Adventure Time

Cartoon Network Premiered Apr 05, 2010 In Season

TVTome_Shadow

Adventure Time Fan Reviews (200)

7.7
  • This show is Mathmatical

At first, I didn't want to watch this show because of the animation, but I watched one and realized my horrible mistake. This among one of the best shows on CN, and is almost as good as Regular Show (though my favorite between the two is Regular Show).

The show is humorous, set in a fantasy world, the main villain Ice King is very complex when you think about it, I enjoy Finn and Jake's adventures. The only time this show shows any darkness is when the Lich is the main villain of the episode.

Overall, this show is amazing and it is one of the shows that redeems CN in spite of all the crap they've aired like Incredible Crew. and Uncle Grandpa.

• First 3 Seasons were good but Seasons 4-Present are awful!

3.5
    I Liked The First 3 Seasons but this show jumped the shark at Season 4!

3.5 out of 10
  • I dont get it

How is this funny?
  • Fun to watch.

A fun show with action and adventure for boys and drama and romance for girls. Probably the one of shows appropriate to let kids watch on Cartoon Network. It teaches kids about bravery and it makes you think for a while. Also, it is not one of those shows where all it shows is butts and farts like everything on Nickelodeon. It actually shows a story. However, some episodes are dark and pointless. They are kind of disturbing and makes your eyes hurt. But there are perks. It doesn't give kids bad ideas. In fact, they get kids more creative with there imagination. A good show that people would recommend.
  • Fun to watch, but overrated

I like Adventure Time. It's colorful, quirky, and entertaining. Both kids and adults can find something to like about it. But do I think it deserves all the praise it gets? Not really. It's not an amazing show, just a good one.
  • i never really watched it.

back then, it was really popular, but i wasnt allowed 2 watch it. now that it doesnt matter, i dont really like it. ill watch it if theres nothing better on.
  • What time is it? Cancel Time!

3.5
    The show is crappy, characters are rarely funny, and the plots are stupid and random. I won't be too harsh on the show though because there were a few good episodes. So this show is lucky I didn't give them a 1.0
  • This show has, writers, likable characters, and even development

Okay, I really love this show, to start off with, but I do love it for good reasons. First off, one of the most notable thing about this show is that it proves cartoon network has a little something called WRITERS! In comparison to more recent shows on Nickelodeon (With the exception of Korra) it seems that Nickelodeon is struggling with writers. This show, has prime examples of good writing such as episodes like Thank you, It came form the Night o sphere, Holly Jolly Secrets II, Fionna and Cake, Lady and Peebles, What was Missing, and I Remember You. Also, here's a bit of an FYI It's not ripoff of Flapjack and Regular Show. Flapjack ended in August of 2010, and Regular Show premiered in September of 2010. Adventure time's pilot episode aired in 2008 and the first official series episode aired in April of 2010.

Second, the characters are just awesome but they develop as well. At first Finn is just some happy go lucky guy who just loves adventure, but then he finds himself and develops as the show goes along, especially since he's at a time when he's coming of age. Other times he can be relatable to certain moments, such as the pain of being friend zoned, sticking up to your buds, or even making sacrifices in the end.

For Jake, he acts as sort of a guide and father figure for Finn. Aside form being an awesome shape shifting dog he also serves as a voice of reason for Finn, manages to help him feel better in tough times and even has some advice that can be applied to real life. Such as, Suckin' at something is the first step to being sorta good at something. Then there's BMO, it's just super adorable, it's little songs and actions it does alone are so cute. Sometimes BMO centered episodes are also some of the best and the little robot manages to put a smile on your face. When we talk about female characters Princess Bubble gum is one of the more underrated, she's actually smart, motherly, and sometimes can be a bit of a kick ass character. Sure she did get kidnapped, but you look forward to the adventure Finn and Jake go through in order to rescue her. She's certainly better than most kidnapped princesses, and actually throws some cliches out the window. Continuing with female characters, Marceline is by far my favorite. When it comes to her she's certainly not your typical vampire but she does prove that when you live for 1000 years and you're the queen of vampires you can do whatever you want to do. But then we find out some more thing about her that make her relatable, such as having difficulties with your father even if it is over trivial things, losing a friend you knew from long ago, having said friend that lost his memory of you, or having a significant other that betrays you. Now we get to the Ice king, at first he's the cliche kidnap the princess villain but we then find out he's very funny and not really so menacing. It's as if he's trying to be a nice guy with girls but fails at it and it's funny. I would post more about him but that just leaves room for major spoilers. Overall this show is not perfect, but it still has good writing, good music, memorable characters, and good stories.

However, if you think this show is crappy, may I remind you of Uncle Grandpa?
  • great a bit short

i really love this show but it its a bit the fan base is immature oh and by the way guys if you dont know the plot of this here it is "Before the war, human civilization was prevalent throughout much of what is known now as Ooo. Although the cause of the war remains unknown, its name suggests that nuclear weapons were heavily used in the conflict. This is supported in "Holly Jolly Secrets Part II," where one of Simon Petrikov's video diaries shows a plane flying outside his window. Although the scenery outside his window indicates no sign of devastation, it is inferred that the war had begun and the aircraft was, in fact, a war plane. The beginning of the opening theme also suggests this as it briefly shows the remains of nuclear bombs and other weapons in Ooo. In addition, most episodes show the remains of various armaments and pre-war technology throughout Ooo.

The war likely ended when the mushroom bomb was dropped along with the other nuclear weapons. This is evident from the episodes "Finn the Human" and "Jake the Dog" when Finn wishes the Lich, a product of the mushroom bomb, to have never existed. When the wish is granted, Finn is transported to a world where Simon sacrifices himself to stop the mushroom bomb and freezes the entire Earth in the process. Despite some destruction, without the detonation of the mushroom bomb, humanity would continue to exist. Also, in "Finn the Human," Farmworld Marceline suggests that the mushroom bomb likely concluded the war as she states that the world would have been annihilated if Simon had not stopped the bomb with his ice 1]

The war likely ended approximately one thousand years before the events of Adventure Time. This is suggested from Marceline's age as she states that she is one thousand years old in the Farmworld timeline. Since she was a young child during the Mushroom War, roughly a thousand years had past since the conflict ended.

Aftermath

The end of the war left much of the world devastated and devoid of much life. The infrastructure that had existed throughout the land had been mostly destroyed. The little human infrastructure that survived, such as girder bridges and office buildings, now lay in ruin. A great deal of human technology also remained scattered throughout the land. Abandoned and destroyed vehicles were a common sight in the devastated landscape. Despite the great destruction, some humans managed to survive the war, such as Marceline, Simon Petrikov, Moe, and the family line that eventually led to Finn. However, most presumably perished during the war. This is suggested in "Simon & Marcy" as there are no other humans in sight throughout the entire episode. Also, in "I Remember You," Simon says to Marceline that they may be alone after the apocalypse.

Some individuals survived the war through supernatural means. One example is Hunson Abadeer, Marceline's dad, who was seen in a flashback in "Memory of a Memory," showing him and Marceline right after the bombs were dropped in the war. It is likely that he may have been in the Nightosphere during the war. This is evident in Marceline's flashback in "I Remember You," as Hunson is nowhere to be seen while Marceline is crying while mouthing Therefore, it can be inferred that he abandoned or lost her sometime after the Mushroom War. Finally, in "It Came from the Nightosphere" Hunson Abadeer asks if Marceline turned the family axe into "Some kind of lute," hinting that he has spent an incredibly long amount of time in the Nightosphere.

Shoko after falling into the river of nuclear waste

Despite the destruction from the war, the land slowly began to recover and soon life was once again allowed to freely inhabit the earth. Only a few signs of the nuclear devastation remained in Ooo. One example was in the episode "The Vault," where Shoko helps Princess Bubblegum establish her new kingdom by covering up an irradiated river at the site of the Candy Castle. In the process of covering it up, Shoko becomes disfigured and mutated by the effects of the waste and appears as she had in premonitions in earlier episodes of the series. The episode implies that the Candy Kingdom is built atop a pond of nuclear waste.

Along with the rise of new civilizations, such as the Candy Kingdom, a diverse variety of intelligent life settled down in Ooo. Many were able to recover or develop technology for their own use. Examples of this are universal translator devices and holographic newspapers. It is unknown whether these are based on prewar technology (the year of the war was never stated, but we know that it must have happened sometime after 1982 because the Ice King is heard singing the theme song and making reference to the sitcom Cheers in the episode "Simon & Marcy" which premiered that year) or are more recent inventions. Despite this, most human inventions, especially those related to transportation, remained lost to the inhabitants of Ooo. In "The New Frontier," Jake mentions this when he says that "rocket ships haven't been reinvented yet," implying that the technology to build conventional space-faring vessels was lost during the Mushroom War.
  • A pretty good show, but overrated as heck.

I think I overexaggerated a bit in my last review update, I don't exactly hate this show, in fact, it's actually a pretty good show, but it's really overrated. I mean, no offense to all you fans of this show, but it's not as good as you guys say it is. Adventure Time is an alright cartoon, but it has a lot of flaws from time to time worth pointing out.

Adventure Time is about a 13 year old boy named Finn and a shape shifting dog named Jake who go on wild adventures in The Land of Ooo, and interact with other characters of the show. Now the premise itself isn't to bad, but slightly unoriginal. A boy and a shape shifting dog who go on wild adventures? Its like Flapjack meets Johnny Test (although Johnny Test is worse and much more unoriginal than this show), and I'm pretty sure that the whole human and anthromorphic animal premise has been overdone, but for this show, I can overlook it since there are new things added to it.

I have seen several episodes of this show, and it is actually a good show. But it needs improvement, especially considering how random the show is.

Most of the characters are unique and have good personalities to them for the most part (my favorite would have to be Jake). I find it cool how a bunch of random inanimate things get to be characters, it's kind of like Gumball. However, one character I mind is the protagonist Finn. He isn't that bad of a character, but he screams all the time and there are a lot of times were he's annoying and doesn't shut up, and I especially don't like those faces he makes when he freaks out. Other than that, most of the characters are decent.

The animation is bad, despite looking decent in a few scenes. The characters move so stiffly like puppets, it looks like an elbowless 5 year old drew it. The artwork is great, and has a lot of colorful visuals, but not overblown thankfully because there are enough dark atmospheres in this show. The sets look good, and the characters designs look good pretty much, except one thing is that they have noodle arms to them, which is probably why the animation isn't that good.

The humor is probably my biggest complaint. Don't get me wrong, there are some funny moments in the series, but they use randomness as a gag a lot, usually I don't mind randomness, but AT can sometimes go really overboard with it to the point were its not funny anymore and its just nonsensical and stupid.

Overall, a good show, but it has it's flaws here and there, and there are some bad episodes in the series worth avoiding, but there are some good ones as well. But its much better than most of the other crap on CN or Nick today. The score could've gone a bit higher if it wern't for the flaws I pointed out and the overratedness.
  • clever title So I want create my own cartoon show, and see AT as a template...

easy enough: see it's brilliance: candy characters; a boy a talking dog; a king, princesses galore. Some in-jokes that most do not get (Tree Trunks being a pie chef --in my pastry cookbook, I see a recipe for Tree Trunks --a pastry thing that resembles tree bark, made of chocolate, marzipan, cocoa butter and a nut mixture called gianduja). Using super-action and dialogue which includes fart jokes and banter. The thing is a natural for games, video games, and merchandise. Hmm. I really love Steven Universe, which might just need merchandising to pep up its popularity a bit.
  • Adventure Time is the best

I can understand why people will not like this but i love this you hate this show you most likely suck disneys or nicks channels suck ass and there shows fucking time is unique and has lots of kick ass characters.
  • I Just Wanna Cry ...

5.5
    I am sad to see Pendelton Ward and the crew are taking their leap of faith as they let Adventure Time gone downhill . The plots , the storylines , the drawings are getting bad ... I almost cry at the end of the episode ''The Red Thrones'' as i realised that romance is over ...

...

I missed the happy couple cuddling each other in the treefort and the elastic dog who is so funny ...
  • It's good, but overrated.

I do watch episodes of Adventure Time once in a while, but not too much. Adventure Time is pretty much overrated. Sorry, but that's just my opinion....
  • Stupid, overrated, and such a major letdown.

3.5
    When I was 9, i used to like this show. I was a stupid kid. This show sucks. I'm going into full detail on why this show is one of the worst shows of all time. The art design - Bland, undetailed, and looks like it was done by a 1st grader on MSPaint. My younger brother can draw better than this! This show has the 2nd worst art design ever. Some of you guys out there may be like, "Durr, it's the artist's style," but no, it's ALL THE TIME!!! By the way, this show was made by the same people who gave you other masterpieces like Fanboy and Chum Chum. Plots - Extremely stupid and goes TOO INSANE with sex. That's why I stopped watching this piece of garbage and realized this show sucks. I was probably 11 at that time. The plots make no sense and there is never a main plot at all. Look creators, going insane with sex jokes gets freaking old, not to mention this is a kid's show, not South Park, which has every reason to be inappropriate for children! Hence the word "Adventure" in the title. Most of the time, the episodes are either the characters talking about sex, nudity, or just being lazy and playing video games all day long. This is why this show was a major disappointment. Characters - Not even remotely likable. They come up with the most basic and bland designs for them ever imaginable. It's just hard to look at. Dialogue - Also sucks. The creators came with a stupid version of English that doesn't even make sense. It feels like listening to someone with a terrible vocabulary only a 2 year old would know. I have no clue people like this kind of stuff. It's just horrible! For those who are recommended this show and haven't watched it before (I envy you), please go watch something else. The promos promised an exciting adventurous show filled with action and fighting, but the terrible execution of this show destroyed any and all potential. Literally, this show is just a thorough f*** up.
  • One of the best animated shows ever.

Adventure Time breathes new life to the "magical land of adventures" genre that has been tackled by many other tv shows in the past. It turns a basic premise like "A kid and a dog go looking for adventures in the land of Ooo" to a collection of stories that are subtle metaphors for issues of the human condition, like destiny, the limits of the body and the mind (and what's the price for breaking these limits), the nature of true freedom, responsabilities vs freedom, sacrifice for the ones you want to keep safe, knowing their very lives depend on you, and only you, etc.

The show has a language of its own that has evolved this past seasons, developing a new sense of maturity, without becoming unfunny or too different to be unrecognizable. And if the viewer actually listens to sentences that could feel too ridiculous or random at times, maybe he can discover a whole new meaning to them, after thinking about it or after something happens in a future episode that was even foreshadowed by that line. That is an example of the brilliance of this show.

Also, I truly believe this show has one of the most well-rounded casts to have ever been put in a tv show. No character in Adventure Time is truly good or evil (with the obvious exception of the Lich, who is a direct product of a nuclear bomb); most of them stay in that gray area of morality that better defines ourselves. There's even a character that starts out merely as a joke, but as time passes on and we learn about his past, his status as a joke, let's just say, gets shaken up a bit...

The setting is also excellent. Reminiscent of the works of Tolkien and the D&D game, but having a very clever twist around it, the land of Ooo is a very well developed setting that, at times, it even seems real. I also like how there's a distinct rationality in Ooo, like everything that happens can be explained using logic, but having this world's rules in mind, of course.

The humour, what can I say. It goes all these different places; you got childish humour and slapstick, you got witty one-liners and comebacks, character-based jokes, all with a great dose of irreverence and intelligence. It's a riot.

The animation and the character design really helps the humour too, with blank, deadpan expressions and big, exagerated reactions to create a certain mood that, trust me, is unique to this show. I especially love the character design of Adventure Time and the fact that they look so simple that a child could have drawn them, increasing its appeal to the younger audience.

The writing is wonderful. That's all I can say about it.

So, overall, Adventure Time is a fantastic show, with fantastic themes, fantastic story, fantastic characters and a fantastic setting. It's all about the sadness, though. And happiness.

• This saved cartoon network.

I enjoy this show a lot. The only problem I have with it is the fact that it get's a little gross at time and I hate how everyone talks in slang and say "dude" "man" or "awesome" It's a little annoying

Other than that It's a great and creative show
  • Its a little better than I originally thought.

I reviewed this before. But like with Regular Show, I decided to watch more of it to see if I maybe judged it too soon, and I did. So here is my re-review of Adventure Time.

Adventure Time is about a boy and his magical, talking dog, who go on crazy adventures around the land of Ooo (I still think thats a dumb name). The show's plot sounded like a good one. Which is why I was kinda disappointed with the show itself for some of the stupid adventures Finn and Jake would go on. A good share of the episodes are good, but there were others that could be pretty random, and downright strange. However, the humor of the show makes up for it a bit in my opinion, even though a lot of it is inappropriate. Some of the slang the characters use though is a bit stupid (Shmow Zow? Really?).

The main characters are pretty likable. Finn's a likable kid, though his hat is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen. Jake's a pretty cool sidekick with some interesting powers, and the fact that he's voiced by John DiMaggio makes him even better. Bubblegum and Marceline are both cool girls, but Ice King... should he even be considered the main antagonist? I don't know, with how often he'll get along with Finn and Jake, it's kinda debatable. Seriously, half the time they fight, then they'll turn around and act like the best of friends. Plus, he's not so much a threat, as a nuesence. But he's at least okay compared to Lemongrab, who I find annoying as hell!

My biggest problem with Adventure Time is its art style. I'm sorry, but what kind of cheap, chicken-scratch art style is this?! It looks like it was drawn by a 4-year old. However, aside from that, the show's pretty okay. It has great voice acting and some pretty good action scenes. I have to admit it's a lot better than shit like Regular Show, Amazing World of Gumball and Johnny Test. However, I can't call it one of my favorite animated shows. Not by a longshot. Adventure Time is a tad overrated, but after watching it again, it's at least a little better than I thought.
  • Best Cartoon i Ever Seen...

Well, am not that good with reviews, but let's just say this is the most awesome cartoon that i ever seen....
  • This show is decent I can't deny, but I still don't like it as much as I wished I could.

Fuck Uncle Grandpa. A tiger that can fly but is afraid of heights is bullshit.
  • It lacks waaaay to much credit.

This I'm going to say is one of CN's marvels. Season one was a wreck, but this went from a giant miss to a hit. From an airball to a swish. If I had any more metaphors I'd name them. Besides Regular Show and maybe one other show this is CN's only good show. Adventure Time as well as Cartoon Network is for young adults, aka actually mature kids. Uncle Grandpa is crap, The Amazing World of Gumball has more idiotic jokes than farts, and the Annoying Orange has turned from somewhat decent to horrendous in just a few episodes. For people with a negative comment, two things for you, not trying to be hostile here.

1. It's made it five seasons with high ratings, doesn't look like it will be cancelled soon.

2. It's actually good if you try some of them, I agree that the first season where Finn was an idiot is horrible. If you only saw S1, it has improved drastically.
  • Getting Worst Than ever before but some good but Still bad

Eversince it become downhill finn adn jake my worst than ever, one time where the episode where they trying to investigate LSP problems, they lock up a wrong inocient what they do next? oh! making fun that inocient dunno if hes a bad guy but they bother releasing that guy? the one the put on jail!!? okay i dunno if they release that guy from jail after solving LSP the detective stuff to the theres good stuff on the episode however but going downhill of AT fans are begining to lost intrest on the matter of time before this show is going to get time will tell
  • My opinion: wonderful

Now I have a very particular scope of things I like especially when it comes to television and movies which range from Frasier to Top Gear(uk) to of course the topic at hand. That said I do understand how Adventure Time isn't everyone's cup of tea, what I don't understand is how some TV watchers can categorize this show as garbage. AT is undoubtably one of my favorite shows so my opinion might seem a little bias but such as it is with most things in life there are some aspects or episodes that I'm not the biggest fan of. But as a whole AT is not only smart, entertaining, and from time to time pulls on the strings of ones heart, it is a groundbreaking cartoon covering topics that most cartoons won't dare touch. Digressing back to the reviewers who use words like garbage or horrendous which should be saved for reality tv, everyone is entitled to their opinion but please try to appreciate it for what it really is: a kids show that bring millions of adolescence and adults a like joy and hold true to originality which so few things lack now a days.
  • I hate Adventure Time!

Seriously some of the most overrated garbage to ever air on TV. If you want a GOOD show from CN, then watch Regular Show.
  • It's Good.

It has it's good episodes and not so good worth watching to to try to figure out if Susan Strong is Finn's Mom.
  • it's okay

the show is okay, I just really can't get into it, I understand all the praise but, I think it's average. NO offense to all the fans out there
  • Creator should be put in a mental institution...

The person that actually made the decision to put this show on television, should be instantly fired and black listed, and the animators should all have their fingers broken and their crayons melted into candles!

Do these people really have that little imagination that they give the characters last names like Thehuman and Thedog? How many Jakes and Finns do they have on this show anyway? Enough that they need to give them a last name to keep them distinct? I doubt it. Or are they just saying our kids are so stupid that they can't figure it out? Maybe it is because the artwork is so bad, it is the only way for anyone to figure out what they are?

Seriously, if a 3 yr old draws a picture of a cat, most people can tell its a cat! The ears and whiskers are pretty much a give a way.

The plots are as bad as Voltron! Pull out that burning light saber, problem solved. every god damn time! Same here.. Dog changes into something, problem solved.

Exactly what age group are they targeting with this? Since the boy appears 10-13 that would indicate that age bracket? The content indicates the 2-4 yrs age bracket. Change the character to a smaller child, make the dog a puppy and brighten the colors, then maybe you have a target audience with the toddlers.

One show that I feel is the most amazing ever for its intended audience, is Tele-tubbies! There is a baby in the sun, the colors are very bright, and the tele-tubbies don't have complex dialogues, just amusing but expressive sounds. A lot of people might not like this show, and call it "stupid" but for the target audience of 2-4 years, it has everything, lots of sensory stimulation!

But, back to Adventure Time....

The only thing this show stimulates is my urge to put a gun to the back of the creators head in the town square at high noon.

To give an idea how bad this show is... I would give "Gumball" a +4.5 rating. JUST because the animation is fairly good, the characters match the target age group and the story lines are understandable for that age group, plus, the few shows I watched had an underlying life lesson for the kids.
  • ??eeeh?? Overrated.

Random quality plots confuse me. I never know what I am watching. Show confuses me. I guess its good to watch sometimes, but its basiaclly a show with episodes I never remember. It also has some kind of dark feeling when I watch it.

I can't believe I got 15 dislikes. :(
  • Not good...

there is something about it I like and pulls me its is a little to random and creepy at times. But over all, I do not like it very much but don't hate it much just think its a little inappropriate and there are a lot of better cartoons out there.
  • best Show Evar

I thought Cartoon was coming to an end, until Adventure Time and Regular Show . (The two best shows ever) Came to my life. I mean, its really something that made me enjoy cartoon in a way which is epic and I CANT STOP WATCHING IT
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7