Agatha Christie's Marple

The Body in the Library

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Dec 12, 2004 on ITV

7.4
  • Great (original) story, well acted, well filmed, great locations, authentic feel, the script-writer should be shot for his efforts.

Don\'t get me wrong, I love Agatha Christie. I\'m not just some ordinary person who does not see the point why shows should be made in a 1920-1950 setting, and I love the Christie twists. That\'s why she is the Queen of Crime.

However, any Christie fan would agree with me that this episode is an abomination. I was worried about the new actress portraying Miss. Marple, Geraldine McEwan. I didn\'t think that she could step in the same shoes as Joan Hickson. And, no, she isn\'t as good, however I was thoroughly impressed with her performance, and for that matter the performances of all of the cast.

In fact it was a well put together story. So why the 3, you\'re asking? Well, it\'s all because of Kevin Elyot, the writer behind this movie. Agatha Christie would be turning in her grave if she knew what he did to her terrific novel. He has attempted to bring the Miss. Marple series into the 21st Century, first by removing the \"Miss.\" in the title. She is known simply as \"Marple\". That\'s manageable, but I ask you this; Why do we need to bring Miss. Marple to the modern world? And anyway, in order to bring Miss. Marple, sorry \"Marple\", into the 21st century, Kevin Eloyt has altered a major twist in the plot. If you don\'t want to know anymore, stop reading here, beacuse I feel that I need to explain what happened. He changed the relationships between the characters. Instead of woman 1 being in love with man 1, woman 1 is actually in love with woman 2. Not only does this change, but this also changes the identity of the murderer. How could you possibly change the identity of the murderer? That should be a crime punishable by death.

If you are a Christie fan, avoid this film at all costs.