Agatha Christie's Poirot

The Yellow Iris

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Jan 31, 1993 on ITV

• Six people sit at a table, one is poisoned. What a concept!

This idea, of course, has been done many times over, and a lot of those were from Dame Agatha. Some might argue with holes in the story, like why did the police not arrive to investigate and interview everyone, but that is a liberty given to the mystery genre as a whole. In this case, we follow along and try to catch all the clues. For those not familiar with the book, this is a great whodunit. The actors are superb, and the characters given enough depth that we can draw our conclusions. Poirot discovers enough about each suspect to keep us off balance until the obligatory climax. Set in a backdrop of political turmoil, financial misdoings, and selfish corruption, it is a treat for the eyes and ears. I could almost taste the potassium cyanide in the champagane. It doesn't get any better than this.
  • Cyanide in the champagne - how very Christie

A good episode, with a little insight into Poirot's past too and one of his few failures (not his fault, of course!)

A new restaurant is opening in London, and event that sparks off memories of a case years ago in South America, just as a coup was about to happen. A young woman is taken to a party, and during the champagne toast, promptly drops dead. Poirot is present and tries to investigate, but before he can he is hauled off by the authorities as a spy and deported!

The bereaved husband is determined to hold a similar event years later in London in her memory. But events seem about to take a very familiar turn.

It's all wonderfully ludicrous, but evocative, with a clever murder method that Christie has used more than once. The acting is fine for the most part, if a little overdone here and there. Production values are of the usual high standard. The story doesn't stand up to a lot of analysis, but then Christie did seem to churn these out at a rate of knots.