The American Sonic the Hedgehog Comic or the British Sonic the Comic?

US or UK Sonic Comic?

wdprince

[1]Aug 8, 2007
    • level: 21
    i never read sonic the comic, only saw scans from sonichq.com (they don't even have every issue). but i would really like to read them. they look very interesting. but for now, i'll go with the american series.
    Edited on 08/08/2007 7:19pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jessmpro33

[2]Aug 8, 2007
    • level: 14

american!

(i have like 13 issues)

PPG-Katelyn

[3]Aug 13, 2007
    • level: 16
    I've read alot of the Archie Sonic comics and I've read a few of the Fleetway comics and it's hard to decide which one I like more right now.

jessmpro33

[4]Aug 15, 2007
    you have the fleetway comics!!!! *jelous look*

Gowienczyk

[5]Oct 15, 2007
    • level: 3

I own over 100 issues of the Archie Series. Archie's Sonic Comic has and is past it's prime. I've seen stupid plots and unnessicary developments. If I had to be honest, I'd say the comic should of died at 75 at the most. Looking at Fleetway, they seemed to have a more itneresting drive in character development and plots. Not to mention the characters were far more interesting a lot of the times.

Fleetway > Archie

That's the honest truth.

jessmpro33

[6]Oct 19, 2007

YOU HAVE 100 ARCHIE ISSUES!!

man at most i have is like 91 of the Archie version i don't have any of the fleetway issues.

cuz i have 1-75 + 2 full sets of a mini seiries (Princess sally and Tails) then 13 of the actuall issues.....

dang you rule!

hey are the fleetway ones older?

i mean were the fleetway issues made before the Archie ones?

Edited on 10/19/2007 10:50pm

Gowienczyk

[7]Oct 22, 2007
    I think both comics came around the same era, but to clarify: it ran from 1993-2002 and has a webcomic continuing with some online issues. Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog started in 1993 as well.

To clarify I'm missing a lot of comics but I have a big collection: 32-38, 40-47, 67-150 and some single comic issues here and there. I have a few miniseries (Death Egg Saga, Super Sonic VS Hyper Knuckles), and some Knuckles the Echidna issues..... I am estimating 100 comics, merely at the most. I should resubscribe just for the collecting aspect, methinks.

panicpuppet

[8]Jan 31, 2008
    • level: 10

I've got every issue of Fleetway's Sonic the Comic and over 100 of the Archie ones. Having read both and given them a fair chance, I have to see that I think the Fleetway ones are much, MUCH better. Maybe it's because I was raised on them (I didn't start collecting the Archie ones until 2000, since I didn't know it was possible to get them here before that; I just stumbled across them by chance in a comic store), but they were always more interesting to me.

I still collect the Archie ones (and Sonic X, for that matter; I really like those), but it's definitely gone downhill over the years.

I don't like the way the characters are portrayed in them, and a lot of the plots seem more like something out of a soap opera than a Sonic series. It has been picking up a little again recently, but still not enough for me to really enjoy it, unfortunately.

Fleetway, on the other hand, I enjoyed right up until the end (or until it went reprint, at least; I still collected it then, but I was sad to see the fact that there weren't in new stories to look forward to every fortnight). It wasn't always perfect, but it really captured the general Sonic spirit, then done so much more with it. The plots were quite original, and I LOVED what they done with Super Sonic, since it was better than just a souped-up Sonic that can defeat just about anything. I also liked the way they developed some of the other characters, Amy being the one who stood out the most. I've always been a fan of her, but I hate the fact that she's been demoted to "screaming Sonic fangirl" in the games.

soniicfan

[9]Feb 3, 2008
    • level: 10
    american sonic comics

wdprince

[10]Jan 16, 2009
    • level: 21
    panicpuppet wrote:

I've got every issue of Fleetway's Sonic the Comic and over 100 of the Archie ones. Having read both and given them a fair chance, I have to see that I think the Fleetway ones are much, MUCH better. Maybe it's because I was raised on them (I didn't start collecting the Archie ones until 2000, since I didn't know it was possible to get them here before that; I just stumbled across them by chance in a comic store), but they were always more interesting to me.

I still collect the Archie ones (and Sonic X, for that matter; I really like those), but it's definitely gone downhill over the years.

I don't like the way the characters are portrayed in them, and a lot of the plots seem more like something out of a soap opera than a Sonic series. It has been picking up a little again recently, but still not enough for me to really enjoy it, unfortunately.

Fleetway, on the other hand, I enjoyed right up until the end (or until it went reprint, at least; I still collected it then, but I was sad to see the fact that there weren't in new stories to look forward to every fortnight). It wasn't always perfect, but it really captured the general Sonic spirit, then done so much more with it. The plots were quite original, and I LOVED what they done with Super Sonic, since it was better than just a souped-up Sonic that can defeat just about anything. I also liked the way they developed some of the other characters, Amy being the one who stood out the most. I've always been a fan of her, but I hate the fact that she's been demoted to "screaming Sonic fangirl" in the games.

yeah, from what i've read so far, i like the original sonic storyline that the uk's comic had as well as the artwork they had back in the sonic 2- sonic and knuckles adaptions. the reason those were my favorite were becuz those r my 3 favorite genesis sonic games and the storylines along with how they used the games' different zones to fit it was brilliant. but as the comic went on, the art didn't seem as good as it use to be. in one of the more recent issues, sonic was kinda fat lookin in addition with the big head. and i know, i'm sorta goin off topic, but back when knuckles had first debuted in the comic, that wierd smirk they always drew him with kinda creeped me out, and i hated his shoe design... come to think of it, his uk design is one of the reasons the european version of sonic the hedgehog 3's cover was so ugly lol
    Edited on 01/16/2009 4:59pm

pashotshot

[11]Jan 17, 2009
    • level: 15
    I envy the Sonic comics from Archie. I give them props for the comics.

pferreira86

[12]Jan 19, 2009
    • level: 17
    I grew up with the UK Sonic The Comic so I vote Fleetway! I still have a ton of issues in storage somewhere. It's a shame I couldn't continue to buy them but my newsagent or WHSmith stopped selling them. Great memories and a great comic!

pashotshot

[13]Jan 26, 2009
    I haven't heard of the Fleetway! When did it finish selling?

pferreira86

[14]Jan 27, 2009

pashotshot wrote:
    I haven't heard of the Fleetway! When did it finish selling?
    Sonic The Comic stopped being published in 2002. Towards the end the comic relied on reprints of old stories. Here's the Wikipedia link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_the_Comic

This comic was part of my childhood growing up and it was great!

pashotshot

[15]Jan 27, 2009
    Did the UK version posted their Sonic stuff in English.

pferreira86

[16]Jan 28, 2009
    pashotshot wrote:
    Did the UK version posted their Sonic stuff in English.
    Yeah, it was made primarily for the UK audience.

pashotshot

[17]Jan 30, 2009
    When did this UK series began?

pferreira86

[18]Feb 2, 2009
    The UK comic began the same time as the US one (1993). I'm not surprised if you haven't heard of it. From my point of view for a long time I didn't know there was an American one.

EmpeorWing

[19]Mar 3, 2009
    • level: 5
    I like them both.

Animaniacs1990

[20]Mar 23, 2009
    I like the old Archie Sonic comics from the 1990s. I never read the UK ones though.