Adam-12

NBC (ended 1975)

bleech224

Adam-12 Fan Reviews (19)

• Reply to RaymondMartin6

The episode you are looking for is called, Bank Robbery, season 2, episode 24.
  • Changed everything

Cop shows are as much a part of television as college football and 60 Minutes. In the old days, the shows were pretty dopey, without any realistic view of life as a police office. Plenty of action, but about as realistic as a flying nun. "Adam 12" changed everything. Jack Webb started with "Dragnet" to bring knowledge of real police procedure into the mix, but "Adam 12" was a huge step, as we rode along through life in the car with typical (though excellent) cops. The show was consistently well-written, some of the stories could be kind of silly, and like anything Jack Webb touched it had a touch of preachiness, sometimes a very heavy touch. But for the most part the stories were compelling, and unlike "Dragnet" the show had a very relaxed sense of humor.

We get touches of real life--we meet "Jean," Reed's wife, and even get to enjoy the birth of his son. And we get a girlfriend or two for "The Strawberry There are minor characters, from other cops (most notably Sgt. McDonald) to street characters like the informant but for the most part the whole deal is just Pete and Jim, the black and white, and the people they encounter during their day whether helping victims or busting crooks.

The show was very cutting edge, had a unique view on how to cover police work. If you enjoy the "CSI" shows, the outstanding "Hill Steet Blues", "NYPD Blue" or any other really strong television based upon police work, you need badly to go back and find "Adam

The show can be a bit is, especially in the early episodes, a ridiculous view towards marijuana use and the political activism of the day. From a guy who wants to blow up a college and a group that's a take-off on the Black Panthers in an episode that J. Edgar Hoover would have loved to a long string of preposterous Hollywood fake "hippies," it's an unintentionally hilarious view of how "straights" viewed the counterculture of the day.

But there are also some really excellent story lines about drugs, from a young friend of Reed's who gets into a pill party with ugly results in Season 3 to the spectacular story line of the final 2 eps, it's extremely well done.

And perhaps the best part of the show is the simplest, not about police work but simply the relationship between two good friends whose positions mean trusting one another with their lives. You end up wishing you had a friend like that at your side when you faced your scariest moment.

Yeah, I can pick on get a hoot out of making fun of the phony hippies and Jack Webb's temperance lectures about how people who smoke grass on Tuesday will be shooting heroin by the weekend, it's not nearly as racially diverse as you'd like and some of the black characters are bad for being 1971 it's as good as TV gets.

And finally, it's a neat piece of cultural history, if you're a kid of the late 60s early 70s like me, and you're either from SoCal or interested in it, you'll love the show. Mentions of the Rams, a kid with a Dodgers cap, Travel Town and Griffith Park. It's not Hollywood, it's REAL the beauty and problems of it.

I watched these as a kid, and about once a year find myself meeting young Jim Reed as he encounters his first day with veteran Pete Malloy and start my run through the 7 seasons of "Adam 12" on Netflix all over again. I've seen them all a dozen times, and they never really get old. One of my favorites!
  • Best cops show!

Adam 12 is one of the most entertaining TV series I've seen in the television history! I love the action scenes and the story itself as being realistic in life of a policeman. The whole casts of this show is also great. I have not much time to catch the re-runs so I purchased one at memorylanedvd . com which supplied me wonderful DVD set with great picture and sound quality, so I can watch it during weekends! Adam 12 is truly one of the best cop show aired on the television!
  • kkkkkkkkkooooooooooooo

k;;;;;;;;;;;;;ooooooooo88888888888888888888888888
  • Adam-12 , What a Excellent Police Show

I watched all 7 seasons and enjoyed it very much.

pete
  • Huge suspect attempt to fight off Malloy and Reed

Malloy and Reed get tossed around by a huge suspect as the officers attempt to cuff him. After an exhausting struggle the officers are able to subdue him. Can anyone recall this episode's title.
  • I love the film shots of L.A.

I didn't watch the show as a kid because it was too technical. I recently rediscovered all 7 seasons. I really love this show, particularly the shots of L.A. The police cruiser takes you through all parts of L.A. in the 70's--the beach, the mountains, the streets and the parks. The show is very authentic and makes me appreciate what the police go through from the tedious paperwork, legal technicalities, to dealing with social breakdown and extreme violence. I also think Officer Malloy is really hot. I just don't get how he wound up with Helen Crump in the last season.
  • Another Brilliant Jack Webb Production

I've watched almost every show in the series at least twice and in one sense this series is timeless. Sure police techniques have changed some and there's a dizzying array of technology that wasn't around when the show was filmed, but at the end of the day, a police officer is sworn to protect and serve.

I think Adam-12 is such a great program because we see so many different aspects of police work and some terrific interactions between police and both criminals and victims. They are stern and use force when necessary and are equally capable of extending compassion and empathy when needed. We see both professional and personal bonds between Malloy and Reed. In addition to being partners, Malloy is Reed's son's godfather and they help each other out in life when they can.

I have a deep respect for our police force and all first responders. I think the police especially have a thankless job with some people just waiting to pounce on any small mistake an officer makes. I am happy to see police cars on the road and to know that they are on the job protecting us. Adam-12 gives us inside look and, I think, the opportunity to better understand and be truly grateful for the men and women that put their lives on the line so that we can live ours in peace and freedom.
  • I just spent an entire weekend over the Christmas break, watching the DVD's of the first two seasons of Adam 12.

I was but a "young-un" when this show was on the air, but I loved it and then and I love it now. I do recall it making me want to be a cop myself, back in the days when, in reality, a female cop was only good enough to answer phones! Needless to say, if I could not be in a car with "Pete Malloy" I did not want the job!
    Watching then, I was certain I was seeing the "real thing". Watching now, it still seems relevant in the stories portrayed, but its almost as much fun looking at the cars parked on the streets, and egads(!), the clothes we wore, and I swear to the world I NEVER said the word "groovy"!
    Two street cops with no cell phones, no semi automatic pistols, SWAT was a novel possibility and someone had just had the bright idea that a helicopter might be a great aid to the policeman on the ground! And still, the job got done...imagine that...
    I can't wait for the remaining five seasons to be released. Adam 12 is proof positive you CAN go back!
  • One of the coolest shows that I have ever watched.

Adam 12 is just so amazing. Watching what police officers do is just so exciting, there aren't many words that I can say that could describe how good this show is. I still watch it any time that I get, can't wait till they put it on DVD. The pairing of Martin and Kent is really good, funny, and just plain good to watch. Jack Webb really caught the big picture of what the police department really is and what they really do, I think that's why a friend of mine wants to join the police department. Well thanks for reading my rambilings, God bless!
  • Definitely a "Webb" production. Great pairing of characters and good story lines...

Definitely a "Webb" production. Great pairing of characters and good story lines still provide entertainment today. Even though technology has changed the basic premise is still applicable. Martin Milner and Kent McCord bring to life two very compelling characters throughout the series run that draw you in with drama and humor. Well written storylines and good acting allow this series to provide an inside look into the daily activities of two police officers. Even though the era was late 60's early 70's they still ring true today.

Highly recommend
  • Adam-12 follows the life of two LA cops through their daily routines and not so routine days. Adam 12 is based on actual events and produced by Jack Webb the creator and star of Dragnet.

Officers Pete Maloy (Martin Milner) and Jim Reed (Kent McCord) star as two LAPD beat cops making their way through the daily ins and outs of police work. The first episode introduces the character. Jim Reed is a recent graduate of the police academy and Pete Maloy the vetran cop. They are at first don't get along because Maloy is convinced that Reed will get them both killed. But evetually the two become friends. As the series progressed the subject matter reflected the times and issues of the day. Taken from real incidents by Los Angeles police officers giving the show a sense of realism. As a child I remember watching this show with my parents and wanting to be like the men in the show. It made me have a deep respect for the police and all the things they have to go through.
  • The Beginning of the Modern Police Series

This was and still is one of the best if somewhat dated cop shows to be seen in the history of TV. Martin Milner ("13 Ghosts") and Kent McCord are two very likeable guys who just have a job as they show us the real life of being a police officer and its responsibilites. They also show us just how idiotic criminals and law breakers really are in an age before criminals, gang members and drug-pushers became comic material for shows like "Unsolved Mysteries," "America's Most Wanted" and "World's Strangest Police Chases.". A perfect example is how the officers will go to bust a guy who just robbed a bank. "The car's stolen," Reed says, "The guy just got out on good behavior." They chase the guy down, pin the cuffs on him and the idiot screams, "I'm not going back !" You have to wonder why the idiot broke the law in the first place if he doesn't want to go back. Wouldn't the logical thing would be to go straight ? Maybe that's what makes this show so fascinating is that it's a study of human behavior through the eyes of the police. This series was the original for so many modern police show dramas as well as the modern police reality shows. The only thing we have close to "Adam 12" today is probably "Cops" and to a lesser extent, "Police Videos," but like too often, it's the original that is superior.
  • A great cop show from the 70's.

A great cop show from the 70's. This show was from the same people that did Emergency and Dragnet. The show stared Martin Milner as Officer Pete Malloy and Kent McCord as Officer Jim Reed. They based the show on actual crimes to give the show a real feel. There are several classic episodes that I will always remember. The kid who got his head stuck in a fence and they had to get grease to put on his ears so that his head could slip out. Another is when Pete is trapped by a gang of motorcyclists and Reed and company have to save him.
  • I can see how some people say that there are problems with Adam-12 but I personally think that it is still very enjoyable.

I can see how some people say that there are problems with Adam-12 but I personally think that it is still very enjoyable. It's nowhere near some of the other shows that I've watched lately but it's just because those were particularly good not that Adam-12 was particularly bad. Recommended if you have time to spare.
  • Excellent show!

This is a wonderful show, The very first episode, originally airing on 9/21/68, was a classic. Pete Malloy is disgruntled and about to quit the force after his patrol partner's death in a warehouse shooting, and is assigned rookie cop Jim Reed, age 23 and fresh out of the LA police academy. That first day, the officers break up a fight between two men over a lady on the street, then they chase two robbers in a big 1959 Buick four-door that crashes and burns in a canal confluence - this is a breathtaking sequence - that Buick is HUGE with the big canted fins! Malloy finishes his day by giving mouth to mouth to an infant who had stopped breathing. All in a day's work! A portent of good things to come over the next seven years. Watch it, get videos - you won't regret it!
    Thank TvLand.
  • Adam 12 is a classic display of good old police work with a funny and entertaing twist. As you follow these two police officers on their daily routine you gain a new respect for good old police work.

When I was younger I used to sit with my grandfather and watch TV Land. There were always certain shows he liked to watch and Adam 12 was one of them. I basically grew up with the old police force. Now as a teenager living in the age of technology I have gained a new found respect for those hardworking co0ps. I am now less likely to say that an older person doesn't know what I am going through because i don't know how it was for them growing up.
  • A realistic drama following two Los Angeles Police Department officers.

This is one of those shows that was around long, long before I was born. I stubmled across it on one of the "classics" channels and was immediately hooked on the exciting yet down-to-Earth drama it featured.

The show follows veteran officer Pete Malloy who is bitter and shaken after his ex-partner's death in a warehouse shooting. He is teamed with rookie officer Jim Reed and together they tackle the issues of the big city of Los Angeles. From bank heists to street gang warfare, the duo see their fair share of action over the seven years the show spanned.

In conclusion, Adam-12 is a realistic show that fans of the genre will definitely enjoy, despite the show being over 30 years old.
  • Good