Action

FOX (ended 1999)

Action Fan Reviews (12)

• Best satire on Hollywood ever made in any medium.

There has never been a show like this and I don't think there ever will be again. Must be seen to be believed, and even then it's hard to believe that the powers-that-be allowed it to be aired. Amazing writing, biting wit, and wry delivery by Jay Mohr and Illeana Douglas gave us a rare jewel of a show. Gut-busting, on-the-mark satire from beginning to end, including some amazing self-parody by the likes of Keanu Reeves, Sandra Bullock and Salma Hayak.
  • One of the funniest shows ever.

One of the funniest shows ever. Politically incorrect in many ways, offending anybody they could, but Hollywood was its main target. I have seen it several times here in Korea, where it plays in regular rotation. They show the unedited versions, with the cussing intact, not the bleeps seen on American TV. Good stuff.
  • Action is an excellent show. it is far better than any of todays shows.i wish that someone would put the series out on good quality dvds. i am certain that many individuals would buy the dvds.much junk shows areon dvds--why can't a quality showlike this o

Action is an excellent show. it is far better than any of todays shows.i wish that someone would put the series out on good quality dvds. i am certain that many individuals would buy the dvds.much junk shows areon dvds--why can't a quality showlike this one be on dvds?? thanks for the space tosay thesefew words.
  • one of the funniest shows ever

It's really a shame this show had such a short life, it was just great. I could not stop laughing during each episode. Peter Dragon was a real sob, the kind you'd just love until you met him. It was a sad day for the industry of enterteinmet when this show got cancelled
  • A treasure too good and true for this world.

This viciously funny show should have been required vewing for any kid who ever told their parents they dreamed of going into "show biz." The performances, writing and directing were surgically precise as they vivisected the bloated, diseased body of the modern entertainment industry.
    If this series ever comes out on DVD be prepared to back over your grandmother to get it.
    It's what Peter Dragon would have wanted.
  • Great News!!!

"Action" is coming to DVD on February 21, 2006!!!

This comes straight from the star himself, Jay Mohr, via email. He also does a weekly column on Sports Illustrated's website, si.com, for his true fans. Also, to sign up for his newsletter, check out JayMohr.com.

And there was much rejoicing. :)
  • Tell me Whyyyy? Why Did they took it from the air?

Funny as a really funny show (yeah, not the best expresion but accurate).
    Jay Mohr is hilarious and this show is a clear proof of that.
    It had the oddest characters, presented in a Seinfeld-esque way (although they weren't in an ordinary life situacion but the characters were complitely bizarre but believable at the same time (you could see them as people).
    Anyways what I'm saying is: Why Did They Took If Off? One of the great ones that didn't make it.
  • Funniest show ever!!!

Why oh why does FOX always cancel the their best shows before they have a chance to gain an audience?? Maybe because Action was far ahead of it's time but it was & still is the funniest live comedy show ever to hit the tv set. Jah Mohr was freaking rude, crude and so damn hilarious and his sidekick whore omg she was the bomb not too mention all the amazing guest stars! This show was never even given a chance and so badly deserves a second look if not on Fox, HBO or another cable network should pick it up it will surely be a hit today! Bring back action!
  • Thank god bootlegs exist.

This was, bar none, the best show I've ever seen. Unfortunately, the powers that be in Hollywood must think it hits a little too close to home, because this series has been blacklisted, and the studio has no plans to ever let this series see the light of day on DVD.

That's fine. There are countless sources of bootlegs out there for this. I'm on my third copy.

Brilliant satire and a biting episodes make this show one of the best you'll never have the opportunity to see.
  • I cried when this masterpiece was 86ed! Yes,masterpiece!One of my top ten fav. shows of all time!Dripping with irony,saturated with analytical,poignant humour,Action combined superb writing,casting,and acting(a true niche for Jay Mohr) to produce a come

I cried when this masterpiece was 86ed! Yes,masterpiece!One of my top ten fav. shows of all time!Dripping with irony,saturated with analytical,poignant humour,Action combined superb writing,casting,and acting(a true niche for Jay Mohr) to produce a comedic,cutting edge view of Hollywood.
    Hooker's,homo's,rehab,whacko's,pimps,drug,gangster's,and all imaginable wierdness and perversion,along with some excellent cameo's,kept Action fast paced,as well as courageously funny.
    That Action made it on to conventional television at all remains a source of amazement.Perfectly suited for late night cable,Action might have lived longer,but sadly,suffered the same sad fate as the simmilar Fat Actress,also brilliant and daring.Other ,similar,quality shows spoofing telvision and Hollywood are (were)Larry Sanders and Beggers and Choosers,but Action was the hardest hitting,and remains my fav......Please bring it back,and while you're at it......Sledgehammer......

• You should have watched this show.

A great show that was the unfortunate victim of a bad timeslot. Fox made the poor choice of trying to use this show to lure viewers away from the juggernaut that was NBC's Thursday night Must See TV lineup. Instead of building up an audience in a reasonable timeslot and then trying to put it up against something already established, it got the ax for not performing well enough in an impossible situation. A great show that deserved a much better fate.
  • Action was a great sitcom, but it came before its time. Outrageous every step of the way but filled with pathos nonetheless, it elicited great acting from a frenzied Jay Mohr and managed to have a hooker-with-a-heart-of-gold that transcended the cliche.

Since it was canceled, Action can now be watched as a sort of mini-series. And it *should* be watched.