Agatha Christie's Marple

At Bertram's Hotel

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Sep 23, 2007 on ITV

7.1
  • Beautiful scenery but so disappointing for this Agatha Christie fan.

The only reason for changing the story of the original book I can see is to make it interesting for people who actually read Christie's book. Well, in my opinion, such changes are actually very disappointing to readers familiar with Agatha Christie's works. I am one of such people and I was pissed at what creators of this episode did with the original.

I think brining the book on screen without any changes would have been much better. I mean, Agatha Christie is a very well known writer around the world, her books are masterpieces. And what is Tom MacRae, writer of this episode's script, known for? Writing a book for children.

Agatha Christie was a genius. At Bertram's Hotel is an excellent book with a powerful plot which is suited for the screen as it is. Why change it?
  • A good mystery with colorful characters, fine photography, and fine script. Agatha Christie's Miss Marple in "At Bertram's Hotel" is worth seeing.

This episode is crafted with filmography worthy of a major film. The photography is excellent. The roof top scene of London is spectacular, and a trace of an alien voice through duct-work is well crafted. this episode has visual appeal.

The characters are colorful without being cartoonish. Jane, the maid, is a great foil for Miss Marple. The inspector is a sympathetic and troubled character. The suspects are varied with unique characteristics that muddle the plot and keep on guessing.

So far this is my favorite of the series.