ABC's The Lookout

Wednesday 10:00 PM on ABC Premiered May 29, 2013 In Season

ABC's The Lookout Fan Reviews (33)

4.9
  • camera

I enjoy the content, but the cameraman is terrible. Short, choppy filming - gives one a headache!
  • "Commercial King" waiting on "Karma"

I enjoyed watching your investigating on all issues. We often forget about or haven't heard of issues in the news so old or new I still enjoy shining some light on issues that need our attention. Seems like some of us, especially those who are against it, need to be watched more often. I'm all for more public cameras and our privacy being invaded. If that's what it takes to stop corruption and so many other crimes, I'm all in! No ones unique so why get all freaked out over it unless you have something to hide that's wrong/illegal.
  • hotel packages - aired Wed, 8/7/13

did anyone get/remember the name of the hotel in Mexico that was "the good one" - clean, luxurious, etc. I believe it was $82 a night? It was revealed after the horrible, buggy Krystal

Thanks -
  • Legal Scamming walkfit platinium

Can you please expose the scam that walk fit platinium, they charge you for Three pairs instead of one: $29.99 vs $59.99 and guess what: don't issue a confirmation order or receipt just a tracking number, so you have no way to prove that you order only a pair.

Please try to expose so they stop scamming people.
  • Sensationalism Not Facts

As a USAA member for over 30 years, I was disappointed in the response of USAA not to appear on the show. I was prepared to contact USAA to voice my displeasure only to find out that ABC bent the facts to suit their purposes. You may side with ABC, but my experience with USAA has me give them the benefit of the doubt. This site does not allow links, but you can read USAA's response with a detailed account of the facts and relevant laws by Googling USAA's Response to Post-Sandy Story on ABC.

How about ABC doing a story on how the various insurance companies responded to Sandy victims?
  • Regurgitating old news

This show is awful! Almost every story is old. Tonight's story for instance, about cars being sold that were damaged by flood waters from Hurricane Sandy is OLD. Mechanics with hidden cameras, OLD. They also repeat themselves over and over. They will come back from a commercial and virtualy recap every single thing you already saw. It's as if they have nothing worth reporting and just need to fill the time. And when it's not old news, it's a totally stupid story like something about feng shui. So sorry to see people like Bill Weir and Cynthia Mcfadden involved in this mess. They are wasted talent in this waste of time show.
  • I like to this show

I like the show, it's not perfect as some people have pointed out, but it does give you a heads up, and things to look for when you go to buy a car or go on vacation to having work done. Thanks for bringing things to light so I know to do my own(extra) homework on people or things pertaining to buying or hiring anybody or anything. I find this show interesting
  • Selling flooded vehicles, Tonight's episode 7/31/2013

I blame the insurance company... Someone simply not doing their job. Title should have been stamped "FLOODED".
  • Not a fan

Caught two episodes. Really boring show about topics that are not very interesting. Was excited to see a new show about consumer problems but this one is not done well at all.
  • Diamond

5.5
    Ok! Polishing is, in fact, filling the cracks of a surface with some substance, whatever it is, in order to make it smoother and/or appealing to the eye.

It is no different than one polishing his/her wooden furnitures with some oil.

The gentleman's explanation of the diamond condition using the word polishing was perfectly appropriate.

Also, only external cracks could be filled, not internal ( if they exist).
  • Mechanic's piece.

4.5
    I will tell you why these mechanic and supervisor's are cheating. Just like in 1990's sales are down and these employers are pushing for them to sell more. My husband just left Pep boys for that reason. His blood pressure was up and I was afraid he was going to stroke out. It was not that he was not making money for the company but that he just was not making enough money for the company. He has been in the automotive business for 35 years. He has skills. He was told by his district manager that he was not going to give him permission to go to his daughter's wedding unless his numbers were up to 2 digjt. That was the end of it for him. Since he left about 4-5 people went out the door with him. It is hard in this day and age to get less money at a new job but I told my husband I would rather have him alive and be poor.
  • Awful

This show SUCKS. Jane Curtain can do a better job at "looking out" for me than these clowns and bozos. I'm not even sure why this program is even on the air in the first place. Anyone who claims to look out for me, the consumer, usually has some ulterior motive and hidden agenda and is interfering in my ability to think for myself. What makes these bozos so important anyway?
  • Undercover

I think the show is GREAT, and I'd like to see you do an episode on hiring disabled persons, as I'm one, with epilepsy, and as soon as the employer finds out, you're out the door as fast (and any way) possible, including before being hired, even if MORE qualified for the job!! Also, what about the head of the Republican party (McConnell) comment of age discrimination on Hillary Clinton & Joe Biden!? This is discrimination, just like the "n-word" a TV host used & got fired, and since this person is supposed to represent the voters, they shouldn't be in office. Walker, of Wisconsin, used this attack, too!!
  • The Lookout excercised extreme stupidity in using ablown fuse on their 'mechanics' piece!

I have been an auto technician for almost 30 years. I am a Senior Master Technician, Hybrid Technician, and an SVT technician for Ford Motor Company. I have also taught automotive classes. So I know a little bit about what I am talking about when it comes to the piece on fraudulant auto First of all, I despise the term mechanic. Goober Pyle was a "mechanic on the Andy Griffith Show. That was fine in the 1960's. But today, mechanics work at WalMart and change oil. The cars we have now are rolling computer networks and it takes a actual technician, not a mechanic, to diagnose and repair them. So, get it right ABC.

Now, let's talk about the bug induced on the Escape, the blown fuse. Another network did a similar bug on a car involving a blown fuse, and that INFURIATED me! The absolute worst, stupidest way you can bug a car is to plant a blown fuse! A blown fuse is NOT a 50 cent fix! Fuses are there for a reason. They blow when there is an electrical short. They are there to prevent possible further damage if a short occurs. So odds are, a blown fuse means there is an electrical short that blew that fuse. And when a fuse is replaced and everything works, guess what? You have the mother of all problems. The single most time intensive and diagnostically invasive problem you can possibly have. You have an intermittant short!

The first guy who simply replaced the fuse and sent the car on it's way was setting up the driver for a potential catastrophy because the next time the short manifests itself and blows the fuse again could be right in the middle of a rain storm. I would bet the farm that the guy who replaced the fuse and sent the car out at no charge was NOT doing an act of charity. I would bet that it was an act of self preservation. I can guarantee that he knew exactly what sort of headache a blown fuse with no obvious "hard fault" short was going to likely lead to. He knew that in order to find that short, he would have the dash out, half the dash wiring unraveled, hours and hours of intensive labor involved, and still may not find his needle in a haystack. So, in that case, the best way to save himself is to stick a fuse in it and put no charge on the ticket so that the ticket can be voided, thus eliminating a paper trail. That way when the customer comes back with a blown fuse again, the shop can say, "sorry, we have no record of you, are you sure it was this Goodyear?" As far as that shop is concerned, that car never existed. That further demonstrates the level of absurdity of this whole 'blown fuse' scenario. If you want to catch crooks, you do NOT use a blown fuse to do it. STUPID!

The second guy who claimed he would do a wiring repair was a HUGE idiot! If he claimed to do ANY repair at all, then the same senerio occurs where the real short manifests itself and the wipers go out, he is in big trouble. I have no problem with busting the second guy, because he is an idiot.

But the biggest problem was the WHOLE SENARIO! A blown fuse is an absolutely STUPID way to bug a car.

In any of my many hands on factory training classes with Ford, Chrysler, and Mazda, if an instructor used a blown fuse to bug a car in his training class, and the manufacturer found out about it, he would be fired!

A blown fuse is NOT the problem! This expert that ABC used should know this. The only explanation I have is that she is unfamiliar with the S-S-C-C diagnostic process. Symptom, System, Cause, Correction. Why on EARTH would she use a blown fuse? A blown fuse is NOT a cause or correction in the S-S-C-C process. Since a blown fuse leads to another cause, which is a short, a blown fuse is actually part of the symptom stage of the diagnostic process, which leads to a system. The system is whatever electrical systems are connected to that fuse which could be several electrical components on the vehicle, not just the wiper motor system. So, if a technician finds a blown fuse on a system that is critical to occupant safety such as a wiper motor system and just replaces it without doing anything else, that guy should be fired!

The correct way to handle a situation where a blown fuse is found with no other obvious issue, then the technician and service adviser need to sit down with the customer and have a discussion about intermittent electrical shorts and what can happen in the future when it occurs again. the customer should then be given the option to either take the car as it is or authorize additional diagnostic time to attempt to locate the cause of the intermittent short. That is why the person who decided a blown fuse would be a good scenario has no idea what they are doing. That is a HORRIBLE bug to put on a car!

A much better senerio would have been to unseat the wiper motor or the wiper switch connector just enough to create an issue. That way the S-S-C-C ends right there at the loose connection. But if we are so in love with a fuse as a bug, then remove the fuse altogether. If you remove the fuse, then your S-S-C-C will go like this: Sympton-Wipers inop,found missing fuse. System-Wiper motor electrical system. Cause-Upon speaking with the customer, found that they borrowed fuse to replace blown cig lighter fuse when their radar detector blew the cig fuse. Correction- Replace fuse. The S-S-C-C ends right there at that point.

• Mechanics will always think women are stupid about their car.

ever think I'm stupid or dumb about my have many male friends that I KNOW that can tell me what the problem is, they just don't actually work on cars. have friends that do work on cars, just not in a prefer to get ALL of the labor $$ instead of giving it to the company. Those are the ones I trust because I refer other people to them and I keep coming back to give them have an old car and they know that. But really, I think a newer used car is needed soon.

• Goodyear Badyear

Everytime I ever went to the Goodyear Store to get work done they tried to tell me I needed an extra 3-500 dollars more work for something completely different than what I came in for. Learned my lesson and found a reputable mechanic. Goodyear in Gainesville Virginia is a big rip off!
  • Episod is about dysfunction more cleanliness

I can appreciate the information provided about the lack of proper cleanliness in restaurants, theme park type attractions, hotels, however this has all been done before. I'm more unnerved by the family you chose to take part in this with ABC's crew, and this mother has some issues that she needs to have addressed. Mental illnesses such as an obsessive compulsiveness like this will cripple her from having a normal life free of phobias, and are potentially damaging to her children growing up. I may have behooved ABC more to have an average family free of obsessions & fears.
  • it's an AWESOME show

I just wish they would do a show on the plumbing in Amarillo, Texas, I'm getting charged an arm and a leg for people to come out and do some plumbing for me!!
  • Loose Cynthia Cynthia! Timeshare a good deal? Wow

just lost me as a viewer.....

Disappointed in episode on vacation usual it's not full disclosure. What kind of idiot are these producers? do they even understand or know anything about the travel industry? bargain for more money with the refrigerator etc was actually a timeshare property! Jennifer Garfinkel MUST know that so why not disclose they stayed in a timeshare condo the last night???!!!

Shocker a timeshare property is featured as a better value than cheap Caribbean vacation all inclusives then not give timeshare a GOOD plunge for a ARE some good ones but as usual you get what you pay for but, people just wanna complain. Come on guys you can do better than loosing Cynthia so plastic and might boost the plugging comes off as a show plugging these businesses.

Industry Sales Veteran
  • Misleading indeed

ABC will need another show to correct all of the failures for the Puerto Vallarta jaded "reporting" What a joke! Whoever prepared that, was obviously not enjoying his five senses when sent here on a paid assignment and maybe even took $ome extra to butcher the facts to risible conclusions, please remove that person, team or get rid of the program altogether if you want to remain credible. Disgusting!
  • Bad Mother, Germaphobe

I liked the section on the trip to Mexico, But they could have mention to get advice from a travel anent . That has ALWAYS worked for us. I know the show tries to sensationalize the story by making travel look like it's the luck of the draw, but it's not. The story on the family with the Germaphobe mother is a bit disturbing not because of the germs, but the mother. The mother is likely to past on to her children some if not all her phobia of germs. Exposure to germs as a child is very important to develop a strong immune system. If this TV program is meant to be informative, then maybe some balance and some solutions would round out the story nicely. Overall I liked the program and will continual to watch, but for now maybe 50 percent "like/dislike"
  • A biased hachet job

The reporter singled out ONE small resort in the town of Puerto Vallarta and tried to paint the entire town with the same brush. And then, heaped praise on a town (Bucerias) just a few miles away.

Talk about jaded reporting. This team, including its management, should have their credentials revoked.

• Misinformed

1.5
    Wow. I have never seen a more misleading program on Mexico! Why would you compare a budget all-inclusive hotel to a much more expensive hotel?? What a disservice to your viewers. Who chose these hotels?? What a crock.
  • Travel Agent Failed

The travel agent must be ignorant of the excellent resorts in Puerto Vallarta. The Chrystal on your

show has been down for a few others are excellent and the city has much more

to offer than the isolated resorts further north in Nayarit. What about an investigation to see if

Nayarit or the resort there paid the travel agent, abc, or whomsoever for the coverage?? 20/20

might handle that more credibly.
  • All inclusive resorts

Truly, not all inclusive resorts are the same. The Kystal is not rated very highly. Did you look into ratings or reviews before booking? Your comparison to the four diamond La Estancia was like comparing apples to oranges. There are some wonderful all inclusive resorts in Mexico. It might have been worth your while to consult a travel agent who specializes in selling all inclusives The agents in our agency visit many many all inclusives annually in Mexico and the Caribbean. We specialize and advise our clients with first hand knowledge. Next time, trust an agent, not the internet.
  • Germ-a-phobic mom should worry more about seatbelt safety

I just watched your episode on the germs during the family vacation that featured a mother afraid of germs. While I totally understand her fears and they are real, the video clips of her children riding in the van during the road trip were more concerning to me than the germs. She had one child that was seen frequently not wearing a lap and shoulder belt (the belt looked to be behind the child's back). Being a car seat tech, this is a pet peeve of mine and should be educated to families. A seat belt not worn correctly will not protect a child in a crash. Every person in the vehicle should be properly wearing a lap and shoulder belt or appropriate car seat. Unintentional injuries, such as car accidents, are the leading cause of death for children. A child is more likely to suffer a serious injury from a crash than a serious illness from germs. I know this is completely a side track from the theme of the episode. But, viewing unsafe travel of children in the media really bothers me.
  • Sheets

3.5
    They forgot to talk about Egyptian cotton and satin sheen. You have to be undressed to test sheets. Most good sheets need washing 3 times before you put them on the bed. King size sheet come in different sizes. If you don't read the package you may get short sheeted. HA HA
  • The Lookout

This is regarding the ABC's The Lookout.

I am very upset about the way the show portrayed the companies. I believe there should have been SOME TYPE OF DISCLOSURE, that while, yes, this may happen, that BY NO MEANS ARE ALL TV SHOPS, ETC. this way. Perhaps recommend that consumers ask friends or family members for recommendations. We have been in the television/repair business for over 40 years, and feel that this was an insulting representation! We take great pride in our work and honesty is key!
  • the lookout

I thought your segment on sheet thread counts was poorly represented. All the people testing the sheets were dressed from head to toe. Most people sleep in there underwear or nothing at all. I waited all week for the program because I am having a terrible time finding good, comfortable sheets. I have purchased 400 ct - 750 ct. So far the 750 ct is the best. Your report did not mention anything concerning wrinkling. I would have enjoyed hearing more information from the expert and not from "testers" fully clothed. Just my thoughts. Magie
  • Love gotcha dirt bags shows

Cool they are busting real sleaze bags in their own game .. Suck it , rip off artists!!
< 1 2