Alcatraz Forums

FOX (ended 2012)

Kind of a Cliched Show

Mesden

[1]Jan 24, 2012
    • level: 1

Everything about this show, to me, seems a little cliche. Everything from the narration of the intro to the moments where the writers try to make things emotional. The whole concept just seems too unbelievable in the sense that they're taking an actual event (the closure of Alcatraz) and making something so far-fetched in trying to make it believable.

Does anyone else think this?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

BarryWeen3

[2]Jan 24, 2012
    • level: 14

Mesden wrote:

Everything about this show, to me, seems a little cliche. Everything from the narration of the intro to the moments where the writers try to make things emotional. The whole concept just seems too unbelievable in the sense that they're taking an actual event (the closure of Alcatraz) and making something so far-fetched in trying to make it believable.

Does anyone else think this?

I think it's cliched in that you can see all the elements that make it a typical JJ Abrams show. You've got the convict/63er of the week like in POI. There's a backstory/mystery mythology a la Lost. You've got a small team working to solve this "mystery" similar to Fringe. Etc.

It's an interesting approach, IMO, to take a real-life event and put this fantasy/mystery spin on it.

stikves

[4]Apr 2, 2012
    • level: 5
    Why do they have to repeat all the bad police cliches in this show?

1 - They never call for proper backup, and always let the bad guys escape at least once.

2 - They don't use handcuffs or tasers when the situation clearly requires so

3 - They don't track cell phones, at least not regularly. Every d*mn cell phone is a radio, which can be pinpointed even without a gps chip inside (not very accurately, but at least to a block degree). Why still insis on "cannot track before 60 seconds" stupudity?

4 - Why is everything hackable so easily? -- "I tapped into police chatter", "I disabled the gps chip"

5 - Why don't they actually talk to each other? This is not lost, these are policemen

6 - They are unable to open a metal door without keys? Come on, the door was installed there, and the room was carved on the other side. If the tools to do those existed in 1960s, why can't they use the same to tear it down?

Especially the season final was a worse offender. Cars exploding after a simple flip? Nobody waiting at the place where they know the bad guy will go? Not shutting down a closed parking lot, when you know the bad buy needs to exit with a van? Not tasing the guy, and going very near to him, so that he can hurt you? Questions, questions...

OzTraveller

[5]Apr 8, 2012
    • level: 14

I don't understand why everyone is really down on this show. It is original, aka what other people have said in terms of taking a real event and adding a fantasy alternative explanation. Have people seen the other trash on tv? And yet there are shows there going into their 4th and 5th seasons and the plot is barely tangible.

Maybe it is just that people don't like to think while watching tv. Maybe people just prefer to watch their own lives being portrayed on tv - jersey shore, real housewives etc. Shame on you people for not challenging yourself to actually sit their for 45 minutes and try to piece together a tv mystery. Sure it wasn'tDostoevskyor Shakespeare style plot writing, but come on.

stikves

[6]Apr 21, 2012
    • level: 5
    OzTraveller wrote:

I don't understand why everyone is really down on this show. It is original, aka what other people have said in terms of taking a real event and adding a fantasy alternative explanation. Have people seen the other trash on tv? And yet there are shows there going into their 4th and 5th seasons and the plot is barely tangible.

Maybe it is just that people don't like to think while watching tv. Maybe people just prefer to watch their own lives being portrayed on tv - jersey shore, real housewives etc. Shame on you people for not challenging yourself to actually sit their for 45 minutes and try to piece together a tv mystery. Sure it wasn'tDostoevskyor Shakespeare style plot writing, but come on.

I personally do not dislike the show because I don't want to think about it, actually it's the opposite. As I start to think about the situations, they make less, and less sense. It's not about the "hybrid" universe they have, however the very basic mistakes they do while portraying the characters.

When I watched Lost, there was usually a sense of wonder, here there is a sense of resentment.