Ai yori Aoshi

Fuji Television (ended 2003)

Angus_Mac

Ai yori Aoshi Fan Reviews (11)

7.8
  • Another semi-harem romance comedy. Aoi and Karou were engaged by their families when they were children. Karou leave's his abusive home to live alone. Aoi still in love with him, tracks him down. Aoi and Karou try to hide their relationship.

I enjoyed this series way more than I should have. Yeah, it was overly sentimental. Yeah, it was disgustingly sweet. Yeah, it's another harem-romance-comedy. Yeah, I liked it better the first time when it was called Love Hina. But despite all this, I still enjoyed this series. It is greater than the sum of it's parts. Flat dialogue. Girls arguing and fighting over Karou. Linear story line. Love conquers all. Yeah, yeah, seen it all before. But still, I enjoyed it enough to empathize and sympathize witht the characters. The hidden romance was touching. Their innocence and genuineness was endearing. What can I say? I am a hopeless romantic at heart. Now, as much as I enjoyed the series, they really, really could have done a better job at it. The first four episodes had very strong, very relevant messages about social class, loyalty, gender, and responsibility. I had initially, thought that this was going to be a great anime. But by the 4th ep, it turned into a comedy and stayed there for the most part. Too bad. I would have liked to have seen a stronger message. If you like like this genre, give it a shot. If you are looking for ecchi/fanservice, it might not be your cut of tea. (Update: the day after I wrote this, I started the second season - yeah, there is a lot nudity/fanservice in the second, Enishi, season)