The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic Breakout

Aired Weekdays 12:00 PM Nov 02, 1993 on

7.2
  • Before there was "Prison Break", there was "Sonic the Hedgehog".

"Sonic Breakout" is subsequently a satirical comedy, a hot chase, a breakout story, before going on with another hot chase and finally end in a comical way. And all of these elements put altogether work very well.

When Dr. Robotnik discovers that the latest issue of the comics magazine "Cracks Up" (a rather ironic name when you think about Robotnik, aka Eggman) makes fun of him by presenting him as some kind of Humpty Dumpty-like figure (another ironic reference), the scientist gets the Big Bird-like comic writer Sketch Lampoon captured and imprisoned inside his new prison.

Sonic and Tails go to Lampoon's rescue. Once again, Sonic devises a plan and thinks that letting himself captured, he would be able to free Lampoon more easily. However, his plan quickly misfires when Robotnik learns him that he gets a very special cell. The kind of cell that makes Alcatraz looking like a ride in the park.

This is the kind of scenario that we like in series like "Sonic". The kind of scenario that forces the hero to use even more of his tricks and his intelligence in order to achieve his mission. This is also the kind of scenario that leads to surprises. Because honestly, before that twist, I couldn't figure how the episode would prolong itself to twenty minutes.

Let's think screenwriter Douglas Zip Purgason (a name that seems to come from a comic book) for that smart, surprising and entertaining story. Purgason includes everything we like in that series: humor and very funny moments, suspense, speed, action and a fair amount of drama, without falling into melo.

There are still some flaws on the animation's level. The main problem here is a continuity one, when the sea's colour drastically changes from red to green before turning back to red.

But globally, this is one of the funniest episodes of the series and the kind we love to watch again for its numerous strong moments.
  • One of the best episodes!

This is one of my all time favorite episodes of AoStH! It is one of the most hilarious episodes of the series! A cartoonist that makes a comic book series makes fun of Dr. Robotnik and it makes him very angry so he puts him in his new dungion he made. There's alot of hilarious things in this episode like Scratch and Grounder being crazy for the 'Crack Ups' comic books, how Sonic and Tails tease Robotnik, etc. Everyone was hilarious in this episode. I also love how Dr. Robotnik in the comic book plays Humpty Dumpty and how he says "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!" like Steve Urcle does in 'Familly Matters'. XD I'm glad this was one of the episodes that DIC released on video. Hopefully some day it will be on DVD too!