Aaahh!!! Real Monsters

Nickelodeon (ended 1997)

Aaahh!!! Real Monsters Fan Reviews (56)

• A secret society of monsters living underground!

This was my favorite show by Klasky-Csupo, back in the 90s. The premise was that monsters DO exist, underground, beneath a dump. The monsters' main purpose in life is to scare humans, and if they fail to do so in a long period of time, they start to vanish (as revealed in one episode). To educate them on how to perfect their scaring techniques, young monsters attend the Monster Academy, headed by a strange four-legged guy named the Gromble. The monsters go out and scare, and then replay the situations through a viewfinder. And if they fail an assignment, they have to be punished by the Snorch, and his little winged assistant Zimbo. The main characters here are Ickis, a magenta monster with rabbit ears, though a scaredy-monster, can still pull off a scare. Oblina looks like a candy cane with lips, but can also pull her innards out of her mouth. And Krumm is an incredibly smelly guy who holds his eyes in his hands. Klasky-Csupo's somewhat ugly style fits the show perfectly. And I must admit I had more fun watching the monsters than I did with Rugrats, KC's more popular creation.