Aladdin Forums

(ended 1995)

Genie's voice preference after watching the entire series

Snake2J

[1]Jan 23, 2007
    • level: 2
    So I rewatched Aladdin the movie and enjoyed it so much I set out to watch every movie and episode of the Aladdin series there is. Now I had only seen a small amount of the TV series and had never seen King of Thieves so I always preferred Robin Williams voice as the genie in the original opposed to Dan Castenella's in Return of Jafar.
    -
    Then I started watching the series and gradually over the course of the first 30 or so episodes I became accustum to Dan's voice as Genie so much that after I had watched all 86 episodes and started to watch King of Theives, all of a sudden Robin Williams voice just seemed wrong and I wanted to hear Dans voice again. The biggest difference I found was Dan's voice has a deeper tone than Robin's that you get so used to in the series that when watching King of Thieves and the original movie afterwards, it just becomes noticably too different and makes you want Dan's voice in there, which is so annoying because Robin Williams did such a great job.

Has this happened to anyone else who has watched the entire series chronologically?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Bountyhunterc28

[2]Jan 26, 2007
    • level: 31
    Snake2J wrote:
    So I rewatched Aladdin the movie and enjoyed it so much I set out to watch every movie and episode of the Aladdin series there is. Now I had only seen a small amount of the TV series and had never seen King of Thieves so I always preferred Robin Williams voice as the genie in the original opposed to Dan Castenella's in Return of Jafar.
    -
    Then I started watching the series and gradually over the course of the first 30 or so episodes I became accustum to Dan's voice as Genie so much that after I had watched all 86 episodes and started to watch King of Theives, all of a sudden Robin Williams voice just seemed wrong and I wanted to hear Dans voice again. The biggest difference I found was Dan's voice has a deeper tone than Robin's that you get so used to in the series that when watching King of Thieves and the original movie afterwards, it just becomes noticably too different and makes you want Dan's voice in there, which is so annoying because Robin Williams did such a great job.

Has this happened to anyone else who has watched the entire series chronologically?

No I prefer Robin Williams, he started out as the genie,a nd I think he should have been it in all 2 movies, even after watching the show, I still perfer Robin's voice to Dan's the genie was made to be a comic character and Robin did that best.

TerraGirl16

[3]Feb 16, 2007
    • level: 26
    I think they're both really good, I don't have a preference for either. Then again, I've seen alot less of the series than you guys, only a couple episodes....stinking Toon Disney only on Io....*grumbles*

From
    Terra

3StarvingArtist

[4]Feb 16, 2007
    • level: 10
    I'm prolly in the minority when I say this, but I thought both were good. Dan's voice doesn't bother me or anything.

NeitherSparky

[5]May 7, 2007
    • level: 30
    I know this is an oldish topic but, I know exactly how Snake feels. While I certainly don't wish Dan had done the theatrical movie I do rather wish he'd done King of Thieves. Listening to Robin do the theatrical Genie is great, but kind of weird, once you've gotten used to Dan - who did an AMAZING job in my opinion. To be perfectly straightforward, I think I do in fact prefer the personality Dan imparted to Genie to the personality exuded by the Robin Genie. It's not a matter of the performance itself, but rather the personality the actors gave the character. I just prefer the Dan Genie. To me, Robin's performance of a manic-type will always fit Batty Koda better than any other character anyways.

Enforcer2150

[6]Jun 11, 2007
    • level: 5
    I think that Robin's voice fits the first movie really well he did an excellent job. Then when Return of Jafar came out I had to get used to Dan's voice. By the time the series came out I was already used to Dan's voice that it didn't really matter much. I do think he did a better job in the series then in the second movie. The series is awesome and I'm glad everyone had the same voice like in the movies.

MisterMatthews

[7]Apr 25, 2008
    • level: 5
    No, I think Robin Williams is better suited for the role, because he can do all the awesome imitations that make the original movie and 'King of Thieves' stand out head and shoulders above the rest.

MoonKent

[8]Jun 7, 2008
    • level: 13
    I have to say that I prefer Robin Williams voice over Dan's for several reasons, but mostly because I prefer the personality of Rob's genie. Dan's version of Genie just seemed so powerless and seemed to exist only for comedic effect.