Aaahh!!! Real Monsters

Nickelodeon (ended 1997)

Aaahh!!! Real Monsters Fan Reviews (56)

• A good show from the company that brought us Rugrats

Thanks to the magic of Netflix, I was able to rediscover this show. I can distinctly remember being scared of this show when it was originally on Nickelodeon, but it was more because of all the screaming than the actual monsters. Now that I'm older and more mature...well, older anyway, I was able to see this show in a new light. And I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by just how good it is.

Basically, "AAAHH!!! Real Monsters" is a show about monsters living in the same world as humans. In order to exist, monsters must regularly scare humans. The main characters are Ickis, Krumm, and Oblina, three young monsters attending school on how to scare humans.

Each main character is distinct in their own way: Ickis feels that he needs to live up to the legacy his father (a very successful scarer) has made, leaving him very insecure; Oblina is the top student at school, as opposed to her two more laid-back friends, so she sometimes comes off as a know-it-alll; and Krumm...is a happy-go-lucky, smelly guy who holds his eyeballs in his hands.

Despite the fact that these three characters are so drastically different, they're best friends. At the end of the day, they'll do anything for each other. That's what I like about the show; beneath all the over-the-top scary faces and screaming, it's a show about three friends who aren't perfect, but are willing to do anything each other when the going got tough. Even the Gromble, the trio's sadistic teacher, has moments that show that he wants his students to succeed, even though he also revels in making them miserable. Of course, it also helps that the Gromble is one of those characters inspired by the Blue Meanies from "Yellow Submarine." ^_^

So, in case you haven't figured it out yet, "AAAHH!!! Real Monsters" is one of those rare shows that has managed to rub me the right way. I give it a thumbs-up.