Adventures of Superman

(ended 1958)

mrdivot

Adventures of Superman Fan Reviews (29)

• The classic superhero show: an invulnerable hero with a secret identity, a clear-cut line between good people and evil, a single means to destroy the hero, and 104 imaginative ways that one might devise to defeat him.

I wonder what role Superman would have today if he were real.

To begin with, he would have no secret identity, for Clark Kent would be investigated time after time as our government would demand to know more about the link he has to Superman.

And I wonder if society would accept the presence of a superhero. More likely, he would be the subject of suspicion, notwithstanding his track record in fighting crime.

And I fear he'd be a liability in crime prevention: Few of his crime-solving exploits would lead to convictions, as the bad guys lean more and more on their constitutional protections against Superman's techniques. For finding loopholes to justify criminal behavior has BECOME "The American Way."

But I'm thankful for the fantasy that the producers of the show brought to our televisions. It was an immensely fun show to watch.