Aladdin Forums

(ended 1995)

If You Could Change Anything About the Movies/Series....

Comickook

[1]Jul 27, 2006
    • level: 9

What would it/they be? This is just a strictly for fun challenge, so nobody who doesn't want to tackle it doesn't have to, but anybody who DOES want to tackle this is more than welcome.

I'll start first:

Well, as for the first movie, I would have probably had Aladdin wish Genie free when he had the chance (actually, RIGHT AFTER the "Cave of Wonders" escape both so that we could see Al trying to earn Jas's affections completely honestly rather than pretending he was a Prince AND so that he can fight Jafar on even ground when the time comes [since Jafar wouldn't have the power the Genie gave him in the official version, he would be forced to rely mostly on his wits and daring in the fight against Aladdin, thus putting the playing field more or less even]).  Second, Jafar at the end of the first movie, WOULD be taken away by the royal guards to face execution (treason IS a capitol offense, after all) though Iago would make good HIS escape.  Third, AL and Jas WOULD be married at the end of the first movie.  As for the second and third movies, there wouldn't BE a second and third movie; Iago's semi-reform and Aladdin's father issues would actually start to be covered IN THE SERIES.  Speaking of the series, I would make Abis Mal a lot smarter AND much less klutzy. Heck, I'd make Abis Mal a "both brains AND brawn" type villain with a somewhat well-respected general public image [somewhat like an ancient Arabic version of Marvel Comics' the Kingpin]). I mean, as persistent as he is, he should at least have the brains and skills to show SOME legitimate threat rather than be stuck as a relatively minor annoyance villain. 

Edited on 02/18/2007 7:32am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TigressRoam

[2]Aug 17, 2006
    • level: 1
    The first movie was good, as was the second. I liked the series and the more Iago the better. Now we come to the third movie. The only thing I didn't like about it was the fact that Cassim left after all they'd been through and he took Iago WITH him! Why??? At least it was the end and I didn't have to not see Iago on the series. I mean, come on. Where would the show be without him to even it out?

Sandroco

[3]Aug 20, 2006
    • level: 3
    I would have swapped out the Cassim storyline in the third movie with a better one that included Mozenrath as Aladdin's brother.

dancingbeatle

[4]Aug 24, 2006
    • level: 45
    I don't know if this is true but I read somewhere that the Mozenrath storyline was the original idea for the movie.

Sandroco

[5]Aug 25, 2006
    • level: 3
    Yes, it was.

Marcus4

[6]Jan 2, 2007
    • level: 7
    If I could change anything, I would NOT kill off Jafar, and he would be the main villain in the Aladdin TV-series. The cut-off of Jafar was a bad idea and caused the Aladdin franchise to jump the shark.

Marcus4

[7]Jan 2, 2007
    TigressRoam wrote:
    The first movie was good, as was the second. I liked the series and the more Iago the better. Now we come to the third movie. The only thing I didn't like about it was the fact that Cassim left after all they'd been through and he took Iago WITH him! Why??? At least it was the end and I didn't have to not see Iago on the series. I mean, come on. Where would the show be without him to even it out?

The second movie, good??? Is this a joke?! The Return of Jafar was short and took its turn for the worse in the end, so I say the film STUNK!!!!

Bountyhunterc28

[8]Jan 26, 2007
    • level: 31
    The first and third movies where good, so I wouldn' change anything about them the second one, was ok, but the animation was poor, and I would have made it longer.

TimeHeroLink

[9]Feb 10, 2007
    • level: 10
    Remove all of Aladdin's horribly OOC episodes from the series.  (Especially "Witch Way Did She Go?"  God, I wanted Aladdin to die in that one.)

3StarvingArtist

[10]Feb 15, 2007
    I think I'd have Thundra and Eden show up more (I know some pple don't like the idea of Iago falling in love, but I personally love the idea myself *and* having those two lovebirds together as a couple, and I love Eden's personality), and give Mirage some better, clearer motives for her villainy. I'd also go into the pasts of many of the villains. I might come up with some more stuff later.
    Edited on 02/16/2007 10:06am

TerraGirl16

[11]Feb 16, 2007
    • level: 26
    I personally loved all of the movies and the TvShow, I couldn't find fault with any of it. However, if I was forced to change anything, I'd give Mozenrath more space, like a tv movie or something and possibly some villains teaming up together. Mozenrath I'd say was the creepiest villain from the series by far and I think could have presented a much greater threat. Also, Sadira if she put her mind to it could have been a greater threat, so I think she should have been in more episodes and I think that she should team up with Mozenrath.

That's intersting, I never knew they considered Mozenrath for the third movie plot!! I like how the forty theives ties it into the actual book story of "Arabian Nights" though. I'd have also included more about his father and mother, possibly in the tv series if not the movie. My biggest complaint about  Disney in general is they never go into a character's past too much, so I liked that they brought that into the third Aladdin movie. In others, ie. Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast, the main characters mothers are killed off without any explanation, I have no idea if Jasmine's mother is explained in the show, since I haven't seen the whole series but my guess would be not, so I'd like to see that explained.

From
    Terra

Marcus4

[12]Feb 16, 2007
    TerraGirl16 wrote:
    I personally loved all of the movies and the TvShow, I couldn't find fault with any of it. However, if I was forced to change anything, I'd give Mozenrath more space, like a tv movie or something and possibly some villains teaming up together. Mozenrath I'd say was the creepiest villain from the series by far and I think could have presented a much greater threat. Also, Sadira if she put her mind to it could have been a greater threat, so I think she should have been in more episodes and I think that she should team up with Mozenrath.

That's intersting, I never knew they considered Mozenrath for the third movie plot!! I like how the forty theives ties it into the actual book story of "Arabian Nights" though. I'd have also included more about his father and mother, possibly in the tv series if not the movie. My biggest complaint about  Disney in general is they never go into a character's past too much, so I liked that they brought that into the third Aladdin movie. In others, ie. Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast, the main characters mothers are killed off without any explanation, I have no idea if Jasmine's mother is explained in the show, since I haven't seen the whole series but my guess would be not, so I'd like to see that explained.

From
    Terra

TerraGirl16, you are deluded. The Return of Jafar was terrible and was the moment when the Aladdin franchise jumped the shark.

3StarvingArtist

[13]Feb 16, 2007

TerraGirl16 wrote:
    However, if I was forced to change anything, I'd give Mozenrath more space, like a tv movie or something and possibly some villains teaming up together. Mozenrath I'd say was the creepiest villain from the series by far and I think could have presented a much greater threat. Also, Sadira if she put her mind to it could have been a greater threat, so I think she should have been in more episodes and I think that she should team up with Mozenrath..

RoJ was ok. Personally, I like "King Of Thieves" slightly beter. My opinion, of course. Now, having some of the villains team up would've made for some great eps. I liked how they presented Sadira as being not exactly evil like Mozenrath or many of the other villains, IMHO. But to each his own.

TerraGirl16 wrote:

I would've liked to have seen the "Al and Mozenrath are brothers" thing as a movie as well. I also agree with your comments on how Disney doesn't go into many of their chars' pasts and how moms usually aren't around. There were plans to have Al's mom in the first film, but that got diced. But they still used the design for her in there -- she's the woman who says "Getting into trouble a little early today, aren't we, Aladdin?" As for your question about Jasmine's mom, I don't think they went into what happened to her in the show. It's too bad Cassim couldn't have appeared on the show, he's one of my favorite chars.

Comickook

[14]Feb 18, 2007
    3StarvingArtist wrote:
    I think I'd have Thundra and Eden show up more (I know some pple don't like the idea of Iago falling in love, but I personally love the idea myself *and* having those two lovebirds together as a couple, and I love Eden's personality), and give Mirage some better, clearer motives for her villainy. I'd also go into the pasts of many of the villains. I might come up with some more stuff later.

Yeah. i can understand your views on that, 3StarvingArtist. I'd actually agree with you on all those points (particularly concerning the "having Thundra and Eden appearing more" point [I'm a pretty big Iago/Thundra and Genie/Eden supporter myself]). As a matter of fact, that stuff I said in post one in this thread about covering the issues of Iago's semi-reform IN THE SERIES as opposed to having a second and third movie would DEFINITELY involve Thundra. I also would love to see the villains getting a bit more background coverage and character development, as you said yourself.

Comickook

[15]Feb 18, 2007
    3StarvingArtist wrote:

TerraGirl16 wrote:
    However, if I was forced to change anything, I'd give Mozenrath more space, like a tv movie or something and possibly some villains teaming up together. Mozenrath I'd say was the creepiest villain from the series by far and I think could have presented a much greater threat. Also, Sadira if she put her mind to it could have been a greater threat, so I think she should have been in more episodes and I think that she should team up with Mozenrath..

RoJ was ok. Personally, I like "King Of Thieves" slightly beter. My opinion, of course. Now, having some of the villains team up would've made for some great eps. I liked how they presented Sadira as being not exactly evil like Mozenrath or many of the other villains, IMHO. But to each his own.

I have to agree. I actually loved the fact that Sadria was one of the extremely few Aladdin villains who was NOT truly evil (she was never out to hurt anyone and she DID eventually acknowledge that her crush on Aladdin was just that; a crush; which led to her actually reforming [sort of like a ancient Arabic human Morgana McCawber, except Morg actually managed to snag Darkwing]). It awards Sadria much greater sympathy in MY eyes.

TerraGirl16 wrote:

I would've liked to have seen the "Al and Mozenrath are brothers" thing as a movie as well. I also agree with your comments on how Disney doesn't go into many of their chars' pasts and how moms usually aren't around. There were plans to have Al's mom in the first film, but that got diced. But they still used the design for her in there -- she's the woman who says "Getting into trouble a little early today, aren't we, Aladdin?" As for your question about Jasmine's mom, I don't think they went into what happened to her in the show. It's too bad Cassim couldn't have appeared on the show, he's one of my favorite chars.

Yeah. I have to agree with the points about the character past stuff too. As well as the stuff about Cassim appearing on the TV series. That's exactly why one of MY aforementioned changes in post one of this thread involved adressing Aladdin's parental issues IN THE SERIES as opposed to a second or third movie.

3StarvingArtist

[16]Feb 18, 2007
    Comickook wrote:

Yeah. i can understand your views on that, 3StarvingArtist. I'd actually agree with you on all those points (particularly concerning the "having Thundra and Eden appearing more" point [I'm a pretty big Iago/Thundra and Genie/Eden supporter myself]). As a matter of fact, that stuff I said in post one in this thread about covering the issues of Iago's semi-reform IN THE SERIES as opposed to having a second and third movie would DEFINITELY involve Thundra. I also would love to see the villains getting a bit more background coverage and character development, as you said yourself.

Thanks. You definately have some interesting ideas on how the series could've been changed (I particularly like your thoughts about nixing the sequels and having the series cover Cassim and how Iago goes about joining the good guys), tho I admit, seeing a confident and more challenging Abis Mal would definately throw me for a loop! Still, very interesting stuff.

3StarvingArtist

[17]Feb 18, 2007
    3StarvingArtist wrote:

Comickook wrote:
    I have to agree. I actually loved the fact that Sadria was one of the extremely few Aladdin villains who was NOT truly evil (she was never out to hurt anyone and she DID eventually acknowledge that her crush on Aladdin was just that; a crush; which led to her actually reforming [sort of like a ancient Arabic human Morgana McCawber, except Morg actually managed to snag Darkwing]). It awards Sadria much greater sympathy in MY eyes.

*nods* I couldn't have out it better myself. She could've been another Saleen (a sociopathic stalker), but she turned out to be a good ally of Al and co. Come to think of it, Sadira *is* a lot like Morgana.