The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog

(ended 1993)

Kennymacdougall

The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog Fan Reviews (57)

• Nothing too special, but it's not that bad.

5.5
    "Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog" is the 1st animated TV show to be based on the popular Sonic the Hedgehog video game series, wich is considered to be Sega's answer to Nintendo's Mario. And like Mario, this cartoon was produced by DiC Entertainment (the producers of "Inspector Gadget", "Heathcliff", and the later episodes of "Alvin and the Chipmunks"). While the Mario cartoons were pretty close to the games (excluding Mario World), this show wasn't. The Sonic games were about an evil scientist taking animals and turning them into his robot slaves, in order for him to take over the world and remake it in his image. This show was pure insanity! It was pretty much just a blue hedgehog and a two-tailed fox running around, eating chili dogs and stopping Robotnik's minions Scratch and Grounder. And why Robotnik was evil was never given an explanation in this show. Really, this version of him isn't even smart. Dr. Robotnik is supposed to be a genius, in this show he was an idiotic fool, who failed at everything, and made Patrick Star look intellectual. Robotnik's only sign of intelligence at all is his ability to build robots. And the way he builds them doesn't make any sense at all. This show was basically just a rip-off of the Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner shorts. But this show was fun to watch. It wasn't funny at all, it was extremely repetetive and predictable, and sometimes it was cheesier than "Full House" and "Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers" put together. However it was entertaining. It's mainly just a fun show to watch to pass time. It's not very good, but it's not horrible. Deep inside I want to say this show is awful, but I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it. Because it was pretty fun. And the voice acting was great. The voice actors for Scratch, Grounder and Tails weren't amazing, but Long John Baldry was a good choice for this goofy version of Robotnik, and Jaleel White (Steve Urkel) is still the best Sonic. Yes I said it. He's better than Ryan Drummond (Sonic's video game voice from 1999-2004). I didn't even like Ryan Drummond as Sonic. He made him sound too bland, boring and simple, while Jaleel White was not only a better actor, but he made Sonic sound how he was supposed to act. Like a teenager who likes to break the rules, have fun and do what he wants. Jaleel really did a good job putting that into Sonic's voice. While Ryan Drummond made him sound like just a boring, average hero, and had none of the attitude and impatientness Jaleel put there, and that's the kind of guy Sonic was originally imagined as. Jason Griffith (Sonic's voice on "Sonic X" and the games from 2005-2010) made Sonic sound too boring, emotionless, and nasal. And Roger Smith (Sonic's current voice actor on the games) is pretty good, but not quite as good as Jaleel White. Well, Scratch and Grounder were annoying, Robotnik was a pathetic excuse for a villain, Tails was helpless and always the one getting kidnapped, the scripts were repetetive and predictable, the animation was sloppy, the show was crazier than "Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat", "Space Ghost: Coast to Coast" and "Bobobo-bo-bobobo" all put together, but it was fun and entertaining, and a good way to pass time, but not what I'd call a classic, and I don't plan on buying the DVDs. Rating: 57% "Average"

Not too good, but not that bad either. However it was somewhat entertaining, but I would not call it a classic, and it's pretty much only fun when you're really bored.

-Cartoon King