Agatha Christie's Poirot

The Adventure of the Clapham Cook

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Jan 08, 1989 on ITV

• Who'd have thought that a missing cook could be so problematic?

I did not realise that this was the opening episode. It is, however, typical Christie. A seemingly minor problem - the missing cook - becomes something much bigger once Poirot gets his little grey cells involved.

The way the story develops is perhaps a little obvious and we are in the world of disguises again, but it is not quite too obvious and is very watchable.

I particularly like Bridget Forsyth as the cook's employer. I still remember her from The Likely Lads and she still does righteous indignance very well, being more than a match for Poirot.

All in all, a little convoluted, but definitely worth watching.
  • The whole gang (Poirot, Hastings, Miss Lemon, and Japp) is present in the "Poirot" pilot episode.

This is the episode that started it all. And while it's good and is accurate to what future episodes would bring, it could have been better.

David Suchet is good as Poirot, but not great. But who can expect him to be? It is the first episode, and the character would develop a lot further in later episodes. "The walk" is not there, and Poirot smiles with his teeth visible, which if you look at later seasons, he never does. But I'm not blaming him at all. His performance is still fantastic.

Hastings, Japp, and Miss Lemon add to the fun. Hastings has many funny moments. It's always amusing to see him trying to catch up with Poirot and being left in the dark. Hugh Fraser, Philip Jackson, and Pauline Moran are all teriffic.

But the episode has a few flaws. I found the Scottish maid Annie annoying, as I could barely hear a word she said. The accent was far too thick. Also, Hastings makes a quick remark in the beginning about a bank, and later suddenly Poirot and Hastings are talking about the same bank and its importance. They keep talking about a man named "Davis" and I had no idea who he was. Only on watching it again could I comphrehend it, and even then I felt that not everything was made clear.

Still, it is a good episode, and I enjoyed it.