Adventure Time Forums

Cartoon Network

Why do people like this?

Do you like Adventure Time?

Southparkfa

[21]Jul 22, 2010
    • level: 18

Being random is ok, in my opinion, only if it can be funny, and I've seen enough episodes to know that this is destroying funny. The humor's gross, last night I was watching them save a princess and they made jake's butt look like the princess, and then he yelled "haha, you just kissed Jake's butt" Not. Funny. And the animation sucks, there's no originality, and the character's are cliched and stupid. That's all fo rmy mini-rant

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

rachelnyc

[23]Jul 29, 2010
    • level: 1

I think it's just a matter of taste. If you've seen the show and don't like it, I don't think anyone can give you a reason that's going to change your mind.

I personally think it's hilarious and really original because the characters are new and unique. I think in general 's the characters that make a show, not the circumstances. Think about it: kids in a school, superheroes, aliens, spies, people with magical powers, etc... most shows revolve around circumstances that are seen over and over, it's the individual characters that are different (and, hopefully, interesting). Batman and Kim Possible are both based around "normal" people who save the world with the help of gadgets, technology & some awesome combat skills, but other than the fact that they have a similar premise on paper, those shows are nothing alike.

Adventure Time reminds me a lot of Spongebob in the sense that it's extremely character-driven. In most Spongebob episodes they're doing something incredibly trivial (or otherwise something that could be considered very cliché), but it's the WAY they do it that's funny. This show is the same way. Finn & Jake have interesting and weird ways of responding to their circumstances and surroundings, and I think there's a brilliant subtely and stream-of-consciouness feeling about the show. Yeah, it's nuts. And maybe it seems like anyone could write it, but I don't think that's true. It reminds me of Flight of the Conchords in the sense that it's obvious a lot of effort goes on behind the scenes to present something that seems to simple and delightfully ridiculous (vs. just stupid). I think the show has a really interesting and roundabout way of making some pretty spot-on observations about the world (Business Time comes to mind in particular). Anyway, I watch a lot of cartoons, and I think Adventure Time is really refreshing. It has a zaniness about it that the old classic cartoons used to have (I'm talking about really old stuff, not like from the 80's or 90's). . .

Southparkfa

[26]Aug 1, 2010

rachelnyc wrote:

I think it's just a matter of taste. If you've seen the show and don't like it, I don't think anyone can give you a reason that's going to change your mind.

I personally think it's hilarious and really original because the characters are new and unique. I think in general 's the characters that make a show, not the circumstances. Think about it: kids in a school, superheroes, aliens, spies, people with magical powers, etc... most shows revolve around circumstances that are seen over and over, it's the individual characters that are different (and, hopefully, interesting). Batman and Kim Possible are both based around "normal" people who save the world with the help of gadgets, technology & some awesome combat skills, but other than the fact that they have a similar premise on paper, those shows are nothing alike.

Adventure Time reminds me a lot of Spongebob in the sense that it's extremely character-driven. In most Spongebob episodes they're doing something incredibly trivial (or otherwise something that could be considered very cliché), but it's the WAY they do it that's funny. This show is the same way. Finn & Jake have interesting and weird ways of responding to their circumstances and surroundings, and I think there's a brilliant subtely and stream-of-consciouness feeling about the show. Yeah, it's nuts. And maybe it seems like anyone could write it, but I don't think that's true. It reminds me of Flight of the Conchords in the sense that it's obvious a lot of effort goes on behind the scenes to present something that seems to simple and delightfully ridiculous (vs. just stupid). I think the show has a really interesting and roundabout way of making some pretty spot-on observations about the world (Business Time comes to mind in particular). Anyway, I watch a lot of cartoons, and I think Adventure Time is really refreshing. It has a zaniness about it that the old classic cartoons used to have (I'm talking about really old stuff, not like from the 80's or 90's). . .

I don't really agree with your stance on AT, but I do agree with you that opinions of the show are based on taste. I personally have no problem with people liking the show (the reasonI started this forum is because I wanted to know why everyone loved it and I didn't understand it) but I don't like people saying I'm wrong and then reporting me for it. I just don't care for that.

Safwhite

[28]Aug 3, 2010
    • level: 9

I don't know why I like this but I have a sneaking suspicion it's because CN has not done us right lately they hardly come out with ANY cartoons and when they finally make one they hype it up and make you want to watch it so you do. I don't know, I say I like it cuz it's there. Finally cartoon network makes a regular fun non-action cartoon just for fun and it is. And realistically to me it's more bearable than flapjack, and a thousand times better than the live action crap I'm waiting for to disappear.

DanielKhan1

[29]Aug 3, 2010
    • level: 2

First let me start by saying I love the show. I know you state its unoriginal, but I find it quite the opposite. It takes some original concepts, and twists them. The characters are so creative and unique, and the Land of Ooo is an amazing setting. The randomness is funny, although I agree it can be annoying at times, but it is definitely a huge part of the appeal.

Its similar to the other CN shows, chowder and flapjack, in that you have a boy, who has a mentor, who is not perfect and he lives in a world that is quite different from ours. He has to learn and overcome new challenges and meet some great characters along the way. Its a fantasy adventure show, and reminds me so much of "The Legend of Zelda" series. It has a lot of cliches, sure, princesses and swords and dungeons, but it takes those classic adventure stories and blends it with creativity and it ends up being a great, and IMO very unique show. Personally, one of my favorite shows on CN.

I really hope you watch a few more episodes before you make such a harsh judgement.

hh778

[30]Aug 4, 2010

I do have a right to pass judgement on this show because it is one of the reasons why Cartoon Network sucks today,this show Adventure Time should not have even made it this far because it don't have nothing that makes it stand out as being good and there isn't any good plots that makes it a good show,nowdays people like any stupid crap they see on tv,because that its just how stupid some people are mostly the stupid noob fans and this show its nothing more but crap,i hope this piece of crap show get cancelled soon because that would be the best move Cartoon Network ever made.

Edited on 08/04/2010 3:11am
    Edited 2 total times.

Skullduggery20

[31]Aug 5, 2010
    • level: 3

hh778 wrote:

I do have a right to pass judgement on this show because it is one of the reasons why Cartoon Network sucks today,this show Adventure Time should not have even made it this far because it don't have nothing that makes it stand out as being good and there isn't any good plots that makes it a good show,nowdays people like any stupid crap they see on tv,because that its just how stupid some people are mostly the stupid noob fans and this show its nothing more but crap,i hope this piece of crap show get cancelled soon because that would be the best move Cartoon Network ever made.

Stop using foul laungue and insults the series is getting great ratings and the short nearly got an award and reviews are perfect if this show get's canelled it will come back faster than familyguy.

Southparkfa

[32]Aug 5, 2010

I don't really see it's greatness. I mean it's humor is mostly gross and revolting, the characters are very unoriginal and unfunny, and to me it seems like it's just some way for cartoon network to say they haven't abandoned cartoons completely, when we all know they have.

Southparkfa

[35]Aug 6, 2010

TVdude3895 wrote:

I just wanna know, what's your favorite show?

My two personal favorites are The Simpsons and South Park

hh778

[36]Aug 6, 2010

I do like the Simpsons a whole lot and Family Guy its ok..

Edited on 08/06/2010 5:30pm

Southparkfa

[37]Aug 6, 2010

Recent Update: Due to the fact that this is a forum I started for Adventure TIme, I might as well mention the most recent Adventure Time news: It has been renewed for it's second season Cry

TVdude3895

[38]Aug 6, 2010
    • level: 14

Dude, 2 things:

1. If you hate the show so much, how come you're on this Forum?

2. Doesn't South Park have some "unusual" themes from time to time?

Edited on 08/06/2010 9:16pm

hh778

[39]Aug 7, 2010
    Well i do have a right to be on this forum and you need to deal with the fact that this show suck that is all to it.

Southparkfa

[40]Aug 7, 2010

TVdude3895 wrote:

Dude, 2 things:

1. If you hate the show so much, how come you're on this Forum?

2. Doesn't South Park have some "unusual" themes from time to time?

1. I made it so I could figure out WHY people liked this show, because I found to be terribly unfunny

2. Yes it does, but to compare South Park to Adventure Time is like comparing gold to rock, ie ridiculous, as South Park actually tries to have morals if you watch closely enough and usually doesn't gross me out with it's humor.