Agatha Christie's Marple

The Body in the Library

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Dec 12, 2004 on ITV

7.4
  • Average only - too many discrepancies for a true Christie fan and the ending is largely unforgiveable, even if it a surprise. Glad they've revived the series, but could have been better.

I was so looking forward to the new Miss Marple series (now modernised to Marple – who would ever have simply called a spinster lady Marple? I guess they could have called it Ms Marple which would have been worse!)

There are some SPOILER elements in what follows:

I was disappointed with The Body In The Library. It’s one of my favourite stories, and the crime behind it is wonderfully evil in its original design. It didn’t need tampering with to such an extent of changing one of the original murderers. OK, it was a surprise, and I was wondering why certain elements of the story were missing. I mean I know that Christie knew enough about the way of the world, and had a lot of ‘strong’ female relationships/companions in her stories, which you can read into what you will, I’m not sure she would have had the two women cavorting in so obvious a way.

One of the beauties of Agatha Christie is that you know them so well if you’re a fan, and they’re a ‘comfortable’ way of facing some very horrible situations and solving a crime that’s never meant to be a CSI or Law & Order (which are both terrific in their own ways). She writes very amusingly in lots of her works (though you have to try to forgive some of the less PC language, which reflected the time she was writing in). I like little additions to the plots and perhaps making them new to a new audience, but writing completely different endings?? I wouldn’t completely agree with jbeauchamp17 about avoiding at all costs, but if you’re expecting a true representation of the novel, you’re not going to get it.

I can just about take Geraldine McEwan as Miss Marple, though she doesn’t seem quite frail enough somehow and doesn’t bring that primness and dotty disguise that others have. The character/performance I was most disappointed in though was Joanna Lumley as Dolly Bantry. I like Joanna Lumley and she acted well, but she wasn’t Dolly Bantry, the weary, worried, not-a-clue wife of the Colonel. I guess this was the scriptwriter’s fault more than anything.

Close but no pipe tobacco…