Agatha Christie's Marple

The Body in the Library

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Dec 12, 2004 on ITV

7.4
  • A New Marple!

What a great start! Geraldine McEwan is so charming and sweet as the shrewd old lady we all love so much. I'm talking of course of Miss Marple. The supporting cast is magnificent. Joanna Lumley is funny as always as the side-kick. Jack Davenport ("Coupling") is fantastic as the Superintendent and had great chemistry with his investigation partner the fabulous Simon Callow who is truly amusing as Colonel Melchett. Tara Fitzgerald also delivers a great performance and Mary Stockley shines with her beauty and talent as Josie Turner. Only the great James Fox is wasted with little time on screen. A shame.
    The story grabs our attention from the start. The investigation moves along nicely with some funny moments and an always present mystery.
    Some people criticize the ending. Its not the same as in the book. Some consider it disrespectful. I had no problem with it. It brought some "fresh air" to the story. It surprised me while keeping the same "feel" and atmosphere of Agatha Christie's work throughout the episode.
    This is a perfect way to spend a rainy afternoon or a cozy night with a great cast and a wonderful Miss Marple played by a truly great actress.
    Don’t miss it!