The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog

(ended 1993)

Kennymacdougall

The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog Fan Reviews (58)

• This worthless TV Show translation doesn't seem to match the popularity of the original game.

3.5
    When I was more of a sonic lover at age 4 in 1999 (now a hater at age 12 today in 2008), I heard this was airing on Toon Disney at the time. Sadly, I wasted too much time in my life and couldn't see a single episode. Now it is being used in YouTube Poops and websites everywhere, and I finally saw some of it. I was very disappointed. "Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog" was originally offered to ABC for Saturday morning broadcasting. But because ABC executives found the series to be lacking in plot and animation, ABC told DiC to scrap it and work on another Sonic cartoon. Its replacement was the second series, Sonic the Hedgehog.

Sonic is voiced by Jaleel White, and was mentioned as Sonic's most embarrassing moment in an EGA issue.

The Sonic Says messages at the end of each episode just washes away his cool.

In the episode "Pseudo Sonic", Sonic and Tails(?) went to a flower bed with someone named "Rat". They had some sort of allergic reaction and it inflated their bodies.

In the episode "Mass Transit Trouble", Robotnik plants bombs at three of Mobius' centers of transport (an airport, a lighthouse and a railway station), threatening to cause chaos unless Sonic can effectively be in three places at once. This episode was later banned from Toon Disney airings due to the 9/11 attacks. Now that's superiorly offensive to Americans.

Planet Mobius is in a rather weird and futuristic setting, other than just entirely tree from Sonic SatAM.

If you're looking for action and excitement, this is the wrong show to watch.

I don't want any hate comments about this review. This my opinion about it as a Sonic hater. Watch it and see for yourself, but I wouldn't recommend doing so.
  • this show is based on the SEGA game Sonic. It is about a hedgenog: Sonic and his friends saving the good.

1.2
    The arcade game is sooo much better then the show. the animation is a little weird. The characthers look fake and the plots in the t v show are not that good. i prefer the game 2127389749875043759076947690767 percent more then the t v show.
    the show is so unoriginal also.. because it takes the concept of the game which is really good and then makes it this thing.
    one good thing is i think they stopped showing this on t v which means in order to watch this not good show you would have to rent the dvd

watch it if you want but i do not like it at all.....
  • When i think of Sonic The Hedgehog I usualy overlook this cartoon even though it did start the Sonic cartoon franchise it just had too much slapstick and seemed more like a bugs bunny cartoon.

2.5
    I hate too say it but this is Sonic at his worst even worse than Sonic X wich is only a little better than this sorry to have to say it but its true this also had the worst animation i almost gave it 2.0 but cause im a sonic fan i gave it 2.5 now if your about 4-9 years old you might like this but older people should look at the second series my favorite wich has a darker story line
  • Sonic at his best. This show is amazing. My friends and I love to see sonic and his friends get in all sorts of mischeif. Although the graphics aren't quite as good, that's what it was in 1993.

Sonic at his best. This show is amazing. My friends and I love to see sonic and his friends get in all sorts of mischeif. Although the graphics aren't quite as good, that's what it was in 1993. I am glad to see that these have been re-released on to dvds. I love seeing Sonic, Tails, and the gang on my tv. This is a great show for people of all ages (recommened for kids). Right now I own all the dvds that have came out and I cant stop watching them. The only problem I've found is the voices sometimes don't match up. I say if your a fan of the games, then this is the show for you.
  • Adventures was a great show in itself, it delivered to it's audience well and kept its entertainment factor high and in quality.

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog was probably one of the mainliners of when I was growing up, but then I probably still preferred the other Sonic lineup (SatAM). With that, this was a grand show that delivered it's fun vibe while keeping a slight educational morality with every episode. This is noted when one recounts seeing the little 'lesson of the day' at every end of an episode. The Recurring Characters were great and acted perfectly by their Voice Actors. DiC truly helped mainline a true Classic.

Perhaps, when you compare this and SatAM to the later Sonic-based shows. They really fail in comparison. A DVD of this show belongs in your DVD / VHS library.

Definitely.
  • It\'s basically the first two sonic games made into a cartoon along the lines of Bugs Bunny, Woody Woodpecker, and Roadrunner & Wildy Coyote.

I remember this show. This was one of my favorite shows on tv back when I was little (along with Sonic Satam and Thomas the tank engine) rewatching some of the episodes brings back memories. I never really enjoyed Bugs Bunnny or Woody Woodpecker (which were probaly inspirations for this show) but I loved this show. Back then, I didn\'t even know Sonic was a video game character, I thought he was just a cartoon character, proving that you didn\'t have to like the games to enjoy this show. It gave me memorable catch phrases like \"IIIIIIIII\'MMMMMMM Wwwwwwwaiting!\" It\'s still fun to watch today, I\'d love to see a DVDs come out of the entire series (same goes for SATAM) so I can show this to my kids one day...
  • Sonic is so freakin cool

I used to buy Sonic the Hedgehog Comics and draw Sonic characters, I just thought the Sonic characters were so cool. And I think tails is one of the most adorable, cutest characters ever created. I did then, and I still do now. And Princess Sally is a cool character as well. Unlike most princesses, instead of being the " Damsel " type, she was smart and brave. I didn't really like the voice choice they chose for Sonic though. It was just never the voice I pictured him in.
  • The only true Sonic show.

Sonic running like hell, with his pal Miles and defeating Robotnik and his evil plans. I don't know how the other Sonic shows was anything else then this. Because this is the true Sonic the Hedgehog.

The show is pretty funny too, and this will atleast give you a little smile when watching it. All the shows are heartwarming and this reminds me how much Sonic Shows have gone downhill. SaTaM was the last we saw of the real Sonic. Sonic Underground presented a storyline about how Sonic was borned, but he didn't trust 100% on his speed, and used guitars and crap. Not Sonic. Not even close. Also, Tails where nowhere in Underground. Totaly failure.

Sonic X were a bit more acceptable, now when Sonic ran alot, like he should. But it now, all the sudden, Sonic ran on Earth. Totaly failure. Also, nobody likes Chris.

Maybe this show was a bit too cartoony, but it was all fun at the same time. Hope some producer or SEGA remembers this show and makes something close to it, because this is a classic show.
  • this show is so fuuny i always laugh when i watch it i think this is the best sonic the hedgehog show.

this sonic show is probably the funniest cartoon ever it was made in 1993 and it is so funny im surprised sonic was in a comedy show. all of the episodes are so funny. robotnick is a vilan but he is the funniest in the show along with his two robot serents grounder and scratch.sonic is funny on it to the episode i think is the funniest is big daddy because its very funny and it never gets boring.

this show is probably the funnist cartoon ever and it should carry on getting made it is so funny well done.
  • Best Show Ever!

I always loved this classic Sonic cartoon. Dr. Robotnik looks different in this show, and I like it. This show potrays Scratch and Grounder as Wile E. Coyote and Sonic as Road Runner because the dumbbots are always failing to catch Sonic one time too many. The best episodes are Magnificent Sonic, Robotnikland, Hedgehog of the Hound Table, The Magic Hassle, Best Hedgehog, Robotnik Jr., Sno Problem and Sonic's Song. I didn't expect this show to take place in some planet called Mobius. The animation in each episode looks really cool. The best part about the show is when Robotnik always yells out "I hate that hedgehog!" That catchphrase is music to my ears even though I like Sonic. I love this cartoon next to Garfield and Friends.
  • This show is based off of the classic Sonic games and it's got alot of good moments.

When I was young, I grew up with the Sonic games (mostly 'Sonic the Hedgehog 2') and I've always wanted to see a Sonic tv series. When I was 9, I started watching Toon Disney and I saw that this was on Toon Disney. I watched it every night it was on but sometimes I accedentally missed it but not much. I kept watching it every night until one day, Toon Disney moved it to a time where I was usually sleeping then finally they took it off. I miss watching this cartoon every night. I do watch it on YouTube sometimes. I'm glad that this tv series is going to be coming to DVD boxsets. This is the best Sonic cartoon I've ever known! I even like it more then 'Sonic X'. I think Scratch and Grounder the most hilaious charactors in Sonic history. Another thing that makes this cartoon my favorite Sonic cartoon is that Tails is in every episode and he is always Sonic's sidekick. I know he got captured by Robotnik alot but he's also had a few episodes of his own.
  • Sonic and Tails had to fight Dr. Robotnik and his two lackys Scratch and Grounder. and always ate a bunch of chilie dogs.

I wish they would bring this show back or at least put out more DVDs of this show i miss it so much because i know someone who has one of the vids and i wish i had it too because i love this show and i wish they would bring it back!
  • A show that would of been better as a laughing joke to the Sonic games.

Its pretty easy to see why they changed this show with the larger cast and much darker and continuing story of the SatAM series. This show was far too comical to deal with the very real motive that Sonic the Hedgehog has on people. And that is freedom and what people are willing to do to get it. It was funny, I'll give it that, but Sonic's WHOLE attitude wasn't fully realized here. The characters were given an overhaul with this one and it was welcomed, but I don't ever believe that Sonic thought that Tails was an annoying nuisence. Robotnik's 'Master plans' in this one truly poke fun at his immaturity, but he really is a very clever planner. In SatAM, this was fully realized and captured, actually making him a major threat rather than a walking joke.
  • Nothing too special, but it's not that bad.

5.5
    "Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog" is the 1st animated TV show to be based on the popular Sonic the Hedgehog video game series, wich is considered to be Sega's answer to Nintendo's Mario. And like Mario, this cartoon was produced by DiC Entertainment (the producers of "Inspector Gadget", "Heathcliff", and the later episodes of "Alvin and the Chipmunks"). While the Mario cartoons were pretty close to the games (excluding Mario World), this show wasn't. The Sonic games were about an evil scientist taking animals and turning them into his robot slaves, in order for him to take over the world and remake it in his image. This show was pure insanity! It was pretty much just a blue hedgehog and a two-tailed fox running around, eating chili dogs and stopping Robotnik's minions Scratch and Grounder. And why Robotnik was evil was never given an explanation in this show. Really, this version of him isn't even smart. Dr. Robotnik is supposed to be a genius, in this show he was an idiotic fool, who failed at everything, and made Patrick Star look intellectual. Robotnik's only sign of intelligence at all is his ability to build robots. And the way he builds them doesn't make any sense at all. This show was basically just a rip-off of the Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner shorts. But this show was fun to watch. It wasn't funny at all, it was extremely repetetive and predictable, and sometimes it was cheesier than "Full House" and "Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers" put together. However it was entertaining. It's mainly just a fun show to watch to pass time. It's not very good, but it's not horrible. Deep inside I want to say this show is awful, but I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it. Because it was pretty fun. And the voice acting was great. The voice actors for Scratch, Grounder and Tails weren't amazing, but Long John Baldry was a good choice for this goofy version of Robotnik, and Jaleel White (Steve Urkel) is still the best Sonic. Yes I said it. He's better than Ryan Drummond (Sonic's video game voice from 1999-2004). I didn't even like Ryan Drummond as Sonic. He made him sound too bland, boring and simple, while Jaleel White was not only a better actor, but he made Sonic sound how he was supposed to act. Like a teenager who likes to break the rules, have fun and do what he wants. Jaleel really did a good job putting that into Sonic's voice. While Ryan Drummond made him sound like just a boring, average hero, and had none of the attitude and impatientness Jaleel put there, and that's the kind of guy Sonic was originally imagined as. Jason Griffith (Sonic's voice on "Sonic X" and the games from 2005-2010) made Sonic sound too boring, emotionless, and nasal. And Roger Smith (Sonic's current voice actor on the games) is pretty good, but not quite as good as Jaleel White. Well, Scratch and Grounder were annoying, Robotnik was a pathetic excuse for a villain, Tails was helpless and always the one getting kidnapped, the scripts were repetetive and predictable, the animation was sloppy, the show was crazier than "Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat", "Space Ghost: Coast to Coast" and "Bobobo-bo-bobobo" all put together, but it was fun and entertaining, and a good way to pass time, but not what I'd call a classic, and I don't plan on buying the DVDs. Rating: 57% "Average"

Not too good, but not that bad either. However it was somewhat entertaining, but I would not call it a classic, and it's pretty much only fun when you're really bored.

-Cartoon King
  • This was the first show that had the Sonic character on it. The slapstick was too much to handle at times.

5.8
    The first Sonic show on television was anything but ordinary. Sure the theme song was nice at first, but then it made me think of the bumblebee song, which was not that nice. The slapstick humor was too much to handle. It almost seemed as if Sonic really was making fun of Dr. Robotnik at times. "I hate that hedgehog!" His henchman slash "dumb bots", as Sonic would call them, were really stupid. What happened to the smart bad guys? The music was okay but the background artwork and some of the characters looked really awful. Tails was too scared to go on his own adventures. He was like the damsel in distress.
  • This wasn't the best Sonic show DIC ever did, but it was funny to say the least.

AOSTH was a show IMO that could have bombed big time had it not been for one thing, and that was the comedy.

The comedy in this show was so funny, its what kept me tuned in.

Let's face it, the villains in this show were just downright pathetic. Dr. Robotnik couldn't conquer his own backyard if he tried. He was just that lame.

And let's not forget he has 2, no, make that 3 idiots messing up any good plans he comes up with time and time again. Why on Mobius couldn't they figure out Sonic's disguises, especially when his blue quills and face was clearly visible every now and then? Are they that brainless?

I mean, I know it made the show funny. And yet, its like, c'mon, no one's that's stupid!

Another thing this show had was excellent voice actors. Dr. Robotnik's voice actor sounded perfect for this show, arrogant and boastful. I even liked Scratch and Grounder's. Yes, they were annoying, but so funny at the same time.

Hey, even the gals Sonic interacted with were well thought up. Even though I don't like the idea of Sonic being such a flirt, it made the show. Gals like Roxy Raccoon, Breezie, Merna and Miss Possum were very likable characters, though I don't know why they had to give Miss Possum those net things on her legs. This was supposed to be a kid's show after all. Finally, the Sonic says were pretty lame, yet a bit humorous at the same time. I mean, Sonic is not exactly the best role model for kids, but I guess I can't blame DIC for trying.

To wrap this up, AOSTH was an OK show. Not because it was original and well thought, but it accomplished what it was trying to be, and that was a slapstick comedy.
  • Not as good as the SatAM one, but entertaining. SatAm's opposite.

The two [good] US Sonic shows (not including Sonic Underground... ugh!) basically had two seperate styles. This one was more "cartoonish" and light-hearted. Sonic had the same personality as SatAm, but he outsmarted his enimies (two bumbling lackeys based from minor game characters, and an evil "genius" who's prone to complete failure) in a way similar to that of Bugs Bunny (disguises, traps backfiring, ect.)

He was still a hero, but not a super-heroish stereotype, so he was realistic is his own way. And his little sidekick with an odd but handy birth defect, Tails, had the personality of a young child.

So this one was an even more kiddy version of SatAM so if you wanted something with a much less serious tone, this is for you
  • Stupid... yet funny.

This show is basically to Sonic what Adam West is to Batman. Recent Sonic games have become more dark and complex, but this show portrays a more brighter, silly Sonic.

Each episode was in the spirit of a Road Runner cartoon (it also reminded me of Toonstruck for some reason), with flamboyant backgrounds and gratitous slapstick. Despite the show's stupidity...I liked it.

While Sonic and Tails weren't too interesting in this show, Dr. Robotnik (God rest his voice actor) was hilarious, as were Scratch and Grounder. The villains got the best lines, and actually did make you smile.

While many fans disliked this show, it's good for a giggle.
  • Goofy but Great!!

I loved this crazy cooky cartoon! I remember watching it when I was seven years old back in mid 1996 on UPN. Seeing sonic speed off to save Mobius from Dr. Robotnick kept me hooked.

I never saw "The Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog" again until 2003 on Toon Disney. This cartoon cracked me up just as it did when I was 7. The cartoon brought back so many great memories.

Trance88

• Tails was hilarious in some episodes.

Tails was had a good acting even than he was young. I think this show was pretty funny when I was young. I like how Eggman said "I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG!!" That was the funniest part. I still love that show even it's off in our country and I think the reason why it's off it's probably because it only comes on in a diffrent Country so it's not on the United States anymore. I don't really know what Country it's coming on now, but I'm sure it is. I watch this showon Youtube all the time with my little sis and she dies laughing all the time. We actually love all the episodes that's why this show is better than Sonic x Ha ha ha ha ha lol!!
  • Sonic was a good Saturday morning cartoon that was canceled too soon.

Sonic the Hedgehog has been a wildly popular video game for a long time and some body had the idea to make it into a cartoon series. Not that this was an original idea, but show actually turned out to be a good one. The story is about Sonic and his friends who are kind of like a rebel group fighting against the tyranny of Dr. Robotnik. The stories were actually very well written for a Saturday morning cartoon of its day. The animation was good and the artwork was also good. The characters were also very well played out in the series. I miss this one.
  • This is truly a endless adventure!

my 5th review after Sonic SATam.

Unlike SATam, this show is more comedy based and each episode has it's own pilot. Sonic and Tails are brainy and clever and Robotnik and his robot sidekicks Scratch and Grounder are clumsy and their plans would always fail. It is funny and great! i give it a 9/10 with the title of I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG!
  • May want to see again

Few ep (97)
  • This is a prime example of a great cartoon.

I stumbled across this show on YouTube and immediately loved it. Then, when I came on here to see who the voice actors were, I was shocked to see Jaleel White, which made me appriciate the show even more. He did an excellent job at voicing Sonic not only on this show, but on the Saturday AM show "Sonic the Hedgehog", a show I don't particularly prefer, but that's besides the point. And every other voice actor on the show did a tremendous job as well, particularly Scratch and Grounder, who were both funny as ever. This show is very underrated and was cancelled too soon.
  • This show is absolutely excellent!

I love this show very much and I have rented a video of the Christmas special. I have a game for GBA and I also watch the one on FOX. I like this one better because I think it's an All-American classic. I was only 2 when I saw it before. This show was very unoriginal because it's about a blue hedgehog that runs around and a fox as his little brother, which is kinda cool, huh?
  • "I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG!!!!!"

I may hate all the other Sonic shows with a passion (See my Sonic X & SatAM reviews) But I love this one. This is what the Sonic series is all about. No more of this "Robotacizer" and dark storyline crap. Just lighthearted fun for everyone. (Except poor Dr. Robotnik/Eggman) This show stuck much closer to the games than SatAM, and I feel thats what more people were looking for (Or at least I was). A good thing about this one is, unlike the other Sonic shows, Tails actually got to do something a couple times Such as in "Grounder the Genius" Where Tails saves Sonic instead of vise-versa. The best thing about this show is really this..................SCRATCH & GROUNDER!!!!! These guys were the greatest!! They had the best sound effects. Grounder's treads and Scratch's laugh were the best of all. Now for the bad. If you read my other Sonic show reviews, you'd know I HATE the whole "Mobius" concept. However, in this show, Mobius plays a very minor part in the series, unlike the other ones which is good. The only other bad thing was the animation was rather sub-par, especially in the first episode. But other than those two factors, this show was great, and I recommend it to all. Oh yes..........."I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog is a funny, wacky and potential animated show. The backgrounds, designs and voices are irresistible and this show has not a disguise point to imitate Looney Tunes. Not like "you know what"!

Aah! Why forget already The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog? This show feature Sonic, but in a diffrent format than the video games and his sidekick and my personal favorite character Tails (most know as Miles Tails Prower), still ready to a new adventure and help his friends to defeat the Dr. Robotnik nasty plans to eliminate Sonic. Speaking of Dr. Robotnik, the Robotnik in the series is most better than a most real Eggman from Sonic X (he's maybe nasty, but not fool in the X per example). He's just a stupid and jerk man try too to defeat Sonic with all of his ridiculous plans helped with his two robots accomplices, but this two are not very bright, not more bright than Robotnik.

Nowadays, a show like Adventures of Sonic the Hedghehog is very essential. At my opinion, the style is unique and the characters is not just coarse stereotypes, he's charming and often try to help their friends. The voice cast of the series are just for a show like this: Brillant and awesome. And i love also the Sonic Says segments, a very potential segment because Sonic give advices for the safety of his friends and they have with this a very longtime a good example for childrens.

In occurence, this show airing in same time than i watch some of my real favorite animated shows like Bonkers, Goof Troop, The Flintstones and maybe least the ABC's Saturday morning cartoons of Sonic the Hedgehog
  • To all my friends, please read. I am banned again. So don't freak out if I'm not at the forums for a while. Apparently, I went to a show that I was not aware that Gislef was the editor of. So he must have banned me again. It really sucks.

To all my friends, please read:

I am banned again. So don't freak out if I'm not at the forums for a while. Apparently, I went to a show that I was not aware that Gislef was the editor of. So he must have banned me again. It really sucks. I didn't do anything bad on this account, but he doesn't care. So I will have to make a new account, called...systemax, if its available, I'll keep you updated. Please be aware that when banned, you also can't access your blogs, so posting there is pointless. I also cannot check PM's, so don't do that either.
  • Man they should have put more episodes

this show is very good I wish they had put more episodes that was not a very good time to end, I wish they could at least make another sonic show just like this it's just an awesome show!
  • This is the first cartoon based on the Sonic series. It was my favorite Sonic cartoon before "Sonic X".

This is the first cartoon that Sonic the Hedgehog starred in. It is WAY better than the other two Sonic cartoons by Dic Animations, because the other two Sonic cartoons ever made ("Sonic the Hedgehog" and "Sonic Underground") had absolutely nothing to do with the video games. The reason I like Sonic a lot is because he is a great video game hero. And just like in the games, the show has him and his best friend, Tails, going on adventures while stopping Dr. Robotnik from trying to take over the world. In this show, Dr. Robotnik has three robots that help him try to do his dirty work for him. The robots are: Scratch (a tall, thin robotic chicken), Grounder (a tunneling robot that was an enemy from "Sonic the Hedgehog 2"), and Coconuts (a robotic monkey that was also an enemy from "Sonic the Hedgehog 2"). This show only has minimal flaws, yet it is worth watching.
< 1 2