Accidentally on Purpose

CBS (ended 2010)

i5star

Accidentally on Purpose Fan Reviews (9)

6.9
  • Fling between an older woman and a younger man results in pregnancy and a somewhat awkward roommate situation, kept hilarious with the help of their respective posses. Really good characters and dialogue move this cute show along. Funny and entertaining.

Accidentally on Purpose has a great cast capable of bringing its clever dialogue to life. If the show can make it past its freshman season, I can see plenty of entertaining plot options that can grow out of the secondary characters and their varied situations. Of course, Zack's best friend, Slacker Davis, is the obvious first break-out character. Nic Wright plays him with perfect timing. But Lennon Parham as Billie's sister also has the chops to become a major force in the storyline. What deep talent AOP has!

The producers are taking a gamble, I think, by throwing so many scenes and story-lines into these early shows. (Not to mention the recap every week might be a tad long.) Yes, it keeps the show moving and fresh, but it may end up being a problem when it comes to developing loyal core viewers. AOP is, after all, about the accidental pregnancy that brings an older woman and younger man together. I hope we see their relationship begin to grow more distinct or solid or definable soon. It can always change mood, intensity, etc., later, but it has to BE something first. And soon.

Even if it's a Luke/Lorelei "only friends, apparently" kind of relationship, I think it has to be more central to every episode. It's the A story and requires Billie and Zack have more direct interaction. I won't complain! All that said, I do love the show and hope we get lots more of AOP's superb comic acting, contrasting sweet seriousness, and all-around great writing!
  • its really funny

most of all the lines are funny , they are not the usual stupid lines , even thow every year shows about pregnancy fail , maybe this one wont . and young actor is ok , ive seen him mostly in teens show and Jenna Elfman is best known for playing the free-spirited hippie yoga instructor Dharma on "Dharma & Greg." She stars in the upcoming CBS sitcom "Accidentally on Purpose," based on the true story of a movie critic who becomes pregnant after a one-night stand with a much younger man. and she said Nothing. I could have picked Colorado. Zimbabwe. Anywhere but here. It was just so frustrating. I was really working hard and putting a lot of time and energy and commitment into this and then having nothing come of different projects. It was like a second puberty almost.
  • A good first impression

I´d like to start commenting the title and use of the line in the episode "Was it maybe accidentally on purpose?". I believe that line pretty much sumarizes the idea of the storyline. Some people pointed out that it´s an "old plot" and that it´s kind of worn out by now. I don´t agree. I believe that nowadays this idea of women around 30, almost 40, single, and striving to have a carreer but at the same time missing marriage, pregnancy, etc, is something new and contemporary. It has never been so hard before... I don´t even think that 15 years ago it was so "empowering" dating younger man. It used to be "desperate" and women would be considered imature or ridicule... bla bla bla I laughed a lot. I don´t think married people or teenagers will enjoy this show as much as people like me who totally identify with the premisse. Good characters and good performances. Fun. Funny. Light. Creamy... A fresh touch to "something that we feel we have seen already".
  • jon foster is the best thing about this show

i kind of like this show and watch it every week. mostly cause of jon foster. he was great in "life as we know it" and there is just something about him. the show is light and fluffy and a good distraction. sure the writing could be better and the acting just doesn't seem right somehow, but while most of my shows on my dvr are a full commitment that i HAVE to watch every week, this show is a refreshing break. something not to become invested in cause unfortunately it probably wont last. its a good concept and it has potential.
  • Despite Jenna Elfman's trademark over-the-top acting, Accidentally on Purpose starts of well.

Despite Jenna Elfman's trademark over-the-top acting, Accidentally on Purpose starts of well. Since I last watched him in Life as We Know It, Jon Foster surprised me with his comedic skills and portrayal of an irresistible 20-something in this show. His role was the reason why I decided to watch the second episode, and making me look forward to the next. The supporting roles gel the whole show together. Ashley Jensen is a refreshing addition, with a role more suited to her than her former Ugly Betty role. Then Nicholas Wright who plays Davis provides the wisecracks that liven up every scene he's part of. I hope they get to maintain the consistently upbeat mood of the show and develop the characters and relationships, so as to keep us from changing the channel.
  • An accident waiting to happen...

7.6
    What's It About?: Billie gets knocked up after a one night stand with a much younger guy named Zack. She decides to keep the baby and invites Zack to move in with her.

While the premise isn't all that fresh and sounds a lot like Knocked Up (Seth Rogen, Katherine Heigl), the pilot script elicited a few laughs from me, no louder than the ones on the laugh track. Jenna Elfman (Dharma & Greg) is her usual quirky self. Ashley Jensen is the bright spot on the show as Jenna's best friend and reminds me of Melissa McCarthy's character on Samantha Who? Zack's buddies were alright. They didn't do much except play video games, drink beer, and use the urn of Billie's grandma as a smoking device.

Verdict: It's a far cry from Samantha Who? And It doesn't seem to offer something new. I also don't expect the show to last that long, unless it consistently benefits from being part of CBS' solid comedy Monday block.
  • Hilarious show, right up there with How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory on the hilariouscale.

This show is funny. In days when '2½ men' is considered funny, this is something completely new. It's witty with a classic story (boy meets girl) displayed in a way that has never been displayed before.

The characters in the show is brilliant - each one of them, though especially Billie (played by Jenna Elfman) that is so uplifting I'd recommend each depressed person to watch an episode of this show.

Uplifting is also the best way to describe this show. I truly hope it's here to stay for many seasons, now that other hilarious shows (such as How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory) are getting somewhat old.
  • Mildly funny despite annoying laugh track. Almost able to block the impending shark looming in the future. Can Jenna stop from jumping the shark? Who can tell...

I like Jenna, I liked her in Dharma and Greg. I like her acting in movies. I like her dancing. Okay, I like Jenna. I do not like laugh tracks, especially when there is nothing laughable. The show was funny - mildly funny. The strident laugh track didn't enhance it. In fact, it became counterpoint to the actual thin humor.

Hint to show producers: cut 12 dB from the laugh track. A mirthful light background is more suitable than BlArInG It In OuR EaRs.

(Shouting : "it's funny" does not make it funny. Try playing the laugh track in reverse - that may be better.)

The show's pilot episode set up some interesting relationships - the old love, the new boy toy, the gang of misfits in tow. Will they be sufficient to boost this past the imminent shark jump (cancellation) ?

I would hope so for Jenna's sake. In any event, we "know" that season two (or sooner) will feature a BABY. And a BABY is always a draw for women viewers.
  • Where's the funny?

2.5
    Good God! I actually started missing Dharma and Greg! I laugh pretty easily and am not very discriminating when it comes to comedy. All I want is funny. After watching the pilot of this over-cooked sitcom, I'm still waiting...

I like Jenna Elfman so I had high hopes for this show, but what a disappointment. It might have been made worse by the fact that the surrounding shows in the lineup are superior in their comedy schtick. The show might seem funnier if it was playing before and/or after "Hope and Faith" or "Welcome to the Captain"... I know they are off the air, that's why I chose them