ALF

NBC (ended 1990)

gwactuary

ALF Fan Reviews (83)

• The Best of the Best!

Just as many of the other commentators have pointed out, there are not many shows like this anymore. It was hilarious and each episode would brighten up one's day. Its humor wasn't derived from some nonsense like sex or fart jokes, but something better. It was family-friendly and actually taught life lessons in the show, instead of putting sex, drugs, and violence on a pedestal. I would recommend it to anyone.
  • Is on My Top 5 TV Show

I have to agree with a lot people here, this is a great show and too bad anyone makes a good TV shows anymore. Now all the TV Shows are about Sex, Money, Drugs, Crime, Killing not saying that's bad because unfortunately that's what happening in the world right now but some are too bloody. What happened with the family TV shows? But would it be AWESOME if NBC bring back ALF but as a new TV show let say from where season 4 ended. I know a lot people are going to be happy about it.
  • Best Alien on Earth

ALF is just that kind of character that is not hated in episodes as well as liked. This is by far my second favorite TV show ever behind My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I find ALF's jokes to be very clever and well thought through. This can also be a true favorite to any family. There are many episodes that prove that this show is very hilarious. ALF also does the funniest things ever, such as chase the family cat. I also have a strong heart for ALF. This might be because there are episodes proving so, like in "We Are Family" where he is sad after he finds out he will be one of a kind, and in "Funeral for a Friend" where he loses his ants. I also like the puppeteering style of ALF. If ALF ever crashed in my garage, I would let him stay.
  • Alf is in Buenos Aires, Agentina!! Check it out!!

• When Sitcoms Were Good

They do not make sitcoms this good anymore. ALF carries a very creative story and some very funny jokes delivered by Paul Fusco as the titular character. That's just the start of how good this character is. Not only is ALF the funniest sitcom character ever penned on the small screen, he's also one of the most interesting. When ALF is in a bad situation, you feel for him and you're really invested in ALF's character. Paul Fusco does a very good job at making this alien puppet a very likable character, giving us some very talented puppetry. You're also very invested in Mr. Tanner, his wife Kate, and the children, Lynn and Brian, who are DEFINITELY not brats like modern day child/teen characters in sitcoms... *cough*debbyryan*cough*. I also really enjoy The Ochmoneks (not Jake though... his character is not written very well) Their shtick of arguing all of the time is executed very hilariously, and I think John LaMotta's accent is hilarious! Although some episodes don't live up to the show's potential, this show nevertheless ranks as a classic, and it is one of the best shows of all time.
  • Alien from Melmac crashes on earth bringing people lots of fun and a hip hairstyle.

Haha, funny show is this one. Our hairy extraterrestrial being chasing the family's cat to eat it was always a laugh, how about the times when his ideas were misunderstood by his human friends? That was pretty much everyday life for Alf and pretty much the basis for all the episodes in this sitcom. The humor is there and the jokes are clean you don't have to worry about anything, this is humor for all the family.

In the bottom of my mind i was always wishing for Alf to be caught but they never did, fully. Fun and clean, what else do you need? you don't find this kind of sitcom anymore.
  • I loved Alf....

I am a Great-grandmother,,,but I loved Alf. I always have. I didn't think he was ugly, I thought he was cute, and funny. I guess I still have some "kid" in me. I have the large stuffed, talking Alf, and the smaller one. I wish they would bring back the series. I have quite a number of oldie favorites TV shows, but Alf would have to be in the top three. Always will be. I am watching the reruns on HUB.
  • Great show.

This show to me, played a major role in my childhood! I'm half german and grew up in germany and my love for ALF started when I was around 4-5 when my mum gave me all her old cassettes of the episodes of ALF I used to listen to them every night before bed even though there wasn't any visual material audio wise I loved it, also I remember reading my uncles ALF comic books too which sit proudly in my book shelf now! But then when I reached the age of around 7 I started watching the tv series it used to be on each morning on a german channel "Pro7" from there on I just watched it daily! I recently purchased the US DVD box set of all seasons and I have to say I much prefer watching and hearing it in german, but I guess thats how I grew up by watching it in german. But in general amazing tv show! I just wish tv would be as good now as it was then, I find myself watching more shows/movies from the early/late 80's - 90's than whats on now.
  • Very original sitcom and very enjoyable

I think that ALF is a great show and is my favorite of all the 80's sitcoms. The characters in this show are good and like able although my favorite would be Alf since he made every episode interesting and always gave me some good laughs. With all of this said if you enjoy 80's sitcoms like me, then I highly recommend this show to you!
  • This is one show i could watch any day

I enjoyed watching Alf when i was very young and now i watch them on DVD and online. Alf was hillariously mischievious and it was so funny. I would laugh like crazy when i'd watch this show. I think they could have come up with more ideas and more episodes of this show today, even if Alf was living with different people. Shows like this remind me alot of shows like Dennis the Menace, I Love Lucy, Everybody Hates Chris, and Gilligan's Island. One of my favorite episodes of Alf was the one with the cockroach. I thought it was funny how the regular spray made the cockroach larger.
  • What happened to the ORIGINAL version of this Episode? ALF gets Electrocuted with Kates Mixer in the bathtub simulating a Whirling Hot tub. He doesn't hit his head on the tub. ALF walking into the living room with his Fur smoking, was Priceless.

1.5
    This is just Wrong.
    Anyone who has the Syndicated version of this episode recorded, go to the part where Lynn tells willie::

"Dad, ALF hit his head and lost his memory".

If you read her lipps, what she really says is::

"Dad, ALF got Electrocuted and lost his memory".

When Lionsgate put ALF on DVD, i knew something was wrong as soon as i watched The Pilot Episode or Episode #1.

The Original Pilot episode started with a Pan of the backyark with Willie and Brian and was 26 minutes long.
    The DVD version is only 21 minutes and 30 seconds long, maybe.

The run time on the back of the DVD said 620 minutes.
    That's correct for the Original NBC airings.
    The actual DVD runtime is only 500 minutes.
    That's 2 hours of ALF that are sitting on the Editing Room Floor.

I will buy the DVD versions when Lionsgate, Releases the Original UnCut versions and not before.
    If you bought the DVDs of ALF and the Pilot episode starts in the garage, you got Rooked.

Write or Call Lionsgate and tell them you want ALF in Complete and UnCut DVDs.

I did.

Vic in Vancouver U.S.A.
  • One of the greatest shows of the '80s!

When I saw one of the episodes on YouTube, I started to like "ALF". This show was hilarious! ALF himself was funny! I got season 1 for my birthday last year and season 2 for Christmas last year. I'm getting Season 3 for my birthday. This show is about an alien named Gordon Shumway crash-landing on Earth when his homeplanet on Melmac exploded and he lives with a family called the Tanner family. Willie's the father, Kate's the mother and Lynn and Brian are the kids. This show should be brought back on TV. Like I said, "ALF" is one of the greatest sitcoms of the '80s, right up there with "Coach" and "Family Matters".
  • "ALF" is one of those shows that are very funny on first viewing and midly funny the second time.

When I saw this television series for the first time, I was prepared to give it a 8.0. But then later I put it to the test and view "ALF" again and see if it stands the test of time. I doesn't hold up very well on second viewing. "ALF"'s basic premise is about an alien named Gordon who crashes into the garage of the Tanner family. The Tanners soon accept Gordon in to the family and is nicknamed ALF (alien life form). The family must take care of ALF and hide him from the government. "ALF" is funny if you only watch Alf. The rest of the family is usually just standing there and is always just pawns in ALF's wacky antics. The family are rather dull compared to ALF. Willie and Kate Tanner just have little chemistry maybe because of the destraction of a certain little puppet who keeps stealing the show. The sad part, is the fact that the actors who protray the family are forever typecasted as the Tanners, which is embrassing when, the puppet is stealing the show. Back to ALF, Alf does deliver great lines which bring a smile to your face. I recommend this show still for ALF. But, don't expect to laugh out loud once ALF left the buliding.
  • He is the funniest alien!

Man, ALF is so funny always, on every episode.
    ALF crashed his speceship in the garage of the Tanners. The Tanners was a normal family. Willie, Kate, Lynn, Brian, Kate´s mom, also appeared many times, that was the family Tanner. Until ALF arrived to their lives, now they have an alien living on their house! The Ochmoneks, Trevor and Raquel, later came Jake, their nephew. They are the neighbors of the Tanners, they appear since the pilot episode. Since, the second episode "Strangers in the night" I was already cracking up so bad with this show. It was absolutely funny! The show continues with excellent humor, making you laugh so much. It was totally great for each person I knew. But... it sometimes gets old. The show was awesome.
    ALF was so naive and stupid, who doesn´t love him?
    Oh my GOD WAS FUNNY!
    How can people trash this show? I think it´s extremely underrated for how funny this was. Why wouldn´t you like ALF?
  • A L F

ALF is another one of the favorite shows during my childhood. And I still enjoy it to this day. Every friend and acquaintance of mine loved this show. Some kids I knew back then wished ALF would've crashed into their garage! ALF has left some very fond memories. Short synopsis: One day the Tanner family was in their garage they hear a strange noise and it was a spaceship that eventually crashed into their garage and then discover ALF and he became a part of the family. ALF was also a bit of a troublemaker and a prankster as well
    ALF even had some heartfelt moments, too.
  • How do you know if someone is an 80's kid???

You bring up ALF. I do not know one person from the eighties who does not know this show and loved it. It was so great for the time. Now as an adult, I get to watch it all over again and get the jokes I did not understand the first time around. And now that all the seasons are on DVD I can throw out all those tapes. though I will miss watching the eighties commericals I taped by accident. This show was great popcorn entertainment. You sit down on monday nights, veg out and laugh. You don't see sitcoms like this anymore. and you have to the clothes and chessy theme music.
  • VERY FUNNY

This very, very, very funny show from the 1980's (1986-1990) is about a family who experience an alien spaceship landing in their garage. When they get the alien out of it and realize what he is, they end up keeping him and haywire ensues. ALF always gets into trouble, always chases the cat, always eats EVERYTHING, always talks to Willie & irratates Kate. He is ALWAYS thinking about himself & putting the house in jeopardy. ALF also had to deal with being home-sick & meeting (on accident) Willie's friends. He also loved to be the center of attention & he had to hide from the Tanner's next door neighbors: The Ockmonicks.

This show was brilliant and if NBC hadn't been so STUPID! they would not have green-lit them for a 5th season and then pull them off in the summer of 1990. This wouldn't be bad, but the writers went out on a limb & gave season 4 a cliffhanger episode! To this day, the only way you know what happens to ALF & the family is to rent a movie called : "Project ALF" I have never seen it myself, so 17 years later, I'm still sctratching my head. Anyone who loved the show can't be mad at the writers for making a cliffhanger episode. Everybody does it. They were just on the wrong network. NBC is going downhill fast. The have "ALF" & cancel it. They have epic shows like: "Seinfeld", "Friends" & "M*A*S*H" who have a good run and then leave! NBC is stupid!
  • I want an ALF!

While visiting my family a few weeks ago, I had an opportunity to watch some of the first episodes of ALF on DVD. It had been over ten years since I last watched the show, but I found it just as entertaining, if not more so, than I did when I was a kid. I love the relationship between Willie and ALF - it reminds me of my boyfriend and my dog (although my dog is considerably less intelligent than ALF). This is just such a quality television show. There was no need for sexually explicit attempts at humor in this show; the writers just made us laugh with ALF's wit and ornery nature. I miss shows like this, shows you could sit down and watch with the whole family. I still want an ALF of my own!
  • ALF reminds me of a guy I knew in high school

My sister rented episodes of ALF on Netflix for a trip to the beach, and I had forgotten how much I enjoyed this show as a kid when it first came out.

ALF's expressions crack me up as much as anything else, but his reactions and tastes for all things Earth, combined with his wordly wit and wisdom are hilarious. Match that with his boorish but unintentional self-centeredness and this show really was a gem. It is startling how much ALF reminds me of a guy I knew in high school. They were both sarcastic, witty, hyperintelligent, and ahead of their time.
  • Just A Great Show

When i first saw ALF on dvd i loved the show. From the first episode it was a laugh out loud show. Even though ALF was a alien he acted human pretty much all the time. I always like how he talks about Melmac and how its all crazy. And he is so sarcastic to willy. I think the whole cast worked from start to finish. Everyone worked together well. It usualy was more with Alf & Willy. The kids were in it alot but never really about them. Sometimes they were and i always liked Lyyn more just cause her and ALF had a great bond. Brian was ok but less involved and he was never that interesting. Willy is the best of the parents and kate is there just as they annoyed one of the family. But it all works. As for the two side characters. Wilys bro and kates mom they were ok. I liked willys bro alot. Though he was not in it much since he was on season four. Kates mom was ok but still worked since ALF always yelled at her. The neighbors i always disliked them to tell truth. Sometimes they were good but mostly never cared for them. Trevor was the only one i cared for. Cause he was funny usually. In the end a classic comedy that deserved at least one more season but had a good run.
  • Just A Great Show

When i first saw ALF on dvd i feel in love with the show. From the first episode it was a laugh out loud show. Even though ALF was a alien he acted human pretty much all the time. I always like how he talks about Melmac and how its all crazy. And he is so sarcastic to willy. I think the whole cast worked from start to finish. Everyone worked together well. It usualy was more with Alf & Willy. The kids were in it alot but never really about them. Sometimes they were and i always liked Lyyn more just cause her and ALF had a great bond. Brian was ok but less involved and he was never that interesting. Willy is the best of the parents and kate is there just as they annoyed one of the family. But it all works. As for the two side characters. Wilys bro and kates mom they were ok. I liked willys bro alot. Though he was not in it much since he was on season four. Kates mom was ok but still worked since ALF always yelled at her. The neighbors i always disliked them to tell truth. Sometimes they were good but mostly never cared for them. Trevor was the only one i cared for. Cause he was funny usually. In the end a classic comedy that deserved at least one more season but had a good run.
  • Great show that gets better with age.

This is my favorite show since I was a child, now being 23, it is even better. It may be the wacky humor to Alf bazar Melmac ways, but whatever makes it unforgettable is too wide of a range to decide. Alf gives lots of laughs and smile when he crashes into the gargage roof in Esp 1 to his capture by the Alien Task Force. I never get tired of any episode, when when seeing them 80 times. Even ones I have never seen are good, I now have the DVD's (I do recommend you record them off tv, Liongate DVD's are chopped & hacked up).The only bad thing is that NBC didn't let it continue with a fifth season.
  • great show!

it was a bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad ending i really don't know why they cancelled the show, it was really funny and i watched all the episodes and u never get bored but the finalle was great but the way it ended was bad... it think that there might had been another season to explain... as the season finale consider me gone was a really great episode, but as the series finale was a really bad episode nbc made a big mistake and the movie is bad too, i mean it was great but without the tanner it was not the same.. anyway, very good series
  • Would you like a side of fries with your cat? XD

This was a childhood favorite of mine when I was young. I used to watch it syndicated on Channel 20 in Maryland (before it was UPN or My20) right before Captain N the Game Master and The Disney Afternoon came on. Every episode I watched was always able to make me laugh. As I grew up, the show left the air for newer shows. While that happened I turned to other shows but at times I missed the humor ALF gave to me. The last time I saw it showing was the chrismas special, I missed most of it and just saw one part (though I own it now on The ALF Files DVD). Now years later, the show has come to DVD, when I saw it in the stores, I immediately got some money to buy the DVD set. I was able to laugh all over again, sadly they are the syndicated episodes. A very disrespectful way to release the series. DVD sets are meant for the shows in their original format. Still it's the only way to even watch the show right now, so as long as I buy the DVD Sets used, I don't contribute to much, and unlike certain dubbed anime (glares at 4Kids) it's still of the original. Still buying it used contributes less to the edited there for maybe teaching Lion's Gate a lesson. Still a lot of fans have complained, so maybe over time, another company will fix it.

I recommend this show to many people who love humor and such. And those who may have liked Sesame Street XD.
  • Alf is dam good!!!!!!!

he is awesome. I really think that he is very very funny and fabulous too. this show is also awesome. Every one in this show is awesome. the story can impress any one.Not only alf but other actors also put their best effort to make this show best n if u talk about alf then I m speech less.
  • instant family classic, one of the most original sitcoms ever!!!

Less than 5 years ago, I was an anti-ALF person. I couldn't stand the show. But after acutally giving the show a chance after watching an episode of the Canadian Family channel late at night, I feel in love with the furry little alien we call ALF. Every show was witty and funny and the series ended WAY to prematurely. Four seasons? that's a disgrace. There was so much to be done after the season 4 finale. Even the TV movie in 1996, Project ALF, didn't really do it all for me. The fact that it was missing the Tanners still left a void in the story for me. Non-the-less ALF was still a great show, and continues to be a hit on my television through DVDs!
  • it's an 80's icon

I think it wasn't the best sit-com in the 80's but it was in the top 20 maybe. Alf is a huge part of TV history, it was a good and original idea, with an alien in the house, they have had Jeanie's and Witches and all other sorts of things, but this show was different. The writing wasn't all that great, but it didn't need to be because that alien had a personality of his own, that made the show pretty entertaining to watch. They had the typical nosey neighbor, like most 80's shows do, and it was just a fun show to watch as a kid.
  • In the begnning of the show, The Tanner's(Willy-dad, Kate-mom, Lynn-teenager,Bryan-child) find an alien named Gordan Shumway who has crashed into their garage.In the third season, they have another baby. The show ends sadly, when Alf tries to leave earth.

I love this show. I own all of the seasons, a bunch of comic books, and the TV movie. I think Alf is the coolest and most funny alien ever. This TV show portrays aliens in a new way. I think the show gets a little worses when Lynn goes to college but it is still very good. I really wished the show could've ended better. The end of the show where Alf gets caught by the Alien Task Force was not supposed to end that way. That was supposed to be a cliff hanger for the next season, but they ended the show, because it was too hard to produce and took too much money. When Alf stars in the TV movie, ALF finally becomes an ambassador. He is free! I hope you enjoy this show, I know I did!
  • somethings that you remember about childhood. alf is one of them.

when i think back to my childhood i remember many things. but one of the few things that makes me feel like a child again is alf. the show is based around the tanner family and the their guest. he's and alien life form that has been nicknamed alf. he was the last member of his planet which was destroyed by a neclear holicoast. the family takes him in as one of their own.

there was alot that could be learned from this show. alot about how we should treat each other and how family is prehaps the greatest thing in life.
  • ALF

ALF is TV show from the 80's and it is good for all no matter how old you ALF is the same funny little ailen that we all know ALF is about a ailen who crashes his UFO in the garage of the Tanner family rather then turn him in the the goverment the protect him but with having a ailen leaving in the house causes some probelms ALF breaks just about everything and he eat just about everything as well as wells as the cat lucky all in all ALF is a great TV for the whole family THE END
< 1 2 3