Agatha Christie's Poirot

ITV (ended 2013)

TheOldBill

Agatha Christie's Poirot Fan Reviews (20)

• Christies Series 13 ??

Where can we find this in the over a hundred countries have aired it but I cannot get it and have searched for

Where or where Poirot are you?
  • The Little Four

those of you who liked this need to read the book. the book the big four is epic. true international intreage Poirot is great as always and all the charictures are wonderful to see return. the episode was great and i love Sacket and all the charicture. the story was butchered. i am so disappointed, i waited for this all year and it was totally anti climatic. really if you all really liked this that much you should read the book it blows this episode away.
  • Great programme!!!

I just love Poirot but has anyone noticed the blue car in EVERY episode? Is this on purpose?
  • One the best shows ever made. From the golden age of british tv, it's one of the most well planned and executed series ever made. The attention to detail is extraordinary.

Poirot starts with a great script, the famous Poirot novels and short stories by Agatha Christie, and manages to complete it with an excellent performance by the cast and the direction.
    Modern shows like Sopranos & co. can't even begin to achieve the quality that this show created. In fact, I'm still wondering what people find so extraordinary in modern shows, and the fact is, the only reason people watch them is because they´re new and they constantly break taboos, there's absolutely nothing more to them. Mad Men is horrible, Sopranos wasn't more than ok and the new "Crime Investigation" series, such as CSI are just schools for psychopaths.

Poirot, however, moved far beyond redundant entertainment and created something unique that made it eternal and gave it a place that no other show was able to take.

My only regret in regards to the cast in Poirot is that they haven't been used more often in other shows, in particular David Suchet (plays Hercule Poirot), since it is obvious he's a very good actor and capable of much more than incessant repeats and small (thirdiary ?) rolls.
    I give it 10 / 10.
  • A one-of-a-kind masterpiece.

A simply brilliant show. David Suchet never fails to deliver an endearing and powerful performance as Hercule Poirot, the most entertaining (mostly because he\'s so unintentionally humorous) and ingenious Belgian detective the screen has ever seen. Overall, the show balances drama, comedy, tragedy, and romance well - so just about everyone should be pleased. With a great supporting cast of Pauline Moran as the lovely Miss Lemon, Hugh Fraser as the forever-perplexed Captain Hastings, and Philip Jackson as the gruff but kind Chief Inspector Japp; \"Poirot\" really is a rare gem that'll steal your heart.
  • To sum it up: You can`t beat Poirot!

Talk about brilliance, that what this show is all about. The acting, writing and stories, all perfectly executed, you gotta love Poirot.
    The writing is so complex, you have to pay attention to every single detail and dialogs. David Suchet does an amazing job as the funny looking but yet classy Hercule Poirot.
    You can`t beat him, I`ve tried so many times, on the edge of my seat looking for the guilty , you expect something but bang, you get another.
    The plot are always superbly set up....the stories well executed, it`s almost full satisfaction most of the time. They build up amazing episodes and never let you down with the ending like so many shows does.
    Hats off, you`ve got a masterpiece here.
  • ahh these little gray cells, mon a mie!!!!

Poirot is got to be one of the best classic tv shows around. i love the character of poirot and david suchet does a great job of playing him!!!! i like the fact its set in about the 1930's, i love the costumes, cars etc. agatha christie was a great writer and the poirot stories are great. my fave at the mo (as i have not seen them all yet) is death on the nile and also murder on the orient express, however david suchet does not play poirot in the tv adaption, so it would be great if they filmed this one with him. Poirot is a great programme and i cant wait until they film the few more that is left.
  • Poirot seasons 10 and 11 - sorry to be so harsh in my rating, but it is because I love Poirot and feel very strongly about the direction it is taking.

Topic: Poirot seasons 10 and 11 - the quality of music and with it the drama. I do not propose to discuss the choices made by script writers, although there is no doubt much to be said on the subject. I feel very strongly about the quality of music (or rather the lack of it) that divides seasons 10 and 11 from the previous seasons. There's been enough mentioning of big budgets and lavish settings, so there is no excuse for a 100% digital orchestra and the monotonous diatonic characterless musical accompaniment that completely spoils the latest episodes.
    How could this happen when only recently, in season 9 (2004) we still had beautiful emotional music in '5 little pigs' and 'Death on the Nile', not to mention the older episodes, such as 'Hickory Dickory Dock' or 'Murder on the Links' that are practically brought to life by the music. Even the short episodes in seasons 1-3 and 5 are full of charm and character much owed to the beautifully crafted music. I doubt that the absence of Christopher Gunning is the only reason for this - perhaps the real reason is that producers requested a digital score to be delivered with all possible speed ? Is there no production that can resist this epidemic that sweeps the entire film industry? Poirot deserves to be an exception for the sake of continuity if nothing else.
  • I like the style of this episode and the series in general is taking. It has a mysteric athmosphere, and I think that is what they're trying to create.

If I recall it well, this is the episode where Poirot says "Mademoiselle, something ...". He said it so quickly, that I heard "Mademoiselle Something". I am not sure if they did that on purpose, or not, but for me it was a comic moment.

They do try to add humor to the series, in a way without of course turning it into a comedy.

Unfortunately they failed with miss Marple, the new one just isn't cast right !

David Suchet has done what Jeremy Brett has done with Holmes (eventhough I wonder what Downey Jr. will make of it), they are the personification of the character in the books, excellent casting was done for these 2.

The last 2 seasons were already excellent, not just a TV-series, no, they're now making 4 movies per year, since they have that quality.
  • Influential one!

7.2
    There were many one hour and somewhat less two hour episodes of the Hercule Poirot mysteries shown on PBS; and foresighted fans should have taped them then, because when A&E re-runs them, parts of each have to be removed to make room for all the commercials. Very often, the solution at the end flashbacks to scenes that we never saw because of the abridgments and frankly the value of these episodes are reduced considerably. But now Acorn Media is reissuing them in complete versions, with the two hour features on DVD and the shorter ones on VHS. Both series are a delight. The acting genius of David Suchet is enhanced by his usual supporting cast (Hugh Fraser as Hastings, Philip Jackson as Japp, and Pauline Moran as Miss Lemon), the wonderful guest casts, the done-to-perfection ambiance of time and place--the late 20s and early 30s--with all those fabulous art-deco buildings they have managed to find and populate. The first boxed set of 3 episodes contains "The Disappearance of Mr. Davenheim," "The Veiled Lady," and "The Lost Mine." In the first, you might spot a bad flaw in the solution. Hint: how long was the playing time of the average 78 rpm disc back then? The second set includes "The Cornish Mystery" (with a genuine "blonde hussy"), "Double Sin" (with a Sweet Young Thing in Distress), and "The Adventure of the Cheap Flat" (with a neat reversal on the plot of Doyle's "The Red Headed League"). And if too many solutions depend on Poirot overhearing by chance some remark early in the story, well that should teach you to be more alert to these things on future viewings. Also if Poirot is not above breaking the law with a little forced entry now and then, well so did Sherlock Holmes. Released at the same time as the DVD edition of "The ABC Murders," ;Death in the Clouds concerns a killing on an airplane during which Poirot himself is fast asleep. As in all Christie mysteries, the red herrings keep coming; but as in few Christie mysteries, not all that many characters have the opportunity to be near the victim at the right time. (Many mystery writers are fond of "the crowded murder scene" in which every character was able to reach the victim at just the right time.) And although you might feel cheated at the solution--and this one is a tad far fetched--you had so much fun up to that point that you don't really feel like carping. The ABC Murders in my opinion is one of the better Poirot mystery novels and it transfers very well to the screen. First of all do not confuse it with the horrible film "The Alphabet Murders" with Tony Randall. This is a fairly faithful adaptation of the Christie novel that has Poirot and Chief Inspector Japp chasing after a serial killer who matches the initials of his victims with the name of the town in which they are killed. And although the murderer turns out to be not exactly the least likely suspect, there are enough red herrings--one gigantic, the rest minor--to keep you guessing until the inevitable scene in which all concerned are gathered in one place to hear how the Master has solved it all There is a bit of nonsense with Hastings' stuffed souvenir of the South American jungles and the last murder is shown but its purpose is not explained as it is in the original. Very amusing sleuthing for one and all--and a very welcome relief to the grizzly "modern" mysteries now being shown with extreme close-ups, whispered dialogue, and as much gore as possible in each frame.
  • The writers, producers, and actors to a delightfully amazing job of making Christie's books come to life.

A belgium accent, stunning ability to solve crimes, and an astonishingly perfect mustache are what make Detective Hercule Poirot who he is. In my opinion, Poirot blows Sherlock Holmes out of the water any day of the week. Poirot is not only brilliant, but incredibly likable. He is surprisingly jolly for a man who solves crimes for a living and also has a sardonic wit that I have always found insanely amusing.

Plus the murders they write!

Always complicated without being unbelievable, and never creepy to the point where you can't watch. Basically the show is the number one almost noir like detective show in the air or that was ever on the air.

I can't wait to see Poirot and Holmes throw down.

Can ya dig it? =]
  • Exquisite funny looking man with grey cells of a sage.

Poirot is a very good show and if I have never read Agatha Christie`s novels about this character (and I`ve read almost all of them), I would have evaluated it much higher (but now my grade is only 7).

Every aspect of the show is great except one - lots of episodes differ from the original contents of the novels they are based on and sometimes it irritates me. But nevertheless it is always fun to watch every episode only because of the great perfomance of David Suchet.

Also, this show is a part of my childhood. I remeber watching new episode every friday on ORT (russian TV channel) with my mother. And now that I have a DVD collection in my possession, it gives me a warm feeling every time I see an episode I remeber watching 10 years ago... So, it has a sentimental value for me too. I liked it more back then though, as at the time I haven`t read any of Poirot stories.

So, the point of my review is (an this is only an opinion) - if you have never read about Poirot, you will be in love with this show (if you like the genre) and if you HAVE read the books, you will like the TV show anyway, maybe just a little less.
  • From the brilliant mind of Agatha Christie came yet another utterly absorbing character: the gentleman and deductive genius, Mr. Hercule Poirot.

Long before James 'Cracker' Fitzgerald or Jessica Fletcher ever set out on the trail of clues and culprits, there was the keen wit and signature eyepiece of confirmed bachelor Hercule Poirot. The picture of manners and intellectual precision, Poirot mulled over the evidence, pried information from the most secretive of witnesses and always nabbed the right suspect.

The books and show based on his character showcased the procedural style of problem-solving, while also allowing him to delve into the nature of the characters. He was a watcher of the ways of thinking, as well as actions. For every fingerprint or knocked-over vase in an alcove, there was a person's speech that tipped the scale toward the likelihood of guilt, and only the most astute of viewers could beat the detective to the solution.

Hercule Poirot--be glad he's on your side.
  • BEYOND COMPARISON!It is by far the best small screen mystery show ever.The cream of the show is none other than David Suchet(and his habits)paired with the ever so cool Hugh Fraser.Philip J. starring as a sturdy, down-to-earth incarnation of Inspector Jap

To start off I would like to make mention of the ever enmgrossing Intro Theme by Cristopher Gunning.It is a classic in its own right apart from the show.
    Aside from being the best show of its kind, I also believe that it is the best adaptation ever-FIRST CLASS. David Suchet is brilliant-unlike his predecessors.Suchet's Poirot is exactly what Christie wanted.POIROT is MODESTY DEFECIENT, which I am sure all his fans revel on.However there are a few plots as mysterious as others but are entertainting as ever.The satire JAPP-POIROT collisons are humurous & heart warming.
  • David Suchet *IS* Poirot.

Forget anyone who came before, even tour de forces from Ustinov and Finney pale into comparison. Lavish ITV productions of Poirot's cases have been a staple of the schedules for over 15 years and are going from strength to strength. Beautiful locations, artful sets, engaging plots, stirring music, starry guest casts, and brilliant supporting actors combine to make a near-flawless show. With Suchet's intention to film the entire canon, and just over a dozen stories remaining, this will stand as the definitive Poirot collection. I cannot recommend this series enough!
  • David Suchet portrays Agatha Christie's immortal detective in the long-running series which mostly stays true to the books

Love this series. Suchet definitely has forged his own larger-than-life adaptation of the Belgian sleuth. The productions are faithful to the time period in scenery, wardrobe, and etiquette. I hope they continue to make more episodes.
    My only small quibble - I have read the books, therefore I usually know whodunit. They have thrown a few curves into the endings, though.
    But then, so did Dame Agatha, even rewriting a couple of them.
  • David Suchet portrays Poirot, the fictional character made by Dame Agatha Christie, in a totally realistic, superb fashion.

I myself am a massive fan of murder mysteries and Dame Agatha Christie's, in my opinion, are certanly the best, because they have the best plot and they are a fascinating read. The films are equally as good, probably because of David Suchet's fantastic acting. He really steps into the Poirot role so superbly that in my opinion there are generally no flaws. He is a talented man, who brings the excellent books to life in an exciting and interesting way. The 2 hour films are excellent to watch and I would 100% recommend them. Perfect for Sunday evenings, they are a must-watch and it is most certainly my favourite TV programme. Also, each programme normally includes a number of famous actors and actresses that really make the film fantastic.
  • Brilliant!

Most definitely the best version of Agatha Christie's classic series!

David Suchet is, for me, the definative Poirot. The neat, dapper sleuth who uses 'the little grey cells' instead of guns, and violence.

The period settings are delightful, and one of my favourite eras is beautifully portrayed and becomes quote real to us.

Poirot is a top notch drama, and I feel it will last through the ages and the multitudes of other mystery shows.

• David Suchet gives a definitive performance as Hercule Poirot in this fun, well written series.

"Poirot" is my absolute favorite show. Period.

I first got into Agatha Christie when I read "And Then There Were None." I then proceeded to read "Murder on the Orient Express", and a few other Poirot books. Eventually I saw the David Suchet version of "The ABC Murders," and I was blown away.

Suchet was born to play the role. He researched meticulously by reading every single book or short story with Poirot. He has created a distinctive walk, voice, and above all, a lovable character.

Of course, the show is not all about Poirot. He is aided by his associate, the somewhat dim-witted but loyal Captain Hastings, Inspector Japp, and his secretary, Miss Lemon. There is such a sense of comradery in each of the episodes, and these three bring a lot to the show.

All the episodes are well-written, have baffling mysteries, and have fantastic production design, music, and acting. The show is still going strong, even though Hastings, Japp, and Miss Lemon are not present. Still, this is in some ways a breath of fresh air. But I look forward to their return in at least one more episode.

Long Live Poirot!
  • British adaptation of the Agatha Christie novels with leading character Hercule Poirot handling the most intriguing cases. Set in the 1930's-40's, a great effort in adapting the novels to television.

If there is someone I need to thank for getting me into watching detective shows and especially the wonderful Hercule Poirot, it’s my mother. Based on the novels by Agatha Christie, this British production has great adaptation from the novels and the casting makes this a great series. David Suchet, who does an excellent job, plays as Poirot. His demeanour as the eccentric at times detective is no short of brilliant and makes each episode an enjoyable experience. The supporting cast, along with the guest appearances in each episode make the series excel.
    Each episode captures the time period it is situated in (1930-40’s), a great feat for a British show produced in the early 90’s. Costumes, buildings and vehicles fit into the time periods very well that convince the viewer of authenticity of each scene.
    The plots for each episode vary from murder, theft and kidnappings. There is no case that the notorious Hercule Poirot cannot crack.
    Over the years I have viewed many episodes in random, however I have recently acquired the whole collection (seasons 1-5 & specials). This is a collection that is a must for viewers that enjoy British crime productions and of course fans of Agatha Christie novels!!