We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Afro Samurai Forums

Spike TV (ended 2008)

5 Things Afro Samurai needs to become a truly -Great- game

hightimes420

[1]Jun 13, 2007
    • level: 1

Hey all, joined this site just in the hops that some designers might do their homework by browsing around forums, and maybe come across this.

I realize that there have been alot of spin off games from other animated shows out there, and while I dont watch most the animes to begin with (cant really stand the whole cutesy **** most of them are full of) I have noticed that the games made, dont even measure up to the already (in my opinion) bad anime show.

Afro Samurai is a different story though, here is a chance to create a truly superb game, the story is easily set out, and the backbone of the game has already been made- (Get second fighter band, fight your way through many trials to the top of a mountain, take the number 1 headband, laugh it up)- when I saw this show, the first thing I thought was.. this could be an amazing game.

That being said, I would be MAJORLY disappointed if they ruin this for a cash in, go ruin The alchemist(again) or Pokemon, or something equally bleh. and for that reason, Im going to list the 5 Major things this game needs to have in order to stand with the best of them.

1-Stylized Cell shaded graphics-

this game would be perfect with gritty cell-shaded graphics, I think they would add to the atmosphere nicely, recreating the shows look. Im not a programmer personally, and don't know if there's something better out atm, but case in point, -make the game look exactly like the show-

2-Non-linear elements-

In my opinion every game needs this, but especially in this one, where the story is linear in nature already. This could be achieved by allowed the player to begin as a child (good setup for getting used to game-play and training at the dojo) where he sneaks out and looks for the second headband, leading up to finding it on his master. (lots of quest opportunity here as well, just don't make it straight-cut, try to recreate the experience of hunting around, with multiple paths to finding it on the master, or whoever actually has it if they decide not to recreate the shows plot)

3-M rating, if not higher-

Ok this should make sense. This show is not for children, and if the game sells out by making it available to everyone, it will suffer. There should be ample swearing (not by the Samurai though, hes to cool to lower himself to that) gore, explicit death,decapitations, and even nudity if they can put it in without cheapening it as a gimmick.

4-Quality-

Another no brainer, please dont rush this, use voice acting, cut-scenes, and an excellent physics engine. Make the fighting flow intuitively, with the simple deadly attacks that samurais are trained in, plus the style of Afro Samurai. Lots of opportunities to make this the best sword fighting game out there since Way of the Samurai 1.

5-Lemonade-

mm ice cold lemonade. Ok ill be honest, i may have gone outside for a breath of 'fresh air' and forgotten the last one. will have to come back and add it later.

so thats it for now, lets get a discussion going on what other people would like to see in this game. and let me know if there's a better forum to put this on to get the developers in on the discussion. We all love this show, lets make the game just as memorable.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

scott_naylor

[2]Jul 29, 2007
    • level: 11

You raised some interesting points about what the afro samuari game should have in it. But I can name lots of games that are already very simular. For me the strength in the game is the simplicity of the afro samuari premise by which i mean, you collect the next headband up, until your are number 1.

If I were to create this game based on the Afro Samurai IP, I would be very keen to stay true to the series whilst trying to expand on the IP with secondary character side line storys / quests. You mentioned that the missions should be free roaming, (like GTA) this is a fairly standard content delivery device now and I would strongly suggest that you consider mixing the free roaming gameplay with specific linear sections. This will keep the end user on his toes. This can work very will for very visual games and that is nothing wrong with it.. check out the QTR fights in Shenmue and you'll see what i mean.

I will breifly mention a few cool things that could be done within this IP (things that spring to mind)

CODE --
    Cell shaded 3D engine (try to achive sexy look with stylised cells)
    Real time / LOS lighting (if the character holds up a sword it casts a shadow)
    Fluid dynamic / physics (bamboo chops right, water puddles form)
    Ragdoll character death effects (standard but fun)
    Absolute object interactivity (destruction of scafolding, buildings & common objects)
    Water interaction (for epic fights in water)
    Real time character property / manipulation (so if you get an arrow in the leg up cant move as fast for example)

I could go on all day, but i dont have time

hope we see an afro samuari game soon

smokefoilage

[3]Oct 3, 2007
    • level: 8
    are they def. making this game? or is this all rumor mill stuff?
    Edited on 10/03/2007 2:26am

MBII_Dolla_Bill

[4]Oct 4, 2007
    • level: 3
    smokefoilage wrote:
    are they def. making this game? or is this all rumor mill stuff?

Nope, it's being made. Look it up on gamespot.com

MBII_Dolla_Bill

[5]Oct 4, 2007
    • level: 3

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/afrosamurai/news.html?sid=6172599&om_act=convert&om_clk=newsfeatures&tag=newsfeatures;title;1

Definitely not a kid's game, so don't worry dudes.

bendthisfire

[6]Mar 24, 2008
    • level: 11
    MBII_Dolla_Bill wrote:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/afrosamurai/news.html?sid=6172599&om_act=convert&om_clk=newsfeatures&tag=newsfeatures;title;1

Definitely not a kid's game, so don't worry dudes.

And that's part of the reason we like it so much as it breaks the bounds of western (sort of)only child animation.

Trollwrangler

[7]Dec 9, 2008
    • level: 5
    I think they must have been looking on this forum because everything I've seen of the game is EXACTLY what an Afro Samurai game should be (except it doesn't look like it'll be free-roaming like GTA, so blah). I can't wait to play this game. But first I'll need to get something more next generation than my Gamecube.