The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog

(ended 1993)

Kennymacdougall

The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog Fan Reviews (57)

• This is truly a endless adventure!

my 5th review after Sonic SATam.

Unlike SATam, this show is more comedy based and each episode has it's own pilot. Sonic and Tails are brainy and clever and Robotnik and his robot sidekicks Scratch and Grounder are clumsy and their plans would always fail. It is funny and great! i give it a 9/10 with the title of I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG!
  • May want to see again

Few ep (97)
  • (Title got removed by Julius Robotink)

My most favorite sonic show! It's kid friendly, all the beautiful colors,sonic and tails running around stopping the badniks scratch and grounder. I like all the chilidog jokes. Jaleel Whites voices fits sonic perfectly!
  • Man they should have put more episodes

this show is very good I wish they had put more episodes that was not a very good time to end, I wish they could at least make another sonic show just like this it's just an awesome show!
  • The only true Sonic show.

Sonic running like hell, with his pal Miles and defeating Robotnik and his evil plans. I don't know how the other Sonic shows was anything else then this. Because this is the true Sonic the Hedgehog.

The show is pretty funny too, and this will atleast give you a little smile when watching it. All the shows are heartwarming and this reminds me how much Sonic Shows have gone downhill. SaTaM was the last we saw of the real Sonic. Sonic Underground presented a storyline about how Sonic was borned, but he didn't trust 100% on his speed, and used guitars and crap. Not Sonic. Not even close. Also, Tails where nowhere in Underground. Totaly failure.

Sonic X were a bit more acceptable, now when Sonic ran alot, like he should. But it now, all the sudden, Sonic ran on Earth. Totaly failure. Also, nobody likes Chris.

Maybe this show was a bit too cartoony, but it was all fun at the same time. Hope some producer or SEGA remembers this show and makes something close to it, because this is a classic show.
  • I saw this show on YouTube, and this show was really funny! Why did they cancel it on the same year it was premiered?

Out of all the Sonic shows I have seen, I have never seen anything like this! A classic Sonic cartoon with an ugly, but funny looking, Dr. Robotnik with his two robot Scratch and Grounder, who always screw up, and Jaleel White (a.k.a. Steve Urkel) playing the voice of Sonic! This is probably the funniest thing I have ever seen in my entire life! The only question is, why did the TV broadcasting system take away this show in 1993, the same year it was produced. When I grow up, I'm gonna sue them for canceling really good shows like Sonic X, Robot Jones, and other classics. Overall, I gave it 2 thumbs up, no, 10 thumbs way up high beyond Pluto.
  • Nothing too special, but it's not that bad.

5.5
    "Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog" is the 1st animated TV show to be based on the popular Sonic the Hedgehog video game series, wich is considered to be Sega's answer to Nintendo's Mario. And like Mario, this cartoon was produced by DiC Entertainment (the producers of "Inspector Gadget", "Heathcliff", and the later episodes of "Alvin and the Chipmunks"). While the Mario cartoons were pretty close to the games (excluding Mario World), this show wasn't. The Sonic games were about an evil scientist taking animals and turning them into his robot slaves, in order for him to take over the world and remake it in his image. This show was pure insanity! It was pretty much just a blue hedgehog and a two-tailed fox running around, eating chili dogs and stopping Robotnik's minions Scratch and Grounder. And why Robotnik was evil was never given an explanation in this show. Really, this version of him isn't even smart. Dr. Robotnik is supposed to be a genius, in this show he was an idiotic fool, who failed at everything, and made Patrick Star look intellectual. Robotnik's only sign of intelligence at all is his ability to build robots. And the way he builds them doesn't make any sense at all. This show was basically just a rip-off of the Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner shorts. But this show was fun to watch. It wasn't funny at all, it was extremely repetetive and predictable, and sometimes it was cheesier than "Full House" and "Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers" put together. However it was entertaining. It's mainly just a fun show to watch to pass time. It's not very good, but it's not horrible. Deep inside I want to say this show is awful, but I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it. Because it was pretty fun. And the voice acting was great. The voice actors for Scratch, Grounder and Tails weren't amazing, but Long John Baldry was a good choice for this goofy version of Robotnik, and Jaleel White (Steve Urkel) is still the best Sonic. Yes I said it. He's better than Ryan Drummond (Sonic's video game voice from 1999-2004). I didn't even like Ryan Drummond as Sonic. He made him sound too bland, boring and simple, while Jaleel White was not only a better actor, but he made Sonic sound how he was supposed to act. Like a teenager who likes to break the rules, have fun and do what he wants. Jaleel really did a good job putting that into Sonic's voice. While Ryan Drummond made him sound like just a boring, average hero, and had none of the attitude and impatientness Jaleel put there, and that's the kind of guy Sonic was originally imagined as. Jason Griffith (Sonic's voice on "Sonic X" and the games from 2005-2010) made Sonic sound too boring, emotionless, and nasal. And Roger Smith (Sonic's current voice actor on the games) is pretty good, but not quite as good as Jaleel White. Well, Scratch and Grounder were annoying, Robotnik was a pathetic excuse for a villain, Tails was helpless and always the one getting kidnapped, the scripts were repetetive and predictable, the animation was sloppy, the show was crazier than "Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat", "Space Ghost: Coast to Coast" and "Bobobo-bo-bobobo" all put together, but it was fun and entertaining, and a good way to pass time, but not what I'd call a classic, and I don't plan on buying the DVDs. Rating: 57% "Average"

Not too good, but not that bad either. However it was somewhat entertaining, but I would not call it a classic, and it's pretty much only fun when you're really bored.

-Cartoon King
  • I wish this show wasn't taken off so soon

Out of all the Sonic shows that were ever made, this is by far the funniest. AoSTH is about everyone's favorite blue hedgehog, Sonic, and his pal Tails. Together they face Dr. Robotnik and his henchmen robots, Scratch and Grounder. So the show stays true to the game's premise, and it got better. Each episode was about Robotnik trying to take over Mobius, and each episode is very funny. The epsiodes had excellent slap stick humor that got better with each episode and never fails to impress. I love how the show does a reference to Loony Toons with Scratch and Grounder chasing Sonic and laying traps, and it was a great reference to Wile E. Coyote. I also loved how funny Robotnik could be and act so over the top and constanly say "I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG!" it was so amusing. Sonic is also hilarious with his antics and amusing ways to defeat Robotnik. Scratch and Grounder were by far my favorite though. They were always bickering at each other and being so dumb, that it was hilarious. Tails was great in this show as well, and was the least wacky character in this show. The artwork is great and hasn't aged badly at all and the animation is great, but it does get repetitive as same animation scenes are used again a lot. At the end, we are treated to a segment called Sonic Says. it was Sonic giving a moral message to kids like not running away, or not cheating. It was a decent way to try to teach kids lessons, but I doubt any of them listened and were more into seeing Sonic instead. I really wish this show didn't get canceled so soon and DIC give it another chance, but thankfully it's on DVD and Youtube now so you can see this show. Even if you aren't a sonic fan, this is a great show to see.
  • A show that would of been better as a laughing joke to the Sonic games.

Its pretty easy to see why they changed this show with the larger cast and much darker and continuing story of the SatAM series. This show was far too comical to deal with the very real motive that Sonic the Hedgehog has on people. And that is freedom and what people are willing to do to get it. It was funny, I'll give it that, but Sonic's WHOLE attitude wasn't fully realized here. The characters were given an overhaul with this one and it was welcomed, but I don't ever believe that Sonic thought that Tails was an annoying nuisence. Robotnik's 'Master plans' in this one truly poke fun at his immaturity, but he really is a very clever planner. In SatAM, this was fully realized and captured, actually making him a major threat rather than a walking joke.
  • I'd say it's truly what die-hard Sonic fans want out of our lil' blue blur.Honestly,(even though he wasn't created yet)I think Knuckles could make the show little bit better.

Ok,you know the drill.It's good ol' Sonic and Tails getting into trouble every now and any other episode made.I enjoy how the characters can be very imaginative.Sure,the only REAL Sonic characters are Eggman,Sonic and Tails.Though ya get used to it.Now Grounder and Scratch,they are the real people if you want to see good comedy.I solute you,AOSTH!!!
  • this show is based on the SEGA game Sonic. It is about a hedgenog: Sonic and his friends saving the good.

1.2
    The arcade game is sooo much better then the show. the animation is a little weird. The characthers look fake and the plots in the t v show are not that good. i prefer the game 2127389749875043759076947690767 percent more then the t v show.
    the show is so unoriginal also.. because it takes the concept of the game which is really good and then makes it this thing.
    one good thing is i think they stopped showing this on t v which means in order to watch this not good show you would have to rent the dvd

watch it if you want but i do not like it at all.....
  • I remember watching this show before in the past and I have only actually seen a few episodes. Now that I watch these episodes on You Tube, compared to Sonic X, all I could say is "Yep, this is definetly the old Sonic."

7.9
    Now that cartoon history is loaded with new television shows, I sort of missed this one and I have forgotten how much fun it is to watch it. It's very heart warming and encouraging for anyone who values friendship as this show portrays a very close friendship between Sonic and Tails, compared to Sonic X where unfortunately their friendship is slowly fading away. Times have not only changed for friendship but also the animation. Characters today are more bold and 3 dimensional in different Sonic shows. However, this series provides a simple message coming from the characters' personalities. Sonic always being praised by the citizens of Mobius might seem biased often, however, nonetheless; this series is fun to watch for all ages. The comedy of this series might seem a bit old fashioned, but it brings back memories to see the old Sonic and Tails. Also, what brings more entertainment to this series is the mishaps that a chubby villain named Dr. Ivo Robotnik faces, along with the SSSSS Squad. There's Scratch; a robot chicken who is the leader of the team, with his stupid antics, but bright ideas for traps which always backfire. Then, there is Grounder; a tank shaped robot who is naive and gullible and like Scratch, can not see through Sonic's disguises, however occasionally keeps the robot chicken on track, when he feels there is a plan B. Lastly, there is Coconuts; a somewhat lovable robot monkey who surprisingly doesn't even get respect from his boss and who has been on sanitation patrol since the day Scratch and Grounder were invented. I know that the series has ended for some time now, but I only wish that it could be renewed.
  • Cartoon King's review of Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog.

4.5
    Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog is the first animated TV show based on SEGA's Sonic the Hedgehog video game series. It premiered in 1993 and was in syndication since it's first episode. Jaleel White (Steve Urkel) voiced Sonic in this show, and he did a great job at his voice he suited the character perfectly. And luckily he voiced him in the two other Sonic cartoons too, but he sadly didn't get to voice him in the games yet. (and he probably never will either) The show was produced by DiC Entertainment (the same company who created Inspector Gadget, and Heathcliff) and they later created Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic Underground. This show is very childish in comparison to the other two Sonic cartoons. For example in the other two shows Dr. Robotnik is evil and has already taken over mobius. In this show he is a fat moron who can't do anything and is almost as horrible of a villain as Swiper the Fox from Dora the Explorer. And at least Snivley was a good sidekick villain for Robotnik, Scratch and Grounder are annoying and can't do anything. The Sonic Says segments are useless and annoying. Seriously who wants to hear Sonic talk to kids about smoking and drinking? And another thing why is Sonic such a jerk in this show? I know he's supposed to have an attitude and everything but they really exagerrated it in this show. Also Sonic's supposed to go on dangerous and exciting adventures. In this show his adventures are boring. In the other shows and games Robotnik comes up with good plans and turns animals into evil robots. In this show he is Wile E. Coyote and Sonic is the Road Runner. Not that there's anything wrong with Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner shorts, I'm just saying that I don't want to see that in a Sonic cartoon. The people of Mobius are supposed to be animals. In this show even though Sonic and Tails are animals I've seen alot of people in the backgrounds who were things like: baloons and hot dogs!? The plots are stupid and make no sense and this show is one of the most twisted cartoon shows of all time and I don't mean that in a good way. The Ren & Stimpy Show and SpongeBob SquarePants are twisted in a good way. This show is twisted in a horrible way! But at least it's not as horrible as Sonic X. Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog is a horrible cartoon show. Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic Underground are obviously way better shows. I would only reccomend this show for kids who are between the ages of 3 and 9 years old. Or people who love Sonic so much that they won't admit to anything he's in being horrible.

RATING: 4.6/10 (Mediocre)
  • This wasn't the best Sonic show DIC ever did, but it was funny to say the least.

AOSTH was a show IMO that could have bombed big time had it not been for one thing, and that was the comedy.

The comedy in this show was so funny, its what kept me tuned in.

Let's face it, the villains in this show were just downright pathetic. Dr. Robotnik couldn't conquer his own backyard if he tried. He was just that lame.

And let's not forget he has 2, no, make that 3 idiots messing up any good plans he comes up with time and time again. Why on Mobius couldn't they figure out Sonic's disguises, especially when his blue quills and face was clearly visible every now and then? Are they that brainless?

I mean, I know it made the show funny. And yet, its like, c'mon, no one's that's stupid!

Another thing this show had was excellent voice actors. Dr. Robotnik's voice actor sounded perfect for this show, arrogant and boastful. I even liked Scratch and Grounder's. Yes, they were annoying, but so funny at the same time.

Hey, even the gals Sonic interacted with were well thought up. Even though I don't like the idea of Sonic being such a flirt, it made the show. Gals like Roxy Raccoon, Breezie, Merna and Miss Possum were very likable characters, though I don't know why they had to give Miss Possum those net things on her legs. This was supposed to be a kid's show after all. Finally, the Sonic says were pretty lame, yet a bit humorous at the same time. I mean, Sonic is not exactly the best role model for kids, but I guess I can't blame DIC for trying.

To wrap this up, AOSTH was an OK show. Not because it was original and well thought, but it accomplished what it was trying to be, and that was a slapstick comedy.
  • This worthless TV Show translation doesn't seem to match the popularity of the original game.

3.5
    When I was more of a sonic lover at age 4 in 1999 (now a hater at age 12 today in 2008), I heard this was airing on Toon Disney at the time. Sadly, I wasted too much time in my life and couldn't see a single episode. Now it is being used in YouTube Poops and websites everywhere, and I finally saw some of it. I was very disappointed. "Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog" was originally offered to ABC for Saturday morning broadcasting. But because ABC executives found the series to be lacking in plot and animation, ABC told DiC to scrap it and work on another Sonic cartoon. Its replacement was the second series, Sonic the Hedgehog.

Sonic is voiced by Jaleel White, and was mentioned as Sonic's most embarrassing moment in an EGA issue.

The Sonic Says messages at the end of each episode just washes away his cool.

In the episode "Pseudo Sonic", Sonic and Tails(?) went to a flower bed with someone named "Rat". They had some sort of allergic reaction and it inflated their bodies.

In the episode "Mass Transit Trouble", Robotnik plants bombs at three of Mobius' centers of transport (an airport, a lighthouse and a railway station), threatening to cause chaos unless Sonic can effectively be in three places at once. This episode was later banned from Toon Disney airings due to the 9/11 attacks. Now that's superiorly offensive to Americans.

Planet Mobius is in a rather weird and futuristic setting, other than just entirely tree from Sonic SatAM.

If you're looking for action and excitement, this is the wrong show to watch.

I don't want any hate comments about this review. This my opinion about it as a Sonic hater. Watch it and see for yourself, but I wouldn't recommend doing so.
  • Sonic at his best. This show is amazing. My friends and I love to see sonic and his friends get in all sorts of mischeif. Although the graphics aren't quite as good, that's what it was in 1993.

Sonic at his best. This show is amazing. My friends and I love to see sonic and his friends get in all sorts of mischeif. Although the graphics aren't quite as good, that's what it was in 1993. I am glad to see that these have been re-released on to dvds. I love seeing Sonic, Tails, and the gang on my tv. This is a great show for people of all ages (recommened for kids). Right now I own all the dvds that have came out and I cant stop watching them. The only problem I've found is the voices sometimes don't match up. I say if your a fan of the games, then this is the show for you.
  • This is a prime example of a great cartoon.

I stumbled across this show on YouTube and immediately loved it. Then, when I came on here to see who the voice actors were, I was shocked to see Jaleel White, which made me appriciate the show even more. He did an excellent job at voicing Sonic not only on this show, but on the Saturday AM show "Sonic the Hedgehog", a show I don't particularly prefer, but that's besides the point. And every other voice actor on the show did a tremendous job as well, particularly Scratch and Grounder, who were both funny as ever. This show is very underrated and was cancelled too soon.
  • Sonic was a good Saturday morning cartoon that was canceled too soon.

Sonic the Hedgehog has been a wildly popular video game for a long time and some body had the idea to make it into a cartoon series. Not that this was an original idea, but show actually turned out to be a good one. The story is about Sonic and his friends who are kind of like a rebel group fighting against the tyranny of Dr. Robotnik. The stories were actually very well written for a Saturday morning cartoon of its day. The animation was good and the artwork was also good. The characters were also very well played out in the series. I miss this one.
  • Tails was hilarious in some episodes.

Tails was had a good acting even than he was young. I think this show was pretty funny when I was young. I like how Eggman said "I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG!!" That was the funniest part. I still love that show even it's off in our country and I think the reason why it's off it's probably because it only comes on in a diffrent Country so it's not on the United States anymore. I don't really know what Country it's coming on now, but I'm sure it is. I watch this showon Youtube all the time with my little sis and she dies laughing all the time. We actually love all the episodes that's why this show is better than Sonic x Ha ha ha ha ha lol!!
  • I don't care what they say. AoSTH is the first Sonic TV Cartoon series, and one of the classic toons eva!

Can you imagine if they made a Sonic cartoon? You know, based on a game from Sega? It was greatness. And I'll say it 4 more times, greatness, greatness, greatness, greatness. I know it's great. I like Scratch & Grounder the best.

But, notice, can you belive the phenominal video game mascots have to go on TV? Well, yeah. This is what I liked. I like DiC Sonic cartoons. I love Sonic cartoons, but Sonic X, an anime from 4Kids TV, killed it. I want AoSTH back! I loved AoSTH when I was 7 and through today. Bring it back right now! I love this show.
  • Adventures was a great show in itself, it delivered to it's audience well and kept its entertainment factor high and in quality.

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog was probably one of the mainliners of when I was growing up, but then I probably still preferred the other Sonic lineup (SatAM). With that, this was a grand show that delivered it's fun vibe while keeping a slight educational morality with every episode. This is noted when one recounts seeing the little 'lesson of the day' at every end of an episode. The Recurring Characters were great and acted perfectly by their Voice Actors. DiC truly helped mainline a true Classic.

Perhaps, when you compare this and SatAM to the later Sonic-based shows. They really fail in comparison. A DVD of this show belongs in your DVD / VHS library.

Definitely.
  • This is the first cartoon based on the Sonic series. It was my favorite Sonic cartoon before "Sonic X".

This is the first cartoon that Sonic the Hedgehog starred in. It is WAY better than the other two Sonic cartoons by Dic Animations, because the other two Sonic cartoons ever made ("Sonic the Hedgehog" and "Sonic Underground") had absolutely nothing to do with the video games. The reason I like Sonic a lot is because he is a great video game hero. And just like in the games, the show has him and his best friend, Tails, going on adventures while stopping Dr. Robotnik from trying to take over the world. In this show, Dr. Robotnik has three robots that help him try to do his dirty work for him. The robots are: Scratch (a tall, thin robotic chicken), Grounder (a tunneling robot that was an enemy from "Sonic the Hedgehog 2"), and Coconuts (a robotic monkey that was also an enemy from "Sonic the Hedgehog 2"). This show only has minimal flaws, yet it is worth watching.
  • This show is awesome, one of the best Sonic cartoons ever!

This show has to be one of the best I have ever seen. Lots of great humour and fun episodes, AoStH has to be my favourite Sonic cartoon with SatAM a very close second. I love the close bonding between Sonic and Tails in this series, it was so cute! Robotnik was really funny and so were Scratch and Grounder. Coconuts was great too! Most of the episodes are very enjoyable and there are many memorable moments in this show which made me laugh a lot. This show was very creative and used a few game elements which I liked. I don't understand why it was cancelled the year it first aired, it's a shame since this cartoon is definitely one of my favourites along with Sonic the Hedgehog (SatAM) and The Super Mario Bros. Super Show. I even have the complete DVD and I'm very glad!! This definitely has a place on my shelf.
  • this show is so fuuny i always laugh when i watch it i think this is the best sonic the hedgehog show.

this sonic show is probably the funniest cartoon ever it was made in 1993 and it is so funny im surprised sonic was in a comedy show. all of the episodes are so funny. robotnick is a vilan but he is the funniest in the show along with his two robot serents grounder and scratch.sonic is funny on it to the episode i think is the funniest is big daddy because its very funny and it never gets boring.

this show is probably the funnist cartoon ever and it should carry on getting made it is so funny well done.
  • Best Show Ever!

I always loved this classic Sonic cartoon. Dr. Robotnik looks different in this show, and I like it. This show potrays Scratch and Grounder as Wile E. Coyote and Sonic as Road Runner because the dumbbots are always failing to catch Sonic one time too many. The best episodes are Magnificent Sonic, Robotnikland, Hedgehog of the Hound Table, The Magic Hassle, Best Hedgehog, Robotnik Jr., Sno Problem and Sonic's Song. I didn't expect this show to take place in some planet called Mobius. The animation in each episode looks really cool. The best part about the show is when Robotnik always yells out "I hate that hedgehog!" That catchphrase is music to my ears even though I like Sonic. I love this cartoon next to Garfield and Friends.
  • This show is based off of the classic Sonic games and it's got alot of good moments.

When I was young, I grew up with the Sonic games (mostly 'Sonic the Hedgehog 2') and I've always wanted to see a Sonic tv series. When I was 9, I started watching Toon Disney and I saw that this was on Toon Disney. I watched it every night it was on but sometimes I accedentally missed it but not much. I kept watching it every night until one day, Toon Disney moved it to a time where I was usually sleeping then finally they took it off. I miss watching this cartoon every night. I do watch it on YouTube sometimes. I'm glad that this tv series is going to be coming to DVD boxsets. This is the best Sonic cartoon I've ever known! I even like it more then 'Sonic X'. I think Scratch and Grounder the most hilaious charactors in Sonic history. Another thing that makes this cartoon my favorite Sonic cartoon is that Tails is in every episode and he is always Sonic's sidekick. I know he got captured by Robotnik alot but he's also had a few episodes of his own.
  • Awsome show.

Sega used Sonic The Hedgehog to replace Alex Kidd as Sega's mascot by replacing the Genesis' first bundled game, Altered Beast with 1991's, Sonic The Hedgehog. Sonic had more attitude than Nintendo's mascot, Mario, Sonic was fast, he would tap his foot impatiently if you stop, and his games were more fast-pased than Mario's games.

Around the time after Sonic 2 was released in 1992 Sonic had his own TV show, The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog now featuring Sonic's new sidekick, Tails. The show introduces Dr. Robotnik's new robots, Scratch and Grounder who are very funny because they act very stupidly. The episodes are fun to watch, and I am very exited about the DVD release in July.
  • Sonic the Hedgehog had a cartoon! That's right kids, and it was great

I loved watching this show. Each episodd made me laugh. Sonic really liked chill cheese dogs. That's the best part about the show too! I also liked how Tails would give you tips on how to be safe too. I liked the show because of the setting, nd where they were. They always defeated Eggman and his 2 robots (whos anme I forget) I really want them to bring the show back. It's much better than the new one. Hopefully it's on DVD somewhere. If you never saw this show before. Well, try to find it because it's a great show. Hope you enjoyed my review, and I rate the show a 8/10.
  • Awesome cartoon

This is a wonderful series it's like an old fashioned Looney Tunes cartoon starring the road runnner and the coyote..bottom line perfect series which should still be on Tv or at least on DVD. It sucks that it wasn't a Saturday Morning Cartoon like SatAM...ABC made a big mistake when they rejected it.
  • Sonic is so freakin cool

I used to buy Sonic the Hedgehog Comics and draw Sonic characters, I just thought the Sonic characters were so cool. And I think tails is one of the most adorable, cutest characters ever created. I did then, and I still do now. And Princess Sally is a cool character as well. Unlike most princesses, instead of being the " Damsel " type, she was smart and brave. I didn't really like the voice choice they chose for Sonic though. It was just never the voice I pictured him in.