that's the whole point of the show. My dad would say the show was weird and stupid, but it wasn't! Can someone please bring this show back on tha air!!!
  • Better than Mighty Son Of A B!

This was another good classical Nicktoon that crapped-out Nickelodeon had to cancel. it was the third best Klasky-Csupo cartoon next to The Simpsons and Duckman. I loved Ickis, he got himself into all sorts of trouble while trying to scare someone(much like Mike, from Monsters Inc). Krumm is sort of a creepy, but funny character. Krumm's eyeballs are not attached to his body, because he holds them in his hands. Olbina is a rich black and white monster that looks like a worm. The Gromble is the teacher, ehh... he wasn't too important. The Snorch is a big disabled monster who punishes the students who break the rules.There was another monster who looks like a bee with a hairy leg with green hair.Simon is the monster that tries to capture Ickis for some reason, I don't like him! He tries and tries and always fails. Why didn't he give up? He's my least fave of the show (much like Plankton). Overall, a good classical Nicktoon but had some potty humor at times. I could see how this show was related to The Simpsons.

Final Grade: B

Would be A+ if it didn't have potty humor *cough* Ren & Stimpy.
  • this is a child hood fav for me.

i remeber watching this show and loving it, i hope they bring it on dvd out here soon. this was one of the cartoons i would watch on Nick it great the story of a school where monsters go to learn and scare kids and the monsters there were great and the teacher just an awesome kids tv show.

the animation was great and a really funny cartoon and my fav monster was the one how he had to hold his eyes, it is just a great show. this show was so perfect for morning watching and thats when i will always remember watching it.
  • Could have been worse, but it wasn't bad at all

This program, like many of its fellow 1990's shows was a truly spectacular program. I grew up in the 90's and I can safely say that all those shows were just about perfect in my book. This show had it's bad sides, where it was a bit on the disgusting side, and sometimes it scared me, but it was always something that I looked forward to watching. It was thrilling, and definitely fun to see. I miss the show quite a bit now, and if it were to be put out on DVD, I would definitely want the episodes. If you ever see this show, give it a chance, I guarantee you'd love it.
  • I can't say very many bad things about this show, that's how good it is.

I really love this show, what can I say? The story was great, the plot was excellent, the general storyline was superb, the animation was brillant... oh gosh, stop me. I can go on all day but that is just the tip of the iceberg. If there is any show to petition for, this is your ticket, man, this is your show. Although petitions work as good as a VHS in a DVD player, but that's beside the point. I think that this show could be a bit better rated, because personally I think it deserves better than (currently) an 8.1. It definately deservers a 90/100.
  • I believe that this series could have been a lot better, as I have never cared too much about toilet humor, but I believe that it was a classic and I wish I would have watched more episodes.

Aaahh!!! Real Monsters was a classic animated program that I used to enjoy watching, though I'm sure I would still enjoy watching it if it were still on the air. However, I always disliked some of the intentionally gross details of the series; I know toilet humor was popularized by Ren & Stimpy, but I honestly believe that more of an emphasis should have been placed on the monsters scaring people. Most episodes focused on that, I know, but I believe that they didn't focus on that fact enough; the series had a ton of potential, and even though I believe it was a successful series, I feel that it could have been better than it was. With that said, I have no further complaints; I loved the characters, especially Ickis, and I believe that the series used all of the characters rather well. People won't be able to watch the series, since it's no longer on television, but I believe it was a great animated program and it's one of the shows I'll remember whenever I think about animation in the 1990s.
  • A secret society of monsters living underground!

This was my favorite show by Klasky-Csupo, back in the 90s. The premise was that monsters DO exist, underground, beneath a dump. The monsters' main purpose in life is to scare humans, and if they fail to do so in a long period of time, they start to vanish (as revealed in one episode). To educate them on how to perfect their scaring techniques, young monsters attend the Monster Academy, headed by a strange four-legged guy named the Gromble. The monsters go out and scare, and then replay the situations through a viewfinder. And if they fail an assignment, they have to be punished by the Snorch, and his little winged assistant Zimbo. The main characters here are Ickis, a magenta monster with rabbit ears, though a scaredy-monster, can still pull off a scare. Oblina looks like a candy cane with lips, but can also pull her innards out of her mouth. And Krumm is an incredibly smelly guy who holds his eyes in his hands. Klasky-Csupo's somewhat ugly style fits the show perfectly. And I must admit I had more fun watching the monsters than I did with Rugrats, KC's more popular creation.
  • This is no ordinary school, and no ordinary students either... Welcome to the Monster Academy, where students learn the terrifying tricks of the monster trade, and get the necessary qualifications for a life of advance scarifying (their GCS-Eeks?).

This series, I used to watch when I was a kid. I use to wait for it to come on television everyday. It was a very funny kid series at the time when it was airing on television. Anyway, it was a great series and should be list as a classic when it come to cartoons for kids. To parents who don't mind their kids watching cartoons like this will be great for them. Anyway, the series was funny, cool and a great series for kids. I was glad I was able to watch it when I could. Get it for your kids.
  • The show takes us through the struggles of life as a child monster. Three monster friends are studying how to scare humans in school. Often their attempts don't work out as planned and they end up in alot of fun adventures.

This kind of material can easily make one lose his lunch. But it's still one of the many most imaginative cartoons ever made. I like the threesome between Ickis, Krumm, and Oblina, and I love the Gromble's delivery. A lot of the stories are very funny. Some involve Krumm having explosive hiccups, some feature Oblina losing her brain, while others might have Ickis controlling time with a seemingly ordinary clock.

Overall, Real Monsters is a definite winner. Sadly, it's rarely seen on TV these days. It's a shame that a studio that once produced such wonderful cartoons are now generating bottom-feeders' delight like The Wild Thornberrys, Rocket Power, new Rugrats, and As Told by Ginger. And although Nick has the right idea of showing SpongeBob and the OddParents, they seriously can't afford anymore bad cartoons, especially from Klasky-Csupo. Their reign of terror WILL soon come to an end -- MARK MY WORDS!
  • Why does Nickelodeon have to take away every good show?

I thought that this show was absolutly amazing!! Next to Avatar the last airbender, this was nick's best show ever. It dident have the same action and adventure factor of Avatar, but it definatly had the quirkiness factor going on. And that made this show great. I loved all the characters, and their names. (Like Icis, and Oblina) It was sooo cute haha. I cant belive nick would be stupid enough to cancel this show in favor of some random crap like spongebob pooppants. WHy nick? WHY?!?!!? Sometimes Nick makes me so mad I want to punch the tv in. But I dont. Lukcy them.
  • Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, is one of the few good Nick shows. If only they knew which shows were actually worth canceling.

7.9
    This show is similar to CatDog in many ways.
    They both didn't rely on humour; They both remind me of when I was young; They're both good, and they didn't deserve to be canceled. Thankfully, all episodes are available online; a great place to revisit old memories of this show.

This review would be a lot more accurate if I had seen more episodes of this show but I have seen about 5 recently, so I'm pretty aware of what this show is about.
    Definitely a show to check out, and by far one of the best shows ever to be on Nickelodeon.
  • This was a very good show that aired in Nick.

This show was so good in the time it used to air in TV. I really liked the character like Ickis, and Omblima and various other that were very good and the show lasted for many years in which made it a great one. Also this show deserves a great rating for it's episodes that had many scary and funny things in them. The place they use to live was scary. But it had many monsters in it, in fact it was a monster academy that I think it was really cool. I liked the way they used to scare people because it seemed funny and all. For being a great show I give it a 8.6 great rating for my review.
  • Gross!

4.5
    Aaahh!!! Real Monsters is one of the worst shows on the planet plus it's gross especially the way Krumm likes rolling in the mud it maybe one of the worst shows ever but it does have some moments it's quite funny sometimes but most of the time it's very very corny i hate Oblina she is such a jerk to Ickis and Krumm and yet they never do anything to her the only characters which are ACTUALLY good are: Ickis Krumm(When he's not being gross) and The Gromble i am so glad this show is cancelled sadly it still shows repeats on Nicktoons UK in the holidays they just showed Invader ZIM now Rocko(i like this show though) and Real Monsters are back on the air i am unhappy this show is back on the air on Nicktoons UK i hate coming down and seeing this show on i only watch this show because nothing else is on other than that this show sucks and i am glad this show is cancelled!
  • Aaahhhh!!!!!!!! Real Monsters: An OK Show

Aaahh!! Real Monsters was an American animated television series about adolescent monsters in training, developed by Klasky-Csupo for Nickelodeon. The show ran for four seasons on Nickelodeon's main United States cable channel. The show focuses on three monsters in particular (Ickis, Oblina and Krumm) who attend a school for monsters under a city dump and learn to frighten humans. Many of the episodes revolve around the monsters making it to the surface in order to perform "scares" as class assignments. The show was fairly popular in its time, though it never reached the level of popularity attained by SpongeBob SquarePants, The Fairly OddParents, Rugrats, or The Ren and Stimpy Show for example.
  • I couldn't stand this show at first, but I began to think it was ok in the end.

Ahhhh! REal Monsters is definintly a nicktoons classic. Although I didn't really watch the show, it was one of the longest running original nicktoons in Nickelodeon's history. I didn't really care for the animation though. That what really kept me from watching the show. However, I decided to wathc an episode one day, and it was pretty funny. I believe I saw the episodes from the last season. The monster and the way they looked also kept me from watching this show, but i overlooked that in the end. My favorite in particular was the smart allec rabbit, so little to have so much lip
  • AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! This show is AWSOME!

This is a great show. I loved coming home from school and this show was coming on and I would get a sandwich and sit and watch this show. The show was funny and disgusting. I loved it. It kinda reminded me of Ren & Stimpy, but not as bad. I loved watching it but i wouldn't say it was one of the best shows but it was still pretty good. I can't watch it now because I have seen every episode and now the show is kind of boring to me now because it is not one that you could watch over and over again. Not many people appreciated the show like some people did. It was a "scary" (yeah right) cartoon for kids (if they was like 2 yrs. old) that was fun to watch. Everyone should watch it and see what i mean and I believe that some of the people would feel like me.
  • Awesome show. All i need to say.

This show was one of my favorites. I watched it all the time and I miss it. They should deffinately bring this show back. Ickis was my favorite. I loved how they always got into trouble. i w a n t n i c k e l o d e o n t o b r i n g t h i s s h o w b a c k n o w. Im sorry I dont really know what else to say about it which is why Im trying to fill atleast 100 words. So thats my review.. bye.
  • I used 2 love this cartoon

I loved this cartoon. I remember as a kid I was obsessed with Ickis. I think this cartoon Could actually be brought back If it was " modernized ". This cartoon was made during a time when " Toliet Humor " was pretty dominent in most cartoons at the time. However, now the cartoon would be considered gross and immature by the aduience. But I do think there could be hope for it if the cartoon was adjusted to fit the times, a few things would be kept to keep true to the plot and characters of course.
  • This used to be one of my favorite shows...

7.3
    This show used to be the highlight of my day when i was seven. Ickis was my favorite character. the show was funny because the gang always got into trouble, basically my childhood, but thats another story. I felt the show reflected what life was like for children back then. Teachers yelling at us and being with your friends. The machine in the show to see your memories was awesome. i was that was real so i could use it, unless it got me in trouble like it did for Ickis when he was late for monster class. This show should be brought back. At least play the reruns once in a while.
< 1 2