A question about Scratch and Grounder's first appearance

pferreira86

[1]Dec 23, 2008
    • level: 17
    We know that Scratch and Grounder appear in the Genesis/Mega Drive game Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine but my question is which came first. The cartoon series or the game? Were Robotnik's lackeys created for the game and then featured in the series or created for the cartoon and later incorporated into the game? Any help would be appreciated.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pashotshot

[2]Jan 5, 2009
    • level: 15
    That is a good question, since both were made in the early 90's. A good hint is that Sonic 2 was released in '92 for the Genesis.

pferreira86

[3]Jan 6, 2009

Both the cartoon series and Mean Bean Machine came out in 1993. In the pilot episode of the series a lot of the featured robots including Scratch and Grounder are from the game so maybe the game came first?

pashotshot

[4]Jan 6, 2009
    That way, the producers could make a decision on which robot to choose for the show, so they got Scratch and Grounder.

pferreira86

[5]Jan 7, 2009
    However, Scratch and Grounder are the main characters in both the game and the pilot episode (their origin story) so these appearances weren't intended to be testing the characters popularity, it was their introductions. You might be onto something with Sonic 2. Different versions of the two do appear in Sonic 2 along with Coconuts (he's actually named as well), although they don't work together and seem rather generic looking compared to their appearance in Mean Bean Machine.
    Edited on 01/07/2009 5:42am

pashotshot

[6]Jan 8, 2009
    I never even knew they were on Mean Bean Machine until you brought it up. All I knew is that it involved Dr. Robotnick in it plenty.

pferreira86

[7]Jan 9, 2009
    I'm not sure about Coconuts but Scratch and Grounder are the main henchmen in the 1993 game Mean Bean Machine. You fight other robots as well as them but the game begins with Robotnik telling his evil plan to the two. This goes back to my original question as to which came first: this game or the cartoon series. As I mentioned in my previous post, variations of them both appear in Sonic 2 which came out in 1992. However, were they estabilished as main characters first in the cartoon series or Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine? It is a tricky question.
    Edited on 01/09/2009 4:26pm

pashotshot

[8]Jan 11, 2009
    That is tricky since this series started in the same year as the game did.

pferreira86

[9]Jan 12, 2009
    And both must of began production at the same time.

pashotshot

[10]Jan 16, 2009
    That might've been a possibility.

wdprince

[11]Jan 16, 2009
    • level: 21
    i guess its up to me...
    the show came out in september, mean bean machine came out 2 months later in NOVEMBER, do the math...
    Edited on 01/16/2009 4:20pm

pashotshot

[12]Jan 17, 2009
    Now, let's find out the specific dates.

wdprince

[13]Jan 17, 2009
    aosth first premiered on september 6, 1993
    dr. robotnik's mean bean machine was first released on november 29, 1993 (according to the sonic mega collection manual)

pferreira86

[14]Jan 19, 2009
    wdprince wrote:
    aosth first premiered on september 6, 1993 dr. robotnik's mean bean machine was first released on november 29, 1993 (according to the sonic mega collection manual)
    I know about the release dates as well but it doesn't mean Scratch and Grounder were created first for Adventures. Having said that, after doing some research it seems more and more likely that Scratch and Grounder were created first for the cartoon series as they seem to appear not only in Mean Bean Machine but also Sonic Spinball (well at least Scratch anyway). Wikipedia makes mention of Mean Bean Machine being set in the same universe as Adventures which means the latter was created first. I also doubt developers at Sega would reuse Robotnik's henchmen in various games if they hadn't been popular in the cartoon series first.

wdprince

[15]Jan 19, 2009
    pferreira86 wrote:
    wdprince wrote:
    aosth first premiered on september 6, 1993 dr. robotnik's mean bean machine was first released on november 29, 1993 (according to the sonic mega collection manual)
    I know about the release dates as well but it doesn't mean Scratch and Grounder were created first for Adventures. Having said that, after doing some research it seems more and more likely that Scratch and Grounder were created first for the cartoon series as they seem to appear not only in Mean Bean Machine but also Sonic Spinball (well at least Scratch anyway). Wikipedia makes mention of Mean Bean Machine being set in the same universe as Adventures which means the latter was created first. I also doubt developers at Sega would reuse Robotnik's henchmen in various games if they hadn't been popular in the cartoon series first.

ok, so @ first you said that you didn't know the dates and that you'd like to know them. now that i tell you, you say that you already know? make up your mind. and of course they wouldn't be put in the game first, the dates say it all. you wouldn't even have to waste time researching something when the answer's right in front of your face. what i'm tryin to say is if you already “knew” what the answer was, then what was the point of asking us in the first place?
    Edited on 01/19/2009 3:16pm

pashotshot

[16]Jan 19, 2009
    He probably wanted to make sure that the online sources got the facts right.

pferreira86

[17]Jan 20, 2009
    wdprince wrote:
    pferreira86 wrote:
    wdprince wrote:
    ok, so @ first you said that you didn't know the dates and that you'd like to know them. now that i tell you, you say that you already know? make up your mind. and of course they wouldn't be put in the game first, the dates say it all. you wouldn't even have to waste time researching something when the answer's right in front of your face. what i'm tryin to say is if you already "knew" what the answer was, then what was the point of asking us in the first place?
    I'm sorry if I haven't been clear. I've been trying to figure out whether Scratch and Grounder were created for the cartoon series first or the game. The release dates tell you nothing. I found out last week that the cartoon series came out in Sep 93 with the game coming out in Nov 93 but the you see the robots may have been created for the game first. The game may have been delayed until after the cartoon series premiered. That's the problem, knowing what the robots were designed for first: the series or Mean Bean Machine. Again, sorry if I haven't been clear.

wdprince

[18]Jan 20, 2009
    u str8 bro

pferreira86

[19]Jan 21, 2009
    Sometimes I try...

pashotshot

[20]Jan 21, 2009
    Now, we're getting closer to the root of this question.