Airwolf Forums

CBS (ended 1987)

Would You?

dmarex

[1]Jun 26, 2006
    • level: 103
    If you could do it, would you travel back in time and cancel the show after 3 seasons, so the fourth season would never exist? Many fans, if not all, hated the final seasons. Tell me what you think.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Catwoman87531

[2]Jun 26, 2006
    • level: 55
    I would probably cancel it. I think some of the biggest issues are budgetary as they did not have enough money to keep any of the regulars and/or shoot the necessary scenes.

BRAH

[3]Jul 8, 2006
    • level: 4
    Actually the show was canceled after 3 seasons. After the 1985-86 season, CBS canceled the show due to too high production costs.

It was Universal that decided they needed more episodes to add to the series' 2nd-run syndication package for it to be more marketable, and decided to revive it for one more season on the USA cable network.

As for your question, I really don't think it matters in the end. I love "Airwolf" including Season 4, but in all honesty I think Seasons 2 & 3 did damage also. When you really sit down and examine the series, none of the subsequent seasons ever even came an ace of touching the excellent 1st Season. In alot of ways it wasn't even the same show after CBS got their hands in to it and started tweaking what Don Bellisario already thought was a fine show. Once they lost the foreign intrigue, it was never the same again. It's like taking the brilliance of "24" and having Jack Bauer suddenly start fighting prostitutes & kidnappers, instead of terrorists. This is what eventually was "Airwolf"'s demise.

PapaTazzz

[4]Jul 30, 2006
    • level: 53

I loved airwolf  Hard to say...........

joshjr

[5]Aug 22, 2006
    • level: 12
    I loved the show. It has been so lon ago that I dont remember the 4th season. If it ever comes on tv again I will watch every episode. But for now im not paying $150-200 for a knockoff set on ebay on 35 vcds. lol!

BRAH

[6]Sep 3, 2006
    Yeah, plus those sets on EBay are supposedly crap.

I bought some of those episodes YEARS AGO, from a more respected seller, and although the Season 3 episodes were in great quality, the Season 4 ones looks like complete crap. Only a few episodes looked good.

scottoner

[7]Nov 22, 2006
    • level: 5
    With everything going on in the world, Airwolf could make a comeback and have enough stuff for at least a couple of seasons. Maybe somewhere along the lines of a rogue agent finding Airwolf hidden and starts using to help the country.

twilightboy

[8]Nov 24, 2006
    • level: 23
    When i was a kid this kind of things like seasons and producers dint matter at all, all i care about was that a kick ass helicopter had guns all around and was killing bad guys. so all the seasons were great for me.

BRAH

[9]Jan 5, 2007
    scottoner wrote:
    With everything going on in the world, Airwolf could make a comeback and have enough stuff for at least a couple of seasons. Maybe somewhere along the lines of a rogue agent finding Airwolf hidden and starts using to help the country.

I agree. "Airwolf" could be done today with the right tweaking. Going from the Season 1-mold, it could very well be "24" with a cool helicopter.

However, like any successful super-vehicle show, it's got a ticking timebomb in it's lifespan as soon as it starts. Shows like that, you run out of ideas quickly. I mean, how many different stories CAN you write around a science fiction driven super-vehicle. The only 'successful' series of this nature, were "Airwolf", "Knight Rider", and "Viper", and none of them lasted past four seasons, two of which, did it over a span on different networks.

BRAH

[10]Jan 5, 2007
    scottoner wrote:

I agree. "Airwolf" could be done today with the right tweaking. Going from the Season 1-mold, it could very well be "24" with a cool helicopter.

However, like any successful super-vehicle show, it's got a ticking timebomb in it's lifespan as soon as it starts. Shows like that, you run out of ideas quickly. I mean, how many different stories CAN you write around a science fiction driven super-vehicle. The only 'successful' series of this nature, were "Airwolf", "Knight Rider", and "Viper", and none of them lasted past four seasons, two of which, did it over a span on different networks.

VanGriffin

[11]Jan 17, 2007
    • level: 8
    Yeah a nice combo show. Hawk plays the chello on the porch of his cabin, then goes blow things up with a cool helicopter

What could be better?

I think the show could be updated too. A lot of people didn't like season 3, but you know the show had to change somewhat. Even if that wasn't reason the reason it got cancelled.

LIke Knight Rider, you can only see Kitt Turbo Boost so many times before it gets old. Funny I heard that one was trying to make a comeback. Point is, things change.

But yeah, i miss this show terribly.

BRAH

[12]Mar 18, 2007
    This show wouldn't have gotten old if CBS would've let Bellisario do more of his "thang" with it. CBS wanted their own touch too much, and turned it into their "Knight Rider", which is what destroyed it.

"Airwolf" always was darker & took itself seriously, when it did the family-targeted "Knight Rider" thing, it just didn't work.

Kazzer1972

[13]Jul 18, 2007
    • level: 1
    I loved Series 1 - 3. I never watched Series 4, can't remember why but I know roughly what it was about. I was put off straight away by the fact they killed off Stringfellow Hawke and blew up Dominic. I have managed to virtually erase that from my memory and am currently reading the fan fiction by Rachel500. She totally re-wrote series 4 and it is sooooo much better. I recommend it if Blackjack ruined your Airwolf addiction.
    Roll on August by the way when series 3 comes out on DVD here in the UK ! HOORAY !!!!

Kazzer