Agatha Christie's Poirot

The Chocolate Box

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Feb 21, 1993 on ITV

• This is one of my all time favourites. Even though the setting is not very original, the conclusion is brilliantly surprising.

In this episode Poirot returns to Belgium with Japp and Poirot's first case as a private detective from 24 years ago is brought up. This episode consists of Poirot going through the stages of the case up to the conclusion, which he had kept secret for all these years letting everyone else assume that he had failed to find the solution of the case.
    This episode had a very clever storyline and the conclusion took me totally by surprise although, as it very often happens, afterward I started thinking that I should have been able to work that out, it seemed so obvious after you had heard the whole story.
    The only thing I did not like about this episode was the confusion over alternating between current and the past. You had to concentrate in order to understand whether the scene had happened in the past or whether it was the present. The characters were different in detail only (eg. Poirot having a little more hair).
    I had an unexplainable dislike towards Paul Deroulard. His appearance annoyed me from the very beginning. This made me happy that he died, which I'm not sure was the original intention.
    Overall a very good episode and certainly worth watching.